Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 12:55:08 PM EDT
LMAO check this out....

How we will break the culture of rule breaking and incivility on DU (Dec 11th 2003)
Most of the members of this message board have no difficulty treating other people with respect, and participating in a positive manner. For that, I am grateful. Unfortunately, there is a small minority of members who either cannot control themselves, or have chosen not to control themselves. These rude people make Democratic Underground unpleasant for the rest of us, and have shown little inclination to change their behavior, despite repeated pleas from the administrators, the moderators, and the members of this website.

We believe that Democratic Underground has enough rules, and we will not noticeably improve DU by creating more rules. Our problem is that we have a small minority of people who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions, because they have no real incentive to do so. There has been no accountability and there have been no consequences for disruption. Until today.

Today we are unveiling a new enforcement system, which will help encourage all of our members to be productive members of our community. We are confident that it will provide a real incentive for all of our members to learn and follow the rules. We call it the Moderator Messaging system.

Here’s the great thing: If you are part of the vast majority of members who follows the rules and treats other people with respect, you will rarely, if ever, have any problems with the system. In fact, you can probably stop reading this post right here. But if you are part of the small minority of people who repeatedly cause problems, your DU experience is going to change a little bit. Here’s how it works:

When a moderator deletes one of your posts, you are sent an automatic notification to let you know. (Note: you will not get notifications for harmless infractions like duplicate postings.) When you receive such a notification, you are temporarily unable to post. In order to continue posting, all you have to do is review the notification, acknowledge that you received it, and give us your word that you will follow the rules. If you do not wish to follow the rules, that is your choice, however, you will not regain your ability to post on the board.

The moderators can also send you messages using this system. When you receive such a message, you are unable to post until your review the message, acknowledge that you received it, and give us your word that you will follow the rules.

If you receive a notification in error, we have the ability to remove it from your record. Simply send an email to the administrators, with the text of the post, and we will review it. Please do not waste our time with rude messages, baseless accusations of moderator bias, or complaints about deleted posts that include obvious rule violations. If you do send us such message, we will add an additional warning to your record.

If you receive five notifications, you get an automatic 24-hour time-out, during which time you will be unable to post on the message board. You will also get automatic 24-hour time-outs at 10, 15, 20, and 25 notifications. When you get 30 notifications, you are automatically banned. If you have promised 30 times to follow the rules, but still continue break them, then we can reasonably conclude that you have no intention of keeping your word. You get a special tombstone to indicate that your account was shut off automatically because of your own behavior.

I fully expect to hear a great deal of complaining about this new system, which will try to paint me as unfair, biased, fascist, censorious, or Ashcroftian. These complaints will be loud and disruptive for a few days, but ultimately they are wrong. This system puts the power in your hands. If you are the type of person who tries to treat others with respect, and makes an effort to be civil, you will never have any serious problems with this system. Based on our analysis of deleted posts over the last six months, the vast majority of members would never even get one time-out. However, if you are the type of person who is intentionally rude, or if you scour the rules looking for loopholes which give you an excuse to be disruptive, then you put yourself at risk of being banned.

The power is in your hands. The only person responsible for your own behavior is you.

I look forward to participating on a more civil Democratic Underground.

Skinner
DU Admin

Important notice: We understand that this is a significant change for our members and for the moderators, and we realize that many of you will need some time to adjust. Because of this, we are starting off with a “learning period” that lasts until January 1, 2004. On that day, we will wipe everyone’s slate clean so you can start from zero again. However, please be aware that if you get a time-out during this learning period, you are stuck with it, and if you get automatically banned during this learning period, you will stay banned.

Also, there will likely be a number of technical glitches and bugs over the next couple days as we implement this system. Please be patient.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Of the many I could choose from, one word: gay.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll go you one better:

Nicknames for Democratic candidates, supporters, and opponents are not permitted. (Dec 20th 2003)
Nicknames for Democratic candiates, their supporters, or their opponents are no longer permitted anywhere on Democratic Underground.

If you wish to discuss any Democratic candidate, you are required to use that person's real name. You cannot use a nickname or a different name or add asterisks or anything else.

If you make a comment about any candidate's supporters, you are required to refer to them simply as "(Candidate Name) supporters" -- "Clark supporters," "Dean supporters," "Kerry supporters," "Kucinich supporters," etc.

If you make a comment about any candidate's opponents, you are requied to refer to them simply as "(Candidate Name) opponents" -- "Clark opponents," "Dean opponents," "Kerry opponents," "Kucinich opponents," etc.

Any messages posted after 10:00AM Saturday which violate this rule will be deleted and a warning will be added to your record.

Skinner
DU Admin
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
just like democrats you break the law 30 times and they let you go.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I love this stuff!

This "skinner" guy has to be just like that hippie peacenik teacher on Beavis and Butthead.

"If you break the rules more than 30 times, we will have to conclude that you have no intention of keeping your word..."

What the @#$%? Yup... must be these types who run the criminal justice system. Only 6 more chances now and then we're going to punish you (but not too harshly)...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[b]Our problem is that we have a small minority of people who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions[/b], because they have no real incentive to do so. There has been no accountability and there have been no consequences for disruption. Until today.

View Quote

I simply cannot think of a more accurate, succint description of the Democratic Party - a small minority of people who refuse to take responsibility for their actions, as they have no incentive to do so.

Out of the mouthes of babies....

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, if this were DU, McUzi would still be on warning 27 or so  [:D]

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
OH MY IS THAT TUFF!!!
30 STRIKES AND YOUR OUT!!!
LMAO!!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Careful or you will appear "Ashcroftian."

What a bunch of fucking idiots. Can they call Republican candidates by nicknames?

Lord help us.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I got banned for saying, ok -- you want to make fun of Mr. Bush , go ahead, but leave his family out of it.

Their reply was , I am not a true Democrat.

F***em. They are just a bunch of tards. I am to lazy to get a new user name.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#10]
DU = AWOB
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#11]
24 hour timeout???[LOL]

30 warnings??? [ROFL2]

They are too funny. I think I'll join to stir up some trouble. After all I get 30 lives. Damn, that's better than a cat. [ROFL]

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have promised 30 times to follow the rules, but still continue break them, then we can reasonably conclude that you have no intention of keeping your word. You get a special tombstone to indicate that your account was shut off automatically because of your own behavior.
View Quote

My favorite part is that you get a "special" tombstone, not a regular one. How sweet of them!!!!

[rofl2]  [rofl2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#13]
The thought that came first to my mind was “anal retentive”

We must regulate, control and “moderate” our dissent.  Oh, and we also keep detailed records on every “infraction”.

God, what a bunch of control freaks!

I knew they were massively full of shit when they started locking threads for EXCESSIVE CAPITALIZATION.

Lunatics and morons all of them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm.

I think this makes me want to go over there and help out testing their new system
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I smell an opportunity here. How about a contest to see which DU [s]instigator[/s] arfcommer gets to 3o first..[}:D]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#17]
[goosestep]Today ve are unveiling a new enforzement system, vich vill help encourage all ov our memberss to be productive memberss ov ze community. Ve are confident that it vill profide a real inzentive for all ov our memberss to learn and follow zee rules.[/goosestep]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#18]
24 hour timeout??

Sounds like a daycare center. [LOL]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't they (or didn't they) have a rule somewhere about not criticizing democratic candidates or the party? Maybe it was a rule against upsetting other readers. I looked but couldn;t find it again. It was hysterical. Anybody remember what/where it is?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#20]
DESIST! Or I shall admonish you again!

And again And again And again And again And again And again.............................
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Those dirty birds over there won't even let me register with a public e-mail address, ie @yahoo.com, @excite.com etc. You need a real email address something like a @aol.com
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Those dirty birds over there won't even let me register with a public e-mail address, ...
View Quote

Actually, I thought that was also true here.

Are you calling Goatboy a dirty bird??  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Those dirty birds over there won't even let me register with a public e-mail address, ie @yahoo.com, @excite.com etc. You need a real email address something like a @aol.com
View Quote

[rofl]AOL is a *real* address?  Since when?[rofl]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
[b]Our problem is that we have a small minority of people who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions[/b],
View Quote

Damn ARFCOM guys!  Acting like liberals! [:P]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#25]
If you receive five notifications, you get an automatic 24-hour time-out,
View Quote

That is the problem with the tree hugging liberals.  They don't know how to tag someones' ass.

If you receive five notifications, you get an automatic 24-hour time-out,[/qoute]

After which we will have to hire a republican moderator to tell the UN/DU dipshits to go to hell and kick some ass.....
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Keep in mind that the "30 warnings" does NOT apply to people who DISAGREE with them, or they have just decided they do not like.

I got banned outright over there for no infractions at all - I assume it was because I posted under the same handle I use here, and some little DUer glefully discovered that and eagely ran to the moderators inform on me in exchange for a gold star or something [rolleyes].  No warnings or explanations for me (even though I politely sent them several emails asking for clarification).

Morons.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#27]
This guy Skinner, isn't he Editor in Chief of "Necrophiliac Monthly" magazine? [:P]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I told you Johnny for the 30th time don't do that you're really going to get a time out and you apparently don't listen...

huh?

[rofl2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
[DU]If somebody makes me cry, can't I sue them or something?[/DU]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok kids dumocrates are bad........you dont make fun of dumocrates cause that would be bad. MMMMMMMMMMKAY.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Geez...you listen to this latest bunch of tripe from the DU'ers and then you go there and read some of the inflammatory shit they trowel out about people they don't like...or with whom they happen to have a political disagreement...and lo and behold...a dichotomy!  Don't flame your "Fellow Traveler" but knife that fucking "Repuke" in the back!

Amazing.  They are SO like the communists of old.  They actually ban free speech.  They control the media and permit no dissent.  They talk to each other...but cocoon themselves to prevent any outside influence.  They exile counter-revolutionaries.  They are paranoid of alternative thought and speech.  Finally...like the old Soviet revolutionaries, they have differing levels of purity...and that leads to bloody purges.  They fight among themselves...and sacrifice their own, in the name of the Party and the dogma.

They really are a bunch of sick fucks...loonier and loonier with each passing day.  I can't wait until election night.  I'll bet their shrinks are all going to be damn busy that night...as will the bongs and their corner liquor stores.  I remember the weeping, hair pulling and threats to end it all...or flee this ratty country for Australia...Britain or France after the last two elections.  I was having a ball reading their posts as the night went on.  Too bad so many stayed here...but on the other hand, by staying, we have some morons to laugh at!  [;D]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn and people bitch here like you just emptied their bank account on crack when a moderator IM's them to tone down their name calling and personal attacks.

30 warnings [lol]

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah remember no "baseless" accusations of moderator bias.  So if they are really biased that's OK?  of just OK to send a nastygram about?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I have several of McUzi's rants saved to notepad. I think I will post one at DU with some editing and at the bottom add,

29 to go.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

....I can't wait until election night....

View Quote

All your Senate are belong to us!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

....I can't wait until election night....

View Quote

All your Senate are belong to us!
View Quote

Hmmmmm...now you wouldn't know anything about that vile incident that happened over there at DUh on election night...would you JR?  [;D]
Damn...that WAS funny!  I really wonder if some of them will end up in treatment?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top