Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/23/2003 1:42:11 AM EDT

So I wake up hearing someone pounding on the door and ringing the doorbell at quarter till five this morning.  I put on a pair of jeans, slip my Glock 29 off of the nightstand and into my back pocket, and look out the bedroom window.

I can see a white car with headlights on in the driveway.  The view is partially blocked but it looks like a Crown Vic to me, so I figure its a five-oh at the door.

I answer the front door, sure enough there is a deputy standing there.  He is holding a small cardboard box in his hands, and asks me if I recently ordered some gun parts or anything.  As a matter of fact I had.  I did a trade deal on FloridaShootersNetwork.com for a bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle, and USGI mag.

I answer in the affirmative, and he tells me that the package was mistakenly delivered to the wrong address, and the neighbors 'freaked out' (his words) when they saw what was inside, and called the S.O.

I showed him my ID and accepted the package, checked the contents, and bid him good day.  He showed up so early because he was just getting off of shift.  Didn't bother me too much because I was planning on getting up pretty early anyway.

So, the lesson here is, when TSHTF, don't anybody come to my house, as the local LE has me flagged as a potential troublemaker with scary guns, and it will probably be a trap.

I wish I had thought to ask which neighbor recieved the package, other than that, the deputy was polite and professional.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:58:54 AM EDT
[#1]
so why did the neighbors open a package that wasn't addressed to them? i get mail/packages for other people all the time delivered to my place. i've never even thought about opening it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So, the lesson here is, when TSHTF, don't anybody come to my house, as the local LE has me flagged as a potential troublemaker with scary guns, and it will probably be a trap.

View Quote

[blue][/b]par·a·noi·a [ pèrrə nóy ə ] [/blue][/b]

noun  

1. distrust: extreme and unreasonable suspicion of other people and their motives [;)]

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:01:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Decaf
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:28:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Dickheads shouldn't have opened it.  But then those type of people are the same that would freak out over a bolt and a magazine.  Although they would probably call it a clip.  Losers.
If I had taken that call I would have lectured them on opening a package not addressed to them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I can only assume it had to have been some prior-service guy.  Who else would recognize that stuff as being gun parts - and then be freaked out?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Waco part II [(:)] [peep]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:44:40 AM EDT
[#7]
They shouldn't have opened it, that's BS!

I had 300 Rounds of linked .50 Cal ammo dropped at my neighbors down the hill one time. After several calls to UPS I found it on their porch. They weren't home at the time.
I thought with this ignorant culture we have they would have freaked to see all of that machine gun ammo. [:D] (IF they had opened it)

COZ

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:48:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, it's screwed up that the neighbors opened the package and all, but I would have been pretty pissed that he showed up that early. Plus, it's not his responsibility to deliver the package - it should have been returned to the carrier and they should have delivered it.

However, in very rural areas like where I live I can see how the LEO might do the delivery. But at 4:45AM?? Could he have been on a fishing expedition?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:58:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I would have delieved it.  I'm that public service kind of guy.  I probably would have done it during the day in plainclothes though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:01:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Because the UPS, FEDX, and the POSTAL CARRIERS in my area are careless and stupid, I have all my ammo and firearms parts shipped to my job.Our warehouse receiver, all the carrier's drivers and I are on friendly terms.They are informed on what I am expecting to arrive and on what day less details of contents.Never a problem in 2 years.[8D]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:16:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
so why did the neighbors open a package that wasn't addressed to them? i get mail/packages for other people all the time delivered to my place. i've never even thought about opening it.
View Quote

No kidding.  That's illegal.  There was a cop right there, you should have pressed charges against the shitbirds who opened your mail.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:25:39 AM EDT
[#12]
My vote is for fishing expedition.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Call the postmaster general, of whatever they are called now and file a criminal complaint.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:41:57 AM EDT
[#14]
So why is the Deputy the bad guy here?  He could've easily confiscated it or returned it to the postal carrier that delivered it.  Instead he went out of his way to make sure the rightful owner got his package, although at O' dark 30 in the morning.

If he "flagged" you as a potential troublemaker do you really think he would've delivered the parts to you?

I think he was just being a nice guy.

You have some retarded neighbors BTW.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:51:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Thats bullsh!t opening your mail. I would let them know too! Did the package have your name on it? If so Id go to them and ask them if they can f*cking read English.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:56:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My vote is for fishing expedition.
View Quote

Yep....I agree.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:08:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Very cool of the deputy to bring it by, in my book.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:15:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok, let me clarify.  It was cool of him to bring it by, and your neighbors are assclowns.

4:45am?  Why didn't he just leave it?  
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:17:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a complete AK-47 kit minus receiver delivered to my neighbor by accident.  Luckily they did not open it and their 12yr old son dropped it off at my house after reading the address label correctly.  UPS however, had difficulty reading it. :P.  If the boy had opened it and the police were called you could just see the headlines, as I live in IL....
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:33:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Some of you guys are frigging unbelieveable.  Here is a deputy, who,  upon answering a call, calmed a bunch of idiots,  took personal control of the package,  (Probably violating policy in the process) and went out of his way on his own time just to make sure you got your gun parts.  More than likely a fellow shooter himself.

It's not a "fishing expedition"
It's not any sort of  screwball tinfoil scenario, it's just doing a stranger a favor.  

The only place it could have gone otherwise was the found property room. He cannot return it to the carrier. It's the middle of the night, and if he leaves it with the neighbor it's only going in the trash.  With good luck  some clerk would call you in 3 months to come and pick up your now rusty gun parts.

You owe that man big time, and you have thieves living around you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#21]
The Deputy did a nice thing. The only fault I would give him is the hour.

As for the neigbor, it's Christmas Season. I don't know about you guys but I've been getting a bunch of packages delivered here for gifts that I ordered via the Net. I don't always read the address label I usually just rip it open. don't label your neighbors theives just because they opened a package that was delivered to them. Lable them idiots for calling the Sheriff's office and freaking out.

Shorty
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#22]
UPS dropped off my AR upper to the wrong house after having a brake installed. I could only imagine what would have happened if the wrong type or person would have opened that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:52:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Henryyyyyyyyyyy. What's in the package?

Looks like gun parts Martha. Probably machinegun from the looks of that magazine.

OMG Henryyyyyyyyyyy! Call the police!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:54:35 AM EDT
[#24]
That's pretty messed up your neighbors opened your package.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#25]
The deputy could have taken the box back to the office and turned it over to some office worker who would have concluded that he was looking at illegal machine gun parts and called the BATF.

You have some shitbird neighbors. They are probably congratulating themselves on uncovering an illegal gun manufacturer right there in their own neighborhood.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:11:13 AM EDT
[#26]
If the deputy had just left the neighbors and went to your house he was being polite and professional and probaly saved both you and him unnecessary paperwork and potential hassels for you getting your package back if he had taken it back to the sheriff's office and logged it in.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:28:20 AM EDT
[#27]
[b][size=4][blue]+1 for the cop!

Good job for not getting nutty[/b][/size=4][/blue]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#28]
That's a good deputy!   I wish we had some of his kind around here!

If your neighbor opened the package after having noticed that it wasn't addressed to him, he committed a FELONY.   By rights he should be spening a few nights in the crossbar hotel.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Maybe it's just me, but I believe that every gun owner has the duty to educate, or at least attempt to educate, the ignorant public.  As such, you should go talk to your neighbor about this matter, rather then letting a bunch of tin foilers convince you that your neighbors, and the LEO, were intentionally trying to invade your personal life.

To be honest, I have accidentally opened packages, letters, etc. that were misdelivered to my house.  Shit happens. You walk into the house father working 10+ hours, the phones ringing, dogs yapping and a stack of mail waits you.  So what do you do?  Because many of us assume (incorrectly) that all postal employees have at least a 5th grade education we rip into the stack without first checking the address.  As a result, I have accidentally opened documents belonging to my neighbors that I would consider confidential, which I then return to them ASAP.

However, your neighbor chose to act in a different manner.  Why? Either you have not formed a relationship with that person, or they are a total freak.  I am going to go out on a limb in this situation and guess the former.  If that is the case, use this as an opportunity to go and introduce yourself, so that these people get to know you.

One of the reasons that we as gun owners are facing such a difficult social situation is because many of us have begun to hide our ownership.  Mainstream society is beginning to forget that the vast majority of gun owners are not only decent people, but upstanding civic leaders, philanthropists and civil servants within their community.  We all need to do our best to demonstrate to the masses that 99.9% of all gun owners are ordinary people.

If you do not already know your neighbors go introduce yourself.  Explain the situation, acknowledge that you were purchasing gun parts and that you are a collector; and then ask them if they would like to join you at your range sometime.  Maybe we get a convert, or maybe we soften an anti-gunner.  Remember most anti-gun sentiment in this county is created by the public’s ignorance, which thereby creates fear.  Destroy the ignorance, destroy the fear.

SBG

Edited for spelling and grammar.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:44:24 AM EDT
[#30]
(SGB- [b]Here[/b] is the tinfoil/paranoid version of it!)

I cant believe the night shift didnt come up with this....

Your 'neighbor' didnt call the cops. your delivery man/company did. Your local LEO was tasked to 'deliver' the package [i]after[/i] the alphabet boys cleared it as 'legal'.  

(Oslow, you almost got 'it')

[;)]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I can get my tin-foil hat on pretty tight, and I am going with the vote for the cop did you a favor, not a fishing expedition. Was he expecting to smell the fumes from that batch of meth being cooked up at 5:45 a.m.?

SBG, you have a good point and well said. I have converted one or two of my friends by taking them to the range and letting them shoot. But these were people close to me who I have gotten to know well. I personally have a problem with getting involved in campaigning for guns with total strangers.
The first problem involves the fact that I do not want to be robbed. Showing off all your cool toys can make your home a target. Paranoid, probably, but I don't believe in too much caution. I am currently not in a situation (due to location) to own a gun safe and can't wait to buy one.
The other reason why I don't campaign firearms to total strangers is because I do not like the Mormons knocking on my door trying to convert me and I feel the same way about dong that to someone else. I will do it in a heartbeat to friends, just draw the line with strangers.

-Juice Out
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

SBG, you have a good point and well said. I have converted one or two of my friends by taking them to the range and letting them shoot. But these were people close to me who I have gotten to know well. [red]I personally have a problem with getting involved in campaigning for guns with total strangers.[/red]

-Juice Out
View Quote

The fact that we live in a day where we can honestly consider our neighbor to be a total stranger is a sad commentary on the state of our society.  And perhaps, was more of the point to my previous message.  We live in a time where we know so little about our neighbors, and in turn allow them to know so little about us that calling the cops to pick up a misdelivered package seems like a better idea than delivering it ourselves.

I am not reccommending that you take you neighbor out who drives 90mph up and down the street at 3:00a.m. in his 1982 Cadillac.  You know the one painted purple with a picture of Tupac on it.  But if you take the time to get to know your neighbor there is a 80% chance that he or she is a decent person that you could trust at a range with a little training.

SBG
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#33]

The package was delivered via Airborne Express.  I didn't think to ask which neighbor recieved it, because I was still very groggy.  In fact, I didn't even catch the deputy's name, although he was wearing a nameplate on his uniform.

I was so tired and disconnected that when he asked to see my ID, I pulled out my wallet and started counting out bills.  Why, I don't know, until he told me I didn't have to pay him.  Just that early, I guess.

I am considering calling the SO to ask which neighbor called in the 'complaint', but I will feel like an idiot asking about "you know, that white deputy that works the night shift".

I don't have any beef at all with the deputy or the SO, but I will definitely talk to the neighbor if I find out who it is.  We have a good relationship with the next door neighbor, who is ex-Navy and knows I just left the military.  However, the neighbor across the street lets his unleashed dog run through my yard and terrorize my dog, and we have had a 'discussion' about this before, so it could be him. Or someone completely different, of course.

I will update if I do get the opportunity to talk to whoever recieved the package.  By the way, it was correctly labeled and addressed, so I will probably call AirEx as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:09:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Cop = good

Delivery company = IQ that of a small soapdish

Neighbor = f-ed up assclown that need the living sh!t beat out of him/her![kill]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ok, let me clarify.  It was cool of him to bring it by, and your neighbors are assclowns.

4:45am?  Why didn't he just leave it?  
View Quote

Generally when Johnny Law gets ahold of other people's property, they'll only release it to a person they ID, or ID and get to sign for the property.

LEA's ain't insured for missing delivieries.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#36]
[;)][/quote]

CavVet,

I think you almost have it right but let me enlighten you.

The NSA originally detected AvengeR15's order for possible machinegun parts using the latest modified version of Echelon, known in the inner circles of the Magi as the Vulcan Mind Meld.  Using this information, the NSA requested that the plane carrying the parts be intercepted by a friendly UFO for inspection.  The plane was intercepted at roughly 11:45 p.m., the crew incapacitated while the aliens rummaged through the cargo hold looking for the mysterious parts.  After locating the box, the crew was revived and sent on their way at 11:34 p.m. arriving at their destination airport 11 minutes early.

Meanwhile, the aliens abducted a cow from a local ranch assembled the parts into a completed firearm and proceeded to mutilate the cow with a series of precision 5.56mm shots.  After they were convinced that parts were not for an illegal machinegun or assault weapon, they cored our the rectum of the cow, placed the box inside and dropped the cow off down the block from AvengeR15's house.  Thereafter, the BATF were notified that AvengeR15 should be placed on the "watch" list.  They have already contracted with the aliens for the implant.

At 4:15 a.m. the local sheriff's dept. gets a phone call about a mutilated cow in a local pasture.  The poor deputy examines the horribly abuse cow and finds a package of gun parts belonging to AvengeR15, who happens to live down the street.  

Believing that this man is one sick bastard the deputy commences a fishing expedition by delivering the package in an attempt to secure permission to search the house without a warrant.  However, his attempts are blocked by the suspect.  Before returning to the station the deputy calls for 24 hour surveillance of the suspect’s property.  

[b]THEY ARE COMING FOR YOU SOON[/b]

SBG...or am I?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

...the deputy was polite and professional.
View Quote

So actually there is another lesson there, eh?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Good cop

Bad Airborne driver

Shithead neighbor
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#39]
OK, for the record, I think it was pretty cool of the LEO to bring it by. My only question is the hour. Did the neighbor call the cops at 4:00AM? If so, then I can understand the hour. Otherwise, it would be kinda unusual in my book for ANYONE to show up at my door at that time of day. You would think the cop would realize this.

I don't even own a tin foil hat! Mine's aluminum foil!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
He showed up so early because he was just getting off of shift.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#41]
[i]originally posted by moneyshot[/i]

[i]Thats bullsh!t opening your mail. I would let them know too! Did the package have your name on it? If so Id go to them and ask them if they can f*cking read English.[/i]
-----------------------------------------------

Well, Avenge does live in Florida. So chances are his neighbors don't speak english.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:05:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Next time you get a package meant for your neighbors, just stop and think to yourself,
"Who in my neighborhood might get sent a package from a Uni-bomber?"
Never open other peoples mail.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#43]
He not only showed up so early because he was getting off shift...at Christmas, when he just may have wrangled a day or two off...but also because he:

a) did not need the additional paperwork and BS side trip to the evidence locker

b) did not want to hold YOUR property overnight, or whatever, himself...which is against regs anyway

c) probably figured he would save you the hassle of explaining just why you needed those evil assault rifle parts to office personnel who, with little else to do in the way of actual work, may or may not really have  gone "fishing" on you. And...

d) he was tired of dealing with your idiotic dipshit neighbors and wanted some sleep before his second job or detail

The LEO done good! This is what Community Oriented Policing is supposed to be about. Buy him a cup of coffee the next time you see him, and/or write him an "attaboy" letter for his file...carefully leaving out exactly what type of property it was he returned, of course!

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#44]
4:45 AM??? WTF?? That's a good way to scare the life out of the occupants of a dwelling. And if the cops already know you're armed, wouldn't it have been wiser for them to come by with some advance warning, just for their own safety? Sheesh- cops seem so paranoid about citizens having guns in general- with that in mind, wouldn't it have been a better idea if he'd given AvengeR15 a little "heads up", so they won't get mistaken for home invaders?

Unless the cops wanted to see what sort of reaction they might get with a pre-dawn, unexpected visit? If so, why?

This is crazy. Nobody beats on my door before dawn and expects me to answer the door. I would have called the cops on whoever was at the door...

Edited to add: here in MA, sunrise was at 7:13 AM today.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#45]
The last UPS delivery I got was made in a Ryder truck by a temp delivery man.  Thank God he found the right house!

In it was a 50AE upper, a bunch of mags, and ammo(bought off the EE).  If he had delivered it to my LEO neighbor, he would have come over immediately, kicked in the door, made me open a safe, and stuck me in his pov.  He would have driven me straight to the popo range and made me load up all the ammo.  He would then hope that I was good enough to let him pop some off.  He would have done all this without opening the package because "he knew I had it coming".

I would have been tired at work that night, and would be cussing because the 50AE dies weren't delivered yet.
Those LEO's can be real asses, sometimes...[peep]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#46]
How much do you want to bet if the package contained DVD's or something like that you never would have seen that package?

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#47]
All of this is making my"Anti-radiation"helmet tight and un-comfortable to wear.It is of course out of the question to take the "thought blocking,cranial device"unit of issue 1 each,off to scratch and wonder WTF?Paranoia the distroyaa......they.....are every where.See them sitting on porches across America...SEE them make gun deals with people THEY-DON"T-EVEN-KNOW......they...might even live NEXT DOOR to YOU!SO.....tighten your chinstrap..put on your goggles....And remember!The enemy is anyone who is NOT YOUR FRIEND!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:44:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
4:45 AM??? WTF?? That's a good way to scare the life out of the occupants of a dwelling. And if the cops already know you're armed, wouldn't it have been wiser for them to come by with some advance warning, just for their own safety? Sheesh- cops seem so paranoid about citizens having guns in general- with that in mind, wouldn't it have been a better idea if he'd given AvengeR15 a little "heads up", so they won't get mistaken for home invaders?

Unless the cops wanted to see what sort of reaction they might get with a pre-dawn, unexpected visit? If so, why?

This is crazy. Nobody beats on my door before dawn and expects me to answer the door. I would have called the cops on whoever was at the door...

Edited to add: here in MA, sunrise was at 7:13 AM today.
View Quote

Get a job, ya' hippy.

So what time do you suggest they come over?

9am, 10am, 11am, 12noon, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm?

Oh yeah most people would be at work at those times.

Then again it's not like the police have stuff to do at morning rush hour, except maybe the daily crashes, and responding to the crimes that happened overnight and were discovered in the morning.

You are right, it would have been much easier for the officer to take the package. Secure it as evidence. Perhaps leave a card, message on the answering machine, or send a letter, saying the SO has a package that supposedly belongs to you. You can call the SO's automated phone network, if you can figure out how to get to the evidence section voice mail, leave a message saying you want your property back, who you are and a 24hr contact number. In 3-5 days we may recontact you by phone, to set up an appointment for you to pick up your package. Sometime on Tuesday or Thursday, 9a-10:30a or 1p-2:30p. Bring a complete list of what you think is in the package, along with any receipts, and shipping invoices. Also bring 2 forms of official ID. If the package contains sensitive materials bring a container which can be used to safely and legally tranport those items.

Or you can answer your door at 4:45am once in your life.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Sounds to me like the cop assisted you, but you should definately follow up on charges of opening the package, since it was clearly not their mail.  Being so early in the morning, it was possible the cop was testing you out at a vulnerable time, JUST IN CASE, so I wouldn't read into it too much.  

Another question I have is, did the deputy get called because of an unopened package, which indicated gun parts and he opened it himself?  Was he looking for the bust of the century or something?  Atleast it all worked out, but I'd go after this shitfucking fuckturd neighbors that opened it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Get your C&R and have some REAL fun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top