[#2]
G36
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#3]
H undt K
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#4]
G36K

Not sure about what kind of sight device he has on there. It's not the normal Sight rail with Irons, nor the compact G36C rail that is all the buzz in the HK world.

[url]http://www.hkpro.com/G36.htm[/url]

Many AR'ers dislike the weapon, but I have both an AR and an SL8 (same basic internals, slightly different exterior chassis) and I have to say I love not having to take an hour to clean the rifle after shooting;  it's clean in under 10 minutes because there's just not that much that gets dirty.

(yes, my AR is still my bug out rifle though for now...)

E

(edit - made link a 'hot link')
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Is this guy carrying the same thing?

[img]http://www.foxnews.com/images/111226/20_2_122203_terror_alert6.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Not only is he carrying the same thing (poorly) - he's standing in almost the same spot!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#7]
That’s a fugly gun .

but then ask a WWII or Korea vet what he thinks of the AR and he will say the same thing
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#8]
That's a horrible picture, but yes, I think so.

The tail end toe of the stock is shaped like a G36, and the front end forearm does resemble a G36.

The fisheye lens distorts the image enough that I can't get a clear reference of 'size' with such as mall picture.

I'd say it's either the G36K or G36E.

E is a full size with 18.9" barrel, K is the carbine with a 12.5" barrel.

All have 1 in 7 twist to stabilize the NATO spec SS109 round (62Gr)

I've heard of shooters getting MOA groups with match grade 72+gr ammo out of the 20" 1 in 7 SL8 barrel all the way out to 300 yards.  I've not shot that far out yet with mine to be able to confirm that.  But initial 100 yard groups are MOA with just basic 193.

My SL8 (on it's way to becoming a G36 Clone)
[img]http://www.epix.net/~elmosaurus/sl8.jpg[/img]

E

(edit so that my comment makes sense.  LOL)
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#10]
It is a G36 with the bi-pod folded

[img]http://www.hkpro.com/image/g36woods2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hkpro.com/image/g36cmag.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Many AR'ers dislike the weapon, but I have both an AR and an SL8 (same basic internals, slightly different exterior chassis) and I have to say I love not having to take an hour to clean the rifle after shooting;  it's clean in under 10 minutes because there's just not that much that gets dirty.
View Quote

Dude, if it takes you an hour to clean an AR, you are doing it wrong [:D]  Get an Otis kit, and be done with it in 5 min.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I saved locally, magnified, and changed the lighting on both pictures.

They are both definitely G36K's (carbines)

I knew they were definitely NOT G36C's (compact CQB weapon) I was sure of the first being a K, but unsure of the second due to the fisheye lens distortion the photographer used. (poor taste in my opinion;  it makes the photo look stupid)

They're NOT fullsize E models, because there is not sufficient barrel length forward of the forearm, plus, the forearm has 4 vent holes in it, not the six of a Fullsize (my SL8 has the fullsize forearm on it)

I'm still at a loss of what the first guy did to his optic rail though... it's like he has the front irons directly mounted to the forward mount point.  He has what appears to be the Knights shorty rail mounted to the back, with a red dot (ATN or OKO probably) mounted;  which negates the need for the forward iron...  it wouldn't cowitness at the height his forward iron is mounted at.

*shrug*

oh well.

E.

(edited to make my thoughts make sense.  AGAIN.  Damn I'm not doing well today...  must... go...home.. for... holidays...)
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Dude, if it takes you an hour to clean an AR, you are doing it wrong [:D]  Get an Otis kit, and be done with it in 5 min.  

Ghost
View Quote

No no, don't misunderstand.  I COULD be done in 5 minutes.

But, I'm anal retentive.  Always have been, always will be.  I clean until the rifle looks just about new inside and out.

If TEOTWAWKI hits, I've got a bore snake in the stock, and a can of brake cleaner for 90 second cleaning to keep it running in between 1000 round cleanings...  :) (along with a bottle of CLP in the stock to relube afterwards)

Excessively clean?  probably.  But then again, how else do I relish in the fact that I have the freedoms to go to the range on a saturday afternoon, shoot a couple hundred rounds, and bask in the aura and smell of spent powder and casings?

:)

It's more a ritual than a necessity... :p

I'm just saying to keep both rifles SPOTLESS, it takes considerably less effort to maintain the G36 type internals.

E.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Over cleaning is a sure way to FUBAR that AR, or any gun for that matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top