Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2003 6:47:37 AM EDT
On CNN

Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher in good condition after being attacked in Jerusalem at Al Aqsa Mosque, Israeli police say.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
[url=http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/1203/22jerusalem.html]More[/url]

Muslim demonstrators attacked visiting Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher on Monday as he tried to pray at the Al Aqsa Mosque, Islam's third-holiest site, in the Old City of Jerusalem, witnesses said.

Witnesses said Muslim extremists lunged and shouted at him and threw shoes in his direction. Bodyguards surrounded the minister and whisked him out of the compound. They said he was heard saying, "I'm going to choke, I'm going to choke" as he was being taken away.

A convoy raced Maher to an Israeli hospital.

Witnesses said Maher was not injured, but was taken to the hospital after complaining of not feeling well.[rolleyes]

Maher was in Israel on Monday for talks with Israeli leaders about resuming peace talks with the Palestinians.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the "Palestinians" don't want anyone interfering in their mafia state's plans.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe now Egypt will close up the boarder arms to the Palestinians.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Israeli Police Hold Seven in Maher Assault  
16 minutes ago  
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli police arrested seven Palestinians in connection with an assault on Monday on Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher in the al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem's Old City, a police spokesman said.

All seven, arrested on Monday evening, are from East Jerusalem, spokesman Gil Kleiman said.

No further details were released about the suspects, some of whom could be charged in court as soon as Tuesday, an official said, speaking on condition he was not further identified.

The arrests were revealed shortly after Maher headed home to Egypt accompanied by two Israeli doctors following medical checks at Hadassah Hospital where Maher was brought after complaining of shortness of breath following Monday's assault.

Maher, 68, in Israel for landmark talks about Middle East peace efforts, was accosted and jostled by radical Muslims yelling "traitor" as he tried to pray at the al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem's Old City. He was rushed away by a body guard and Israeli police
View Quote

I just love it when our enemies start killing each other, dont you?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you read the BBC report that blamed the Israelis for the Palestinan's attack on the Egyptian foreign minister?

[b]After visiting Israel to discuss the peace process, the Egyptian foreign minister visits the Al-Aqsa Mosque. While praying, he is mobbed and pelted with shoes by "Muslim militants -- possibly Palestinians" and, according to the BBC "the incident is sure to cause some embarrassment for the Israelis."[/b]

But not the Palestinians.  Oh no.  They're the victims, after all.  They cant possibly do any wrong

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3341435.stm[/url]

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just love it when our enemies start killing each other, dont you?
View Quote

Can't argue with you.  Sometimes I think the Isrealis are being heavy handed, then I read something like this and think, "No, they're not heavy handed.  The Isrealis know exactly what they're doing."
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#7]
[sarcasm]  Gee, bad luck.  How unfortunate that he happened to visit the mosque just when the _small minority_ of extremists happened to be praying.  Surely, had he simply been there at a better time he would have seen doves and peace and a crowd supportive of ending terrorism and violence. [/sarcasm]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top