Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 6:28:04 PM EDT
No,  RUSH the band not the windbag !

For all the closet RUSH fans around the new RUSH in Rio concert DVD is pretty good, it's worth renting. They havn't done one since Show of Hands and they do 2112, Cygnus X-1 and Bytor and the Snow dog on this one probably just as good as they could do back in 70's !
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]WINDBAG?!?!?!?!?[/B]

That must have come from a clinton supporter.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hop-head would have been more appropriate.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The DVD has its good points and bad points.  

Bad: The crowd noise is too loud in the mix.  The music mix isn't very good.  The video editing is extremely quick, e.g. 2-second shots jumping around from view to view.  Geddy is not just a singer, he also plays bass - show it!

Good: Rush concert DVD.  Good variety of songs.

YMMV...

DrMark
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:05:32 AM EDT
[#4]
DemocRAT Alert!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:18:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Add it to the Christmas list...

Edited to add:  I like the 'windbag' too.  He is entertaining.  YMMV
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:19:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you mean by that?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:46:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The windbag is entertaining.  He lost a lot of respect during his drug episode.

"Drug infested Maggots" indeed.

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#9]
[size=3]Druggies too! You have to admit that Rush Limbaugh, aka El Drugo, has been acting like an idiot. I don't know how anybody can listen to his hypocritical arse (previous poster excepted of course).[/size=3]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Screw RUSH, the band not the patriot!

[:D]

Their music sucked out loud!

Eric The(Dittohead)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Way to come in to a thread and piss on a band which many of us love.  Rush is made up of three of the best musicians ever to play in a rock band.

Now, back on topic, I bought Rush in Rio as soon as it was released.  It's great.  Be sure to watch the documentary on Disc 2.

DrMark, also on Disc 2 are three of their songs which allow you to choose from which camera you watch.  If you like Geddy, you can watch his work all the way through these.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Rush the band?

Who gives a shit?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Jazz is Weird
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Kill-9

"...,Rush is made up of three of the best musicians ever to play in a rock band."

You have got to be kidding...
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kill-9

"...,Rush is made up of three of the best musicians ever to play in a rock band."

View Quote

I think he was John Rusty wasn't all that good anyhow.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[size=3]Druggies too! You have to admit that Rush Limbaugh, aka El Drugo, has been acting like an idiot. I don't know how anybody can listen to his hypocritical arse (previous poster excepted of course).[/size=3]
View Quote

[size=3]Do us all a favor and stay in CA.[/size=3]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Kill-9

View Quote

No, actually Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart are really pretty talented musicians.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kill-9

View Quote

No, actually Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart are really pretty talented musicians.
View Quote

Nope, John Rusty played on their first album and left the band for personal reasons. Thats when they picked up Peart.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I thought we had weeded out all the liberal Klinton apologists on this board a long time ago. Looks like another one has reared his ugly head...

Quoted:

For all the closet RUSH fans around the new RUSH in Rio concert DVD is pretty good, it's worth renting. They havn't done one since Show of Hands and they do 2112, Cygnus X-1 and Bytor and the Snow dog on this one probably just as good as they could do back in 70's !
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#20]
ETH... and a few others. I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one for sure.

I have played guitar (and several other instruments) for over 20 years in various bands. I studied classical guitar under Christopher Parkening. I have played and recorded rock, jazz, classical and country music for most of that time (and even dabbled with some flamenco). And let me tell you that for rock bands, RUSH are one of the most talented group of musicians to take the stage. Neil is phenominal on the drums and a helluva lyric writer (and author too! reading his Ghost Rider book as I type this), Geddy is an awesome bass player and vocalist that at times is using nearly every appendage and his voice all at once, and Alex is a pretty decent rock guitarist.

In music, there is no such thing as THE BEST. Art doesn't work that way. But almost anyone with an ear for music can tell where much talent lies. Whether or not you like the music of Rush, they are VERY talented musicians and respected and admired by MANY musicians -- many of which you may listen to and respect. There is no three-peice rock band that makes a fuller sound than Rush does. And music is subjective, so you can argue about whether you like them or they are a "good" band in your opinion. But just trust me on this, any band that YOU think is a good band, when asked whether or not THEY think that Rush is a good (or great) band would mostly likely say "YES". A much higher percentage of Rush's fans are musicians themselves than most other Rock bands. You either seem to love them or hate them. But there's no denying the talent required to perform their music.

Edited to add:

YES!!! I bought Rush In Rio in both DVD and CD format the day it was released. Love it! Saw them on that tour in Denver and out of over 30 live acts that I've seen, that night was BY FAR the most magic. It is nice to be able to see the DVD and relive that night. Yeah, those crazy Brazilians are noisy in the mix, but I like it. It was neat to see 40,000 crazy fans (and 60,000 in Sao Paulo) at a Rush concert instead of waiting to see Brittney or Justin. Rush was here long before they came, and will probably be here long after they are gone. Rush is something like number two on the all-time rock band gold album charts behind The Stones. And yeah, it is because of them still being together after all these years just like with The Stones. Although with the whole Keith and "Sir Mick" deal, maybe Rush will pass them up...
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I fell in love with Rush music back in '75 or so and saw them many times when they played Chicago including seventh row center seats for one show in '80. I don't think I missed a show for five or six years before joining the Navy and moving to Japan.  

Three guys never made so much music - truely amazing artists and 2112 was used to damage much of my hearing. My tastes changed and their music did too and I came to like other progressive rock bands like Genesis and Yes but still enjoy a bit of Rush.

One thing that was really amazing is that the live shows were as tight as the studio recordings - these guys didn't do a whole lot of layering and studio enhancement. "The Professor" could play percussion like no other I have seen before or since.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't disagree that Rush is a talented band, and I do like them, but the original statement was that three of the members were the best ever.  In the forty years or so that rock bands have come and gone, there have been many "great musicians".  

Also... Like it or not, Rush Limbaugh is certainly outspoken.  Thanks to him, I believe we have more conservatives in office than we would otherwise.   Credit where credit is due!    
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I love Rush. Best description I have heard of them is "thinking man's music". One of my favorites is The Trees. For those who do not know, it's about the US and Canada, how the US is always in the limelight, and Canada always seems to be in our shadow.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunligh
And the oaks ignore their pleas

The trouble with the maples
(and they’re quite convinced they’re right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light
But the oaks can’t help their feelings
If they like the way they’re made
And they wonder why the maples
Can’t be happy in their shade?

There is trouble in the forest
And the creatures all have fled
As the maples scream `oppression!`
And the oaks, just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
’the oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light’
Now there’s no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet,
Axe,
And saw ...

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Jeez relax ,some of you guy's need to get a larger size tin foil hat your brains are getting squeezed to much !
Just having a little play because everytime someone does a RUSH thread the other Rush always gets brought up so just chill out !

Anyway for a band thats been around for darn near 30 years they can still play. The Geriatric Rolling Stones on the other hand sound like crap ....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top