Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 3:56:43 PM EDT
I just switched today to mozilla
How do I create a desktop short cut ??
I have read the help, and either I missed it or it is not there ??
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't use it; but any application should let you create a shortcut by...

1. Finding the application file in your program files folder in specific application's folder.

2. right clicking on the application's icon.

3. select create shortcut.

4. drag the shortcut to your desktop.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, but it does not do that.
Mozilla 1.5 is what I am trying out , it is nice, it is just having used IE for many years it is a little different.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, just go to the MozillaFireird folder on your hard drive, open it, right click on the mozillafirebird.exe file and select SEND TO, and then select DESKTOP.

Ohh, I see you say your using 1.5, sorry, don't know about that version, but I would think it would work the same way, find the .exe file.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yup, just go to the MozillaFireird folder on your hard drive, open it, right click on the mozillafirebird.exe file and select SEND TO, and then select DESKTOP.
View Quote

Yes that works for the home page
but if I am at AR15.com general discussions page , how do I create a desk top shortcut to go there ??

This should not be that hard, I am just not onto it yet.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
but if I am at AR15.com general discussions page , how do I create a desk top shortcut to go there ??

View Quote

Are you talking about bookmarks or what? Im a little confused on what the exact question is.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you talking about bookmarks or what? Im a little confused on what the exact question is.
View Quote

In IE it is called shortcut placed on desktop
you hit the shortcut on the desktop and it takes you to the web page.

It is not a favorite or bookmark, it is a icon placed on the desktop, that is a shortcut to the web page.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, you are talking about bookmarks, I see now.  Every time I try to make a website bookmark shortcut on my desktop, it always ends up as an IE bookmark for that site, instead of going through Mozilla.  I'm not sure how to get the shortcut to go through Mozilla instead of IE.  A lot of help I am.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I have looked and looked, maybe mozilla does not do it???

I only installed the browser --- would that make a difference ????
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
if mozilla is your default browser, all you have to do is right click the desktop and do new shortcut. then type in the full web address for whatever you want. then double click and it will open. if it isnt your default browser, then i dont know. Ive never known anyone to make desktop shortcuts instead of a bookmark inside the browser.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The shortcut is simply using your default browser (IE). Set Mozilla as your default browser and it will open in Mozilla when you click the shortcut.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#11]
gotta use the standard windows stuff.

right click on desktop
new>shortcut
type or paste url in
type the name of the shortcut

thats it
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#12]
yes it seems the last two responses were correct
I have to use IE to create the desktop shortcut
and then Mozilla opens it as the default browser

thank you
very much
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Ahhh, didn't think of that, my default browser is IE, Mozilla is secondary.

OK then. Go tools/options/general, and set Mozilla as default browser.

Then open bookmarks/manage bookmarks.  Now you should be able to drag and drop any bookmark you want to your desktop as a shortcut.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Got it thanks to all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top