Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 2:37:20 PM EDT
Before anyone says it, I am going to the doctor to get it checked out but I wanna see what the "professionals" here on Arfcom think first.

My foot has been hurting for over a month now.  On the inside of my right foot just above the arch about halfway between my ankle and my toes I get a pain whenever I take a step.  Also if I hold my foot up and rotate it around at the ankle, I feel a slight pain as well.  I can flex my foot just right and I hear an audible "pop" that I can also feel that is in the same area where the pain is coming from.

I don't remember doing anything to my foot to cause any sort of injury.  The first time I remember it hurting, I stepped inside my house through the door and felt a sharp pain in the area that now hurts and for the first couple steps the pain was pretty bad, then it subsided a little bit.  Now the pain hasn't changed for over a month.  Each step I take I can feel it and sometimes it's worse than others.  

I've never had a broken or fractured bone so I don't know what that would feel like.  There has been no swelling in the area.  

The pain is definitely not muscular, it feels like a tendon or bone problem.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
plantar fascitis.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
plantar fascitis.
View Quote

Sounds like it
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Seeing how I stayed at Holiday Inn last night, I would say that you have a fracture in the bones on the top of your foot.

These bones are not much stronger than egg shells and can be broken easily. I have done it a few times by hitting the top of the foot or dropping things on the foot. It never turned blue or any swelling but sure hurt like hell.

Your first sentence summs it up. Try to fine a doc that stayed at Motel 6 for another opinion.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
If it is plantar fascitis, the problem is that it's a tear that never quite heals, because you partially re-injure it every day.

Your doctor will probably tell you to massage and stretch your foot gently before you jump out of bed every morning - to prevent it from re-tearing when you put pressure on it after relaxing it all night.

Maybe he'll tell you to buy some neat Birkenstock sandals!  [:D]  (They actually make really good shoes)
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn it, I was afraid of that.  

I didn't even know his symptoms but a friend of mine in the military was diagnosed with plantar fascitis and for some reason that just popped into my head the other day.  

All too often things pop into my head that turn out to be prophetic...*sigh*.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe you have toelio.

It works up the leg and becomes kneesels.

I just hope you don't develop full fledged smallcox.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn it, I was afraid of that.  

I didn't even know his symptoms but a friend of mine in the military was diagnosed with plantar fascitis and for some reason that just popped into my head the other day.  

All too often things pop into my head that turn out to be prophetic...*sigh*.
View Quote

Even IF it is, plantar fascitis can be really benign.  My fiancee had troubles like you describe for months, but after she saw a doctor and got some new shoes and a few stretching exercises to do - it pretty much went away pretty quickly and never came back again - so hopefully it'll be pretty easy for you too.  (if it even is that, and not something entirely different).
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#8]
It's cancer. You have five months to live. Sorry.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#9]
It might come from your toe.  Check it carefully.  You might have a nail it it.  On the other hand/foot, the PF may be caused by a spur.  I had a noticable heel spur and took calcium and it went away, along with the PF.  I know, spurs are calcium buildups, but I believe a spur is caused because the calcium is being leached from the bone.  A little extra calcium and it's gone.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a similar problem - it came on suddenly after walking about 3 miles one day.  I had 8 inch boots on and had no symptoms before the pain started.  I nursed it for 6 months or so until I couldn't walk.  The doc prescribed a brace (boot) that I wore until my hip on the opposite side hurt so bad I could barely walk.  
The boot helped while I had it on, but I had to wear it nearly 100% of the time.  I finally got prescription orthotic inserts that more or less took care of the problem, even though my arches were in good shape.  I still get a twinge, but not the outright pain.

So, you have my sympathy.  By the way, don't stop at the first orthopedic surgeon if you don't like his recommendations - the quality of this category of surgeon seems to vary all over.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Try some nice gel insole insert things that you can buy just about anywhere, I used to have foot pain until I put the insoles in all of my shoes/boots.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe you have toelio.

View Quote

Goddamnit! You silly sonofabitch! I almost woke up my daughter laughing at that nonsense!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#14]
... Cameltoe maybe?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
... Cameltoe maybe?
View Quote

No cameltoe has been near my foot much less some cameltoe viscous enough to cause injury.

Now injury to other parts caused by cameltoe is another story...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds kind of like a tendon injury I had 25 years ago in the Navy.  Not sure what caused it, but it came and went.  Some how I injured the sheath the tendon slides in and it had built up scar tissue.  Periodically it would get inflamed or tweaked and would cause the tendon to hang up or get squeezed and that caused pain like you described and I would get the popping feeling when it would hang-up and then let go.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I had plantar fasciitis for a good long time.  It's subsided completely now.  Best way to help is to lighten your load.  Also, the stretches really do work - do them when you get up in the morning, or after you've been off your feet for a while, before walking around.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe you have toelio.

View Quote

Goddamnit! You silly sonofabitch! I almost woke up my daughter laughing at that nonsense!
View Quote

Glad I could help.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I have Plantar Fascitis, it ain't a big deal.  I don't go barefoot anymore and have to make sure all my shoes, boots, "slippers" and sandals have good arch supports to keep supporting that weak spot.

I hiked the entire Appalachian Trail in 1995, thats 2,170 miles of daily hiking, 15-27 miles per day for six months, my Plantar Fascitis did not act up unless I was barefooted.

At first, anti-inflammatories are probably in order to get things under control, then get to a podiatrist to figure out if you need custom orthotics or regular Spencos, Superfeet or Sorbothane Ultras will do for you. I do well with Spencos.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Judging strictly by my own bout with plantar faciitis, what you describe doesn't sound like it, but I'm no doctor nor do I play one on TV. PF is, in my case, indicated by a more localized and sharp pain in the bottom of the heel area.

I developed PF due to running even though I had prescription orthotics and stayed off concrete. I believe it came about due to my tendency to be a midfoot striker combined with doing too much speedwork and hills without easy days.

Once it developed, I got immediate relief only through cortisone shots, but I and any physician would recommend doing this sparingly as it's my understanding that too many injections into the same general area can lead to a weakening of tendons and ligaments in the area, predisposing them to ruptures/severing.

In severe cases, surgical severing of the plantar fascia may be called for. How and why this is done, I don't know. All I know is that one girl in our running club got it done and was still able to qualify next year for the Olympic trials in the marathon.

PF plagued me off and on for probably close to six years, though it fortunately became less of a pain (literally) in the later stages. This coincided with more attention and time paid to stretching. I also bought what's known as a Step Stretch. It's a crescent-shaped thing that you step on and rock back and forth slowly on. Stretches your calf and, to a lesser degree, the foot.

In addition, there's a device available that basically locks your foot and ankle into a 90-degree position, and you wear that at night. I've been told this works well. You can check the aforementioned devices at [url]www.roadrunnersports.com[/url]. Good luck; it sucks to be hurt. [:(]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Mad Cow Disease?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]
its prolly HERPES so you will have it FOREVER.

solution -- just quit walking on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top