Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 12:19:09 PM EDT
Can you lemon law a service department? the Three times my car has gone in for routine care it comes back with shit f$&ked up.......then I have to turn around again and set up more appointments to get it fixed...

My blood pressure is thru the roof.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Lemon laws are state dependent, but I'd bet that they all focus on the initial sale of a defective automobile.  Service is not a factor, unless that particular service is dealing with the issue making the car a lemon in the first place.

More info is needed on your part.  What kind of car do you have, what is the mileage, and what's the condition?  Is your car just a POS suffering from a domino effect of repairs, or do you suspect sabatoge?    

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#2]
No all you can do is shop around for a good mechanic, having a good mechanic is as important as having  a good doctor.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife bought a 2003 Saab...it is a great car anyway...we take it in for service it getsdelivered with something else f#&ked up.  We keep getting the excuse that it is the software..

The first time the mechanic didnt reset the computer system and half the intelligence didnt work,,,sent back..Fixed..

Second time for service...they sent it back and programmed the car so all the interior lights worked except for the temperature controls knowing I was leaving with it on a 2000 mile trip mostly at night...Excuse again..software.

Our car is custom programmed to our liking...
I told them that if they program it they should keep a backup of our program or atleast notate it...

Then the argument stewed when I told them what I do for a living and I have worked with Saab on the M3A3 bradley...it isnt the damn software...it is the lack of competence in their mechanical staff...not enough training or pushing cars thru service without giving two shitz

Sorry for the rant...it is a true inconvenience and this is not what I paid for!

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you having this done at the dealer? If so, forget about the service manager. Go to Saab directly. I assume they have zone managers?

BTW, this is the price you pay for flat rate work. Driveability problems pay squat, so there is little incentive for the tech to fix it properly. Basically it's the old Diagnostic Dartboard. Try something and hope it works, and do it quickly.

If you think it's bad now, wait a few years. Most of the competent mechanics I know are getting out of the trade. Too much BS for the money.

G
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you think it's bad now, wait a few years. Most of the competent mechanics I know are getting out of the trade. Too much BS for the money.

G
View Quote

Thats why my brother got out of the business after 22 years and went to wrench Military Aircraft

Edit: Dealer Service is what it is because of Warranty....This is only Service..I hate to see warranty work
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah basic sob (saab) story...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like we have some people in here that know what they are talking about! All of these responses are true. I spent 20 yrs with various GM divisions in the service dept until I finally decided enough is enough. I became a pilot. Anyhow, warranty work does in fact suck, the factory allows far less time for a job than it can be preformed and the mechanic aahh..I mean automotive technician takes it up the poop chute almost every time. Then, in walks an out of warranty repair and well..the customer takes it up the you know where. To make matters worse for the customer, you never really know how well the mechanic is trained or if they take pride in their work or not. I could tell you a few horror stories. The fact is that it's a jungle out there when you take your car in for service, be carefull!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I got out of the car biz after working my way up from a grease monkey to Porsche service manager. I got out to work in Civil Engineering. Hell I didnt really care what type of work it was as long as the lying and cheating was kept to a min.  If you are smart enough to work on a high speed rolling computer someday you wake up and decided to not put up with the bullshit that goes along with it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#9]
call the state of michigan bureau of automotive regulation, it is in lansing, you can get the nuumber from your local secostate office
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm fairly competent when it comes to things mechanical.  When I do not have the time/tools to do the job efficiently, I will take it to the local shope for repair.  Unfortunately, I is ALWAYS neccessary to check the work that has been done.  Basic diagnostics is almost non-existent.  I cannot even begin to count the times they broke something else or did not fix the problem the first time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top