Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 8:25:20 PM EDT
Watching the news and listening to all this talk about terror strikes has gotten me to think what i would do in a shtf situation.You know, a Red Dawn kinda deal, since my town isnt big and our police station although not small, is in the next city over. Got me to think how i would survive in the woods and defend myself and others if something happens. The only thing of value in my area is a nuclear power plant which is like 15 miles from here. Now, i have a SAR1 but thats all a college kid can afford(and have accessories/ammo/mags) right now so more guns isnt really a good answer, i have a truck(4cyl-2wd) and a semi AK47. What elso do i need or should have. What do you guys have? How many mags/ammo? I live in FL so water in plentiful. Ive made a list of what would be needed to survive: Water decontamination pills or something like them. MRE's or some kind of food rations. Sealed clothes(BDUs,socks,underwear). Boots. Pots/pans. Knives. Gasoline. Explosives(for counter-strikes of course) Nature books(Red berries or purple ones).Medicine/suplies. Please tell me if im missing something. A SAR1 i know is only accurate soo far, but is reliable and good in close combat and other close situations. The only other guns i want to get are ones with cheap mags so i can have alot. Also accurate and reliable. I was thinking a cetme. Are they any good? On cheaperthandirt.com 20rd mags are like 2 dollars. I read the SAR review and they said it was pretty good for its price. Any firsthand experiance? Im not paranoid, i just dont want to be in a mass brainwash camp.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Easy cheese, ritz crackers, box wine and ex lax.  

EDIT TO BE SERIOUS:

If you're thinking "cheap" and accurate, think again.  Go for an AR15, which is cheaper than any decent FAL and mags are pretty cheap as well.  CDNN has Israeli Orlite 30 rnd mags for $10 right now and you can build your AR for less than $600.  

A SHTF bag can have many many items for a huge range of SHTF possibilities.  Where do you live?  Near a big (nuke target) city?  Near a chem factory?  There are too many variables to plan for on a limited budget.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to AR15.com hwave a lookie over at the Survival forum ... you'll fit right in [:D]

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
What is a SHTF cache? [lol]

I have a Nuke power plant right up river from me if someone nails that I guess I'll be getting some radiation poisioning, maybe I should stock up on Iodine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Rosie reruns, a box a tissues and a pack of smokes.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Laptop & wireless modem so I can post updates as everything is going to hell.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 140 guns and 30,000 rounds of ammo.
I will take what I need.  [devil]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Here is a link to my thread in the Survival Forum in which I detail my current level of preparation, including seven pictures.

Hope it helps answer a question or two.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=218802[/url]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#8]
sorry, i didnt know we had a survival forum
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#9]
A terrorist attack will not resemble a Red Dawn. We aren't talking about a major invasion and a lengthy war. You're talking a quick strike that's over before you know what even happened. So by the time you realize it was a terrorist attack, you will either be dead or you'll be safe and the attackers will have killed themselves in the process. Therefore going around loaded like Rambo will do you little good. A weapon would be most useful in case the area in which the attack occurred became chaotic afterward. But it will likely do you little good during an actual attack. So instead keep plenty of first-aid supplies, some food and water and some extra clothes/shelter items with you. The SAR should be plenty adequate to offer you any post-attack protection you might need. In the future I might recommend adding a handgun because you might need a more discrete carry option at times when a rifle might be too much.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i have a truck(4cyl-2wd) and a semi AK47. What elso do i need or should have....Please tell me if im missing something.
View Quote

You have a rifle and transportation. You have the means to get anything else you need when times are tough.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Welcome to AR15.com hwave a lookie over at the Survival forum ... you'll fit right in [:D]

View Quote

Wow, He's opening a big ole can of worms.

I'm not bugging out if at all possible. If the local power plant melts down my bug out plans involve vehicle travel. It would have to be a really worse case scenario for my to have to go it on foot with a rucksack.

www.assaultweb.net has a lot of SHTF fantasy types who spend every minute of their day debating this stuff. You might want to lurk there for awhile.

BTW: Cache usually means stuff stashed away from home, often hidden.  If you own more than one piece of property, it's generally a good idea to split your gear up, rather than having all your eggs in one basket.  I split mine up by Caliber. I keep most of my stuff at my primary residence. But I keep all my 7.62x39mm guns and ammo at a seperate location.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#12]
What part of FL you from?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:33:35 AM EDT
[#14]
don't ferget a humidor full of nice cigars, and of course a hot redhead to bide yer time with!

and a super accurate bolt action .270
and a FAL w/ a couple doz mags
and a few ARs w/ several doz mags
and an AK w/ a couple doz mags
and a pump 12ga w/ a bandoleer of mixed 00 & slug

the whiskey was already covered, essential item there!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#15]
One of the most important items you NEED to have in order to survive is WATER, you need "at least" about 1 gallon per day per person.
Water is probably the easiest thing to get and the item most people will not have at hand in case of an emergency.
Besides the gallons you already have in your water heater you should have a few jugs or barrels with water.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#16]
OK, i guess my real question was; Do you guys build up just large amounts of ammo? Or am i not alone in a small amount of gear. Not as hardcore as the guys in the survival thread. The powerplant is far enough away to have ample time to move upwind. And for Tac45 im about 100 miles north of Miami in Martin County.

FWIW; lol the name of this thread is all that i could think up when i posted it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top