Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 8:17:51 AM EDT
I was reading the other post and some posters were saying that ranger training is advanced infantry training.  So what exactly goes on?
How long is the training? It must be really intense?

any comments?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a book called "band of brothers" (good TV series too) And in it they talked about the training that they gave the 101 airborne. Might want to read it good book as I remember.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have three friends that have qualified as Rangers.  According to them, you better like running.  If your PT is not up to speed you are gone, if you cannot make good decisions on little sleep and under stress you go home as well and you better like the outdoors,cause you living outdoors.

One of the guys started out in the Air Force then joined the Army guard and got qualified thru them.  It was not lost on a single instructor that he was ex-Air Force, he got tested every step of the way.  He did Desert Storm I and then two more years active in a Ranger unit before returning to the guard.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know. But if it were a picnic everybody would go.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Ranger training is a hell of a lot more intense than simply being "advanced infantry" training. You gotta want that ranger tab some kinda bad to even think about applying for the school. Pretty much, if you are assigned to a Ranger BN, sooner or later you WILL enter into potential combat and chances are, you'll be out-numbered, and the first to make heavy contact. For this reason the instructors will pull NO punches to weed out those who aren't good enough.

A friend of mine who is a section chief in the 1-41 FA told me that his battery watched a Ranger company do a live-fire night excercise at a MOUT complex. His comment:

"Oh my GOD, Doug....you shoulda seen it; they go in so fast and so hard, anybody against 'em ain't got a f*cking prayer. If they (the Rangers) come after your ass, I don't give a f*ck what you got; you're a dead MFer."
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#5]
You get hungry, you get cold, you get tired, you walk around with rucks a lot, you get pissed off, you get smoked, you put up with more stupid BS than most people could handle and you learn a little field craft (florida) and mountaineering (mountains).  Most importantly, you learn to lead under stress and you learn a lot about yourself.  

You can fill a whole book with specifics about ranger school.  In fact... [url=http://www.rangerschool.com/]click here[/url]

Did I mention you get hungry?

edited for schpellin'
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#6]

The hardest part is where you have to keep Yogi and BooBoo away from the picnic basket.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The hardest part is where you have to keep Yogi and BooBoo away from the picnic basket.
View Quote

I LIKE PICNICS!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Or you could just join the Marines.

Small force with devastating firepower and the psychological toughness to destroy everything that stands in the way of achieving the mission.

Or you could join the Army...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top