Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2003 3:36:55 PM EDT
I was in Mickie D's today and saw a local cop who had a loaded belt, one item being a fixed blade sheath knife with about an 8 inch blade. Looked like a Cold Steel or SOG.

What would a cop need this for? It seems like a folder would get the job done if it was carried for utility reasons. I can't see this guy whipping it out for a knife fight. It did have some intimidation value, but not much. I have no problems with him carrying a fixed blade, just can't figure out why.

He also had flashlight, pistol (maybe Beretta but couldn't tell due to angle), pepper spray, and a spring-loaded baton.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Some agencies do not allow the carrying of back-up (secondary) firearms, but do allow the carrying of a knife.  If working under those specific restrictions, I would probably chose a fixed blade. There are some firearms training schools that teach handgun retention techniques that involve a blade.  Even Gunsite offers two knife courses.

My agency allows patrol cops to carry a folding knife. I carry a Spyderco Delica or Endura, depending on uniform of the day.  Only our mounted officers are allowed to carry a fixed blade sheath knife.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Benchmade AFO have thought of a CRKT bearclaw under the uniform shirt on the vest. Think it would work well if on my back in the guard and can not get to the backup gun.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
AFCK
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Rosewood inlay large Sebenza.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Curved serrated Smith and  Wesson, occasionally an old Buck locking folder.  I really can't see the need for a sheath knife,  I carry enough junk on the pistol belt already.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Benchmade AFO or AFCK, occasionaly a 3550.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
RJK: Boy that is a really expensive knife to be carrying around. But then in "world of compromise,.... so don't."
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would a cop need it???  Simple...survival.

I carry two handguns and two knives, one S&W SWAT folder on my pants pocket (weak side) and a S&W Boot knife on my weak side boot.  Also carry a .38 on strong side boot.

In a ground fighting situation where you are "holding on" to your suspect, you never know what boot or pocket you will physically be able to get to.  I figure if it becomes a deadly force issue involving weapon retention, my strong hand will secure my primary duty weapon while I attempt to gain access to one of the three "secondary" weapons on my person with my weak hand.

If all I can get to is a knife, I'll slice the SOB's throat, sink it into his thigh, ass, neck, anywhere I can...simplt to bring an end to aggression on the suspects part.  And you are right...you won't see a cop whip out a knife to fight with, only a fool brings a knife to a gun fight.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a Spyderco Wayne Goddard in my weak side pocked for last ditch type defense and weapon retention... That and more mundane utility work when I am not out JBTing ya know?!

I really think a sheath knife on a duty belt is a very poor Idea. If you are fighting someone on the ground or whatever you need to protect your sidearm at all costs. Having a cool Rambo knife dangling is plain dumb.

Just my opinion, not that I'm opinionated or anything.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Cold Steel Voyager
Spyderco Endura and Delica

For undercover work, a Spyderco Matriarch in a neck sheath.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Kershaw Blackout
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Warlord,

Yeah they're pricey but once you're bitten by the Sebenza bug, you don't want to carry anything else.  I've got four wood inlays, large and small rosewood, large and small curly maple.  I do carry a rosewood Mnandi when wearing a suit though.  The only time I don't carry a Sebby is when I'm fishing, then it's a Buck Mayo TNT.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#14]
A fixed-blade knife is perfect for a gun-grab scenario.  Never runs out of ammo, and if the bad guy grabs your holstered pistol he's definitely in knife range.  Also, if you're on the ground getting beaten to death and you can't get to your handgun because it's pinned underneath you, 5 inches of razor-sharp steel in the bad guy's gut will definitely make him think twice about what he's doing.  I don't advertise mine-I keep it concealed but easily accessible in an emergency.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#15]

According to our rules and regs.. Fixed blade knives are not allowed for uniform carry..

In uniform, I have a Strider SnG with tanto blade..

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, backup gun on vest (AMT .308), backup gun on boot (S&W Scadium .357) and knife on other boot.  I also have a pocket folder that goes everywhere with me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I heard that the number one use for a duty knife is cutting the seat belts of traffic collision victims.  Is that true?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I heard that the number one use for a duty knife is cutting the seat belts of traffic collision victims.  Is that true?
View Quote

I had to do that once... The car was burning so the lady had to be moved but she was DRT anyway.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:42:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Leatherman WAVE.  It's probably my most used piece of equipment!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:53:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Spyderco

One of our Sgt's carries 3 knives:
Too Cool.

Jay
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never cut a seatbelt, but have used it to cut a pair of pantyhose tied around a kid's throat, ropes, and flexicuffs.  That's mainly why I carry a curved serrated,  Plus the fact it's a wicked fighting blade.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#23]
S+W 911 knife.

Folding, serrated blade with a dull tip. Advertised as being very effective at cutting seat belts. The knife has a built in window punch.

I also carry "string" single use restraints, that could be easily, and safely removed by the knife.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:24:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Never cut a seatbelt, but have used it to cut a pair of pantyhose tied around a kid's throat, ropes, and flexicuffs.  That's mainly why I carry a curved serrated,  Plus the fact it's a wicked fighting blade.  
View Quote

One of the most frightening moments i've had was while following a rookie to the jail after we had to fight and hogtie this crazy assed MFer. The rookie calls me on talkaround and says, "I don't think this guy is breathing." I yell, "STOP THE CAR!" and run up to them. Sure enough the guy is in positional asphixia bigger than shit. I whip out the trusty Spyderco and cut my hobble off of him roll him over and give him a nice sternum rake. That kinda jumpstarted him and we ran code to the hospital. Closest I ever want to come to an in custody death...
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Unfair question!

I've found most of our LEO members are a notch above the average.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Unfair question!

I've found most of our LEO members are a notch above the average.

Tj
View Quote

Agreed. From what you guys are telling me you use fixed blades for, this guy was not using his properly. He had it behind his firearm on the right side. He would not be able to get to his knife if his pistol was pinned down. It was also out in plain sight. He could use it if his pistol was taken but that is the only benefit I could see of this guy having a fixed blade in the location he kept it. Thanks for all the input, those Benchmades are beauties.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Pair of Cold Steel SafeKeeper II's plus a Benchmade folder.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use mine as a pry bar more than anything else.

Scraping fraudulant registration stickers off license plates is another common LE knife use.

New guys use their knives to scoop small quantities of narcotics into NIK test kits for presumptive testing. Until they learn about cross contamination, and what cocaine and Meth will do to a good blade steel...(use the damn test strip that came with the NIK kit!!!)
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Benchmade/ Emerson CQC7 Auto clipped on my pocket and a CRKT KISS on my vest strap
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yep, backup gun on vest (AMT .308),

wow 308 for a backup gun thats alot of power!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why would a cop need it???  Simple...survival.

I carry two handguns and two knives, one S&W SWAT folder on my pants pocket (weak side) and a S&W Boot knife on my weak side boot.  Also carry a .38 on strong side boot.

In a ground fighting situation where you are "holding on" to your suspect, you never know what boot or pocket you will physically be able to get to.  I figure if it becomes a deadly force issue involving weapon retention, my strong hand will secure my primary duty weapon while I attempt to gain access to one of the three "secondary" weapons on my person with my weak hand.

If all I can get to is a knife, I'll slice the SOB's throat, sink it into his thigh, ass, neck, anywhere I can...simplt to bring an end to aggression on the suspects part.  And you are right...you won't see a cop whip out a knife to fight with, only a fool brings a knife to a gun fight.
View Quote

1) cutting seatbelts

2) while closed, the knife makes for a great window breaker. EI the old guy on the side of the highway that had a heart attck. doors locked, windows up. ya gotta be able to get to 'em.

...and cut the belt, no wasting time fumbling around with different items. very handy.

this is just a couple of examples though.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Spyderco Endura
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Large Cold Steel Voyager.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I use the Boker Magnum auto I got in a group buy from here last year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top