Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2003 7:52:32 AM EDT
A guy was telling me there are Rangers that are in ranger units but there are also soldiers in different MOS's that are qualified as rangers but aren't in ranger units. I was wondering if you could do the ranger training while in the Guard?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll up the question by one: Can you qualify as a Green Beret while in the reserves, while never having gone on active duty?

God, I hope the answer is "yes". I have a strong friendship on the line here....
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#2]
The answer is YES!  There are a couple of Special Forces groups in the National Guard, I know there's one here in Virginia, and another in West Virginia. They deployed to Afghanistan after 9/11.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes and yes.  You can get into a NG SFG that will send you through SFAS and the Q.  As for ranger training, Any MOS can go to school while assigned to the 75th.  These non-combat MOS guys can PCS to different units, thus becoming a ranger in a unit where one with his MOS would not be able to go to ranger school.  As far as I now you can go to school from the guard, but only if your unit gets the slots like one of the aforementioned NG SF Groups (as a non-combat MOS... not even sure if they still do that) or you are a combat arms MOS in a combat arms unit.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#5]

If you are one of these MOS then you can attend:
11B/C/Z
12B
13F
14S,
18B/C/D/F
19D

You can come from these MOSs and attend Ranger ONLY if your next unit assignment is the 75th Ranger Rgt.:
31C/U
35E
54B
63B
71D/L/M
73D
74C
75B/H
88N
91B
92A/G/Y
96B/D
97B

if you are not you are SOL:

There are Rangers and Ranger scool graduates. DO NOT GET THESE CONFUSED!

Dont know about SF, I think your state must have a NG SF unit like the 19th out of WV and RI.

I'm active so I dont know much about the AR/NR side.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes and yes.  You can get into a NG SFG that will send you through SFAS and the Q.  As for ranger training, Any MOS can go to school while assigned to the 75th.  These non-combat MOS guys can PCS to different units, thus becoming a ranger in a unit where one with his MOS would not be able to go to ranger school.  As far as I now you can go to school from the guard, but only if your unit gets the slots like one of the aforementioned NG SF Groups (as a non-combat MOS... not even sure if they still do that) or you are a combat arms MOS in a combat arms unit.
View Quote

Heres why I ask I am going to be at Ft. Benning for a few months doing my infantry AIT. A guy who was a ranger told me if I am in good shape after AIT I should try to go through the ranger training while I am at Benning?

anyway this would be possible?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Ranger School has long been an advanced infantry course made available pretty much to any amle NCO or Officer who can qualify with preference going to combat arms MOS's. There are a lot of tabbed rangers out there who have never served in the 75th and never will. NG soldiers can get Ranger school slots if their unit needs that level of training and expertise, but I wouldn't expect a sservice support BN to get many if any Ranger School slots.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I'm pretty sure it's possible.

They also have a National Guard Special Forces Unit at Camp Williams, Utah. Saw them with my very own eyes. Had a kid in my BNOC class that was trying to get into the unit.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#9]
You will be approached by a few "Ranger recruiters" they will ask you if you you are interested. You will get asked at your last week at Jump. If your not going to jump than while at basic, tel your Drill Sgt to pt you in contact with the Ranger liasion.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

11B/C/Z
12B
13F
14S,
18B/C/D/F
19D

There are Rangers and Ranger school graduates. DO NOT GET THESE CONFUSED!
View Quote

so rangers are with a ranger infantry unit and they wear the ranger scroll?  whereas the ranger school grads wear the ranger tab?

and of the above MOS are those the ones who can attend while being in the reserves?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

so rangers are with a ranger infantry unit and they wear the ranger scroll?  whereas the ranger school grads wear the ranger tab?

View Quote

I think the rangers with scrolls are like the 1st, 3rd and such. And the guys with the tab can be in other units.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

11B/C/Z
12B
13F
14S,
18B/C/D/F
19D

There are Rangers and Ranger school graduates. DO NOT GET THESE CONFUSED!
View Quote

and of the above MOS are those the ones who can attend while being in the reserves?
View Quote

look at it this way.  The scroll is the Ranger unit patch.  The tab goes to a graduate of Ranger School.  Rangers wear both patch and scroll after graduating Ranger school and just the Scroll if they havent gone to Ranger yet.  All others who just go to Ranger School wear the Tab on their left shoulder above their unit patch and any tabs associated with the unit (Airborne, Mountain, Honor Guard)
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You will be approached by a few "Ranger recruiters" they will ask you if you you are interested. You will get asked at your last week at Jump. If your not going to jump than while at basic, tel your Drill Sgt to pt you in contact with the Ranger liasion.
View Quote

I think that in the guard, it's up to your unit to send you and pay for it.  IIRC the 75th recruting only applies to active duty.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I have seen a couple people in the guard who wear the ranger tab, next time I will ask. But then again alot of guardsmen were active.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#15]
somebody more knowledgable than me..might even be able to take this further, but..

years ago..while i college i roomed with a couple of ROTC rangers.

i think..( i know if dangerous) that 2-3 universities in Ok..as well as other states are ranger units..

there are several SF/ranger units in state NG and USAR units..as well as ROTC units.

comments from the gallery..

BTW..

my Alma Mater is East Central University in Ada OK

go..tigerssssssssssssss
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#16]
YES!

(well, at least for the NG you can)

THere are several Companies of the 5/19th SFG(A) here in Colorado.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
couple of ROTC rangers.

View Quote

ROTC RANGERS?   Hmm that sounds like something enlisted guys would call the college boys.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The answer is YES!  There are a couple of Special Forces groups in the National Guard, I know there's one here in Virginia, and another in West Virginia. They deployed to Afghanistan after 9/11.
View Quote

I know of a guard Special Forces unit in Morgantown West Virginia that had one of the first KIA's in Afghanistan.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Ohio NG has an SF unit as well.
Bravo 2/19th SFG in Columbus
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top