Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 5:21:43 PM EDT
Anyone here use their motorcycle as their main or sole source of transportation?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
back in the early 70's i did, now i have a scoot, truck and a car.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#2]

[blue]Yup! Sold my car, but couldn't find anything I liked to replace it. Had to drive it rain and shine and bitter cold and 2 or 3 times . . . snow! Love my CBR600!

It was about 4 years ago.

[/blue]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Twice. Once in high school and again in college. Though in college, I had something with 4 wheels that could be used when absolutely necessary. Given that the "cage" was a 63 ford f100 that got 9mpg and had 9 gallon tank, I tried not to drive it. At least it worked when I needed to haul all my shit out of my ex's place. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I am right now.  2000 KLR650.  The university I go to has zero parking for cars (practically), and with the bike I can park right at the door of whatever building I have class in.  Besides, it's probably easier to ride a bike year-round in Honolulu than anywhere else.  

There is another reason -- it's fun!

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I use my bike to commute to work (approx 100 miles per day). If I don't have anything large to take with me, I'd rather ride my bike than take my full size 4X4 truck to work.

I save on gas and time. I can ride in the car pool lane and split lanes (legal here) to save a lot of time in my commute.

Traffic in SOCAL can get quite busy is some areas, and with the bike I can get arround much faster. Just have to ride very defensively and watch out for the cagers.

I don't exactly get great milage on the bike with 1670cc (102ci), but I sure have fun. I have a Road Star Warrior.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Not my sole source, but I ride unless I have to carry large things, take the kids someplace, etc.  I usually put more miles on the bike than my truck (at least to and from work).  The weekends is usually spent hauling the family around.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 2 motorcycles so I can ride one when the other is being worked on. My commute is 25 miles round trip so enen in the winter it is not too bad. I have a truck and a car. The wife drives the car and the truck is kind of a off- road toy. A motorcycle is the only wat to get around the Bay Area.

One bike is a 1989 Honda Hawk the other is a 2000 Bandit 1200
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to I have had 4 CBR 900RR's and used to ride them exclusively.  Then with a $8000 bike i did after 2 years buy a $600 car in my early 20's.  Now im married with kids and no longer have them.  A lot of fun but to many cars around now.  My wife used to video tape me riding 100mph wheelies in the country which was a lot of fun, but those days are over.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Close, but not completely...

During the summer, I ride whenever the weather is good, and/or the distance is long....

My car is a 97 Z-28. Great car, fun to drive, but my bike gives me the same performance (450cc. Slow bike, fast car...) at over 2x the MPG...

Right now it's winter (WI weather sucks from October thru May), and my wiring harness burnt out, so I'm on 4 wheels all the time...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#10]
USPC40, motorbikes have been my only motorised transport for my entire adult life. I've never owned a car, pickup, etc.

I have no idea what the weather is like in your area, but where I am I never have to worry about snow, so I can ride all year round. Carrying large and/or heavy items can be a problem.

Depending on the weather where you are you may need to consider several sets of riding gear (jackets, pants and gloves) for summer and winter. I have three different jackets, two sets of riding pants, two sets of gloves, as well as boots and a full face helmet. I use all of them, but at different times of the year depending on the weather. If you want to be comfortable all year round, it's worth buying the right clothing for the different types of weather you'll be riding in.

Oh, and expect every 2nd driver to not see you even when you're right in front of them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:43:57 AM EDT
[#11]
My MC is my main trans.  I revert to the car in nasty weather.  BTW, nasty is a combination of rain & cold.  Cold alone does not necessarily equate to nasty.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I had to ride the old sporty a bunch of years back as my only source of transportation. Lemme tell ya, it gets really cold here in PA in the winter and I found an ole' lady with a car pretty fast. Thank god things are turned around for me know.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Used to.

Year round.

In Michigan.

But that was after using my bicycle as my main/sole transportation for years.

Now I'm soft & old.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to.  A couple months ago I needed another commuter vehicle, so I was really close to getting a bike just for that purpose (65 each day)...but at the last minute I found a little car that runs on gas or compressed natural gas...so now I get to drive a boring car in the HOV lane...pratical, yes, fun to drive...not really.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Years ago, for a couple of years that was all I needed.
Yamaha 125 [lol] enduro. SCARY in the rain. Rode that baby for a year rain and shine.

H/D great bike and a lot safer than the little dirt bike. Got run over and couldnt afford to replace it.

I wouldnt do it again if I had a choice. Too many bad drivers.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Bike from april to november then 4x4 Ram in the winter.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes, during law school my only vehicle was a 1982 Yamaha Seca.  It sucked when it was cold or rainy but other than that it was fine.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top