Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2003 6:27:03 AM EDT
Local News    

Sheriff Exchanging Gift Certificates for Guns

Wayne County Sheriff Warren Evans hopes to get unwanted firearms off the street by handing out gift certificates to those who turn them in. In a program that runs Monday and Tuesday, the "Detroit Free Press" reports Evans will give $50 gift certificates to the first 170 people who turn in the weapons. Guns are being accepted at the sheriff's road patrol offices in Westland, and the mini-station in Highland Park.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Can this cut both ways?

I'll give them gift certificate in exchange for guns.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#2]
You can bet your azz that any gun getting turned-in for a $50 gift certificate is a gun that is worth less than $50.

just another liberal "feel-good" jerk-off...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
makes me wanna go to the people getting in line and saying :

" pst!...

what you got there... ?
nice..... I'll give you [b]$60[/b] "

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Hummm. Now if someone was to stand out side and pay a $55 gift certificate for some of the better stuff with no transfer of ownership would that be within the law?

That would be a exchange or barter as no money would change hands.[thinking]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'll give them gift certificate in exchange for guns.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking.

Give them a gift certificate - get a gun.

wOOt
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

" pst!...

what you got there... ?

View Quote

you my friend, are a genius [:O]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Not only intercede in the good guns going in, but most dealers have a junk drawer. If you have one or two handy those would be worth a certificate.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Damnit!  If I was up there I'd be picking up every "gunsmith special" Jennings I could find!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#10]
There was an "exchange" here last summer where I handed over a unrepairable old .22 single shot for a $50.00 gift certificate.

Fools.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I will gaurantee you that if enough guns come in, some will be vintage S&W Model 29's and such from afraid little soccor moms who didn't know what they had. And of course, Mr. Sheriff will make sure they find their way to his private collection.

Anyways... the libs like to redistribute wealth and as in this case, they like to redistribute POWER (from the people, TO the state). Quite the little "architects" of social change aren't they? Stalin would have been proud...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

" pst!...

what you got there... ?

View Quote

Hell, you could probably cut 'em off at the knees for $40 cash.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds creepy, guess it's just one of those things I'm glad not to have to deal with...

no'streets' where I live, and any sheriff peddling some crap like that wouldn't be sheriff after the next election.

in the biggest town in this part of the state, that's been tried, all it got was some pieces of rust and wormwood turned in by the snaggletooth prison-tat crowd looking for bag money. didn't last long.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell me, does Sheriff Fukbreath have a FFL?

Of course, lets see if the BATF bothers to even look. Of course not, the law gets to ignore the law in these cases.

Someone turn him in for buying, and possibly selling, firearms in tHE course of his business without a license.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#15]
It's all a publicity stunt. The sheriff is getting some favorable press coverage, and I bet the $55 gift cert. moneys were supplied by the local merchants in spirit to doing their civic duty. I bet if some of the donors were smart, if they would turn a weapon they used to murder someone, then that will be the last they see of the gun. Good way of getting rid of some incrimindating evidence.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#16]
A few years ago me and a friend were considering setting up a fake toys for guns setup in the ghetto for a day.  Unfortunantly would couldn't think of what to do it a LEO saw us.  

On another note, do these programs accept zip guns made from 3 bucks worth of crap from home depot? if so I could make some good cash
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool the Gift certificates are to Walmart, I just trades in 6 .25 acp Ravens with a ported barrel, Ivory grips and night sights, I took the gift certificates and bought a new Remington 870 at Walmart. Just kidding thought it would be funny.

Most of these gun buy backs are no questions asked. I would bet some of the ones that get turned in are stolen. In Michigan there are registration laws regarding handguns. I wonder if those guns will be returned to the owners
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Aren't pellet guns turned in alot too?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top