Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2003 9:54:53 AM EDT
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,106334,00.html

WASHINGTON  — The government on Sunday raised the national threat level to orange, the second-highest, saying attacks were possible during the holiday season and that threat indicators are "perhaps greater now than at any point" since Sept. 11, 2001.

"Information indicates that extremists abroad are anticipating near-term attacks that they believe will rival or exceed the scope and impact of those we experienced in New York, at the Pentagon, and in Pennsylvania more than two years ago," Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said in a statement released before his news conference on the announcement.

The color-coded system was last raised to orange on May 5. Authorities reported receiving general intelligence that pointed to possible terror attacks in the United States related to bombings in Saudi Arabia and Morocco that killed dozens of people. The threat level was returned to yellow 11 days later.

U.S. officials by the end of last week were telling holiday travelers to be vigilant about the threat of terrorist attacks. The warning was prompted in part by a raised level of ominous intercepted communications that has not quieted for months.

The significance of the sustained level of intelligence "chatter" — a shorthand term that describes intercepted communications and other intelligence — is unclear, the officials said.

Homeland Security (search) officials said they did not expect a change in the threat level unless more specific intelligence was received.

On Friday, the Arabic television network Al-Jazeera (search) aired a new statement from Ayman al-Zawahri, the chief deputy of Usama bin Laden (search). The CIA said Saturday it believes the tape is authentic.

"We are still chasing the Americans and their allies everywhere, even in their homeland," according to the voice on the tape.

Some statements from al-Qaida leaders are later regarded as preludes to attacks; others simply propaganda.

Gen. Richard Myers (search), chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Sunday morning that officials were trying to determine whether increased terrorist chatter being detected in recent weeks was an aberration or something more serious.

"There is no doubt, from all the intelligence we pick up from Al Qaeda, that they want to do away with our way of life," he told "Fox News Sunday."

"And if they could use another catastrophic event, a tragedy like 9-11; if they could do that again, if they could get their hands on weapons of mass destruction and make it 10,000 (deaths), not 3,000, they would do that."

Myers said he and Ridge were to discuss the threat level "in the next 24, 48 hours" and raising the level was under active consideration.

"It's Secretary Ridge's business, but the Department of Defense does play a role in supporting federal agencies in this regard, and so we're discussing this right now," said Myers, who just returned from a trip to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Much of the threat information suggests attacks directed at U.S. interests in Saudi Arabia and Iraq, officials said last week.

"My guess is the government is taking this very seriously both in Saudi Arabia and here," Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, told CNN's "Late Edition" shortly before Ridge's announcement.

The State Department last week recommended that its nonessential diplomatic personnel as well as diplomatic families leave the Saudi kingdom.

But U.S. officials also believe there is a domestic threat from Al Qaeda operatives in the United States.

The May change in alert status was fourth time it had risen to orange. Each change set off a flurry of increased security measures by cities, states and businesses. The lowest two levels, green and blue, and the highest, red, have not been used since the system was put in place in early 2002.

Here we go again.  Lock and Load.

edited to add Link
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

AGAIN BIG WHOOPDIEFUCKINDO

Lock n' load because the level went up???? Dude you should be lock n' loaded at all times. You never know when something bad will happen. Being prepared for shit should not be an as the terror level goes up or down thing.You should be ready for it at anytime at anyplace. It is when we least expect it that we will be hit again. Besides that it's a holiday season what do you expect.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
My stuff was already loaded.

Am I the only one tired of hearing the word "chatter"?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#3]
No worries men, the Homeland Defense Snowmen are here!

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=219850[/url]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

AGAIN BIG WHOOPDIEFUCKINDO

Lock n' load because the level went up???? Dude you should be lock n' loaded at all times. You never know when something bad will happen. Being prepared for shit should not be an as the terror level goes up or down thing.You should be ready for it at anytime at anyplace. It is when we least expect it that we will be hit again. Besides that it's a holiday season what do you expect.
View Quote

Well, DUDE, I am always in that state too but, as was alluded to in another thread, other Americans have already become complacent.

If you saw the news conference like I did, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up - "liable to meet or exceed what happened on 9/11."

They've gotten a lot of flak for raising the threat level "willy-nilly" so I think there is some serious s**t going down.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#5]
great, just when the econemy was picking up too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well, DUDE, I am always in that state too but, as was alluded to in another thread, other Americans have already become complacent.
View Quote

It's not like the Gubermint wants our help anyway.  Try and help, get arrested for sumpthin.

If you saw the news conference like I did, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up - "liable to meet or exceed what happened on 9/11."

They've gotten a lot of flak for raising the threat level "willy-nilly" so I think there is some serious s**t going down.
View Quote

Chicken Little Syndrome, if you ask me.

Hopefully, I'm right.

Heavy weapons teams, bomb squads, city, state and federal weapons of mass destruction units, bioterror sensors, undercover agents, thousands of uniformed officers and so-called Arch Angel convoys — units trained to remove dignitaries in case of an incident — are all part of the plan.
View Quote

ARCH ANGEL convoys!!!  

Oh Boy!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My stuff was already loaded.

[red]Mine too!!![/red]

Am I the only one tired of hearing the word "chatter"?
View Quote

[lol]I thought I was the only one that was.The media LOVES that word.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Remember when the MoslemMaggots put out a warning for all Muslims to leave New York City about a month or two ago?

I do think however that we will see a "big one" before the next election. Especially since GWBush's approval #s and the economy are both rising strongly.

And the sick&twisted Democrats and their more-than-willing accomplices in the media would gleefully use such an attack as political ammo to destroy GWBush and install a much more UN-friendly, terrorist-appeasing Democrat President.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Whoopity freakin doo..........who cares. [:|]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I have mixed feelings about the govt raising that level just for "chatter".
I'm not changing my routine for chatter.

Al qaeda has been threatening shit since 9/11 but has yet to produce. Bring it on ya punk ass muslim bitches!

If they do pull off an attack right around Xmas and mess with Jesus' B'day, they might find many of the americans who are in denial about this being a religious war may finally wake up. Sooner or later the silent majority will begin to speak.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#11]
So moms everywhere, when going shopping, watch out for Osama in the mall. Watch for Ayman in the parking lots. And dear lord, walk in a zig zag motion from house to house while carolling.

I could understand if Tom was coming on TV to tell us all to be on the lookout for something specific... but he's sounding more and more like one of the terrorists. Although I guess they have cut out the middle man... Osama's gotta be pissed off that Tom Ridge gets top billing every time he releases a tape.

It's like an Amber Alert that comes up on the highway that doesn't say what car to look for, because no one's been abducted yet... but they might be.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's like an Amber Alert that comes up on the highway that doesn't say what car to look for, because no one's been abducted yet... but they might be.
View Quote

Excellent analogy.

Be alert.
For what?
I don't know.
Uh, ok.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
"Serpentine!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#14]
The Orange Alert won't affect people who are not connected with homeland security. If you're a police officer, fireman, etc yes. Unfortunately, terrorists have the advantage of surprise, so our govt has to prepare for most every other contingency. For us ordinary people, just stay alert and watch for whatever. Someone brought up the fact that the time difference between the first and 2nd WTC attack was almost 7 years.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
[sammy hagar]Red, red, I want red[/sammy hagar]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's some chatter:

The chair is against the wall.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So moms everywhere, when going shopping, watch out for Osama in the mall. Watch for Ayman in the parking lots. And dear lord, walk in a zig zag motion from house to house while carolling.

View Quote
No not at all.

If you've ever been to an airport under Yellow Alert and under Orange Alert - you'd know very well the "heightened" security measures that are automatically put into place when Orange Alert is given - for example automobile security checkpoints going into the airport are increased, all cars are stopped and checked and the checkpoints and moved to a further radius away from the airport.

Also...

* All airport security personel working passenger gates are [u]required[/u] to be awake at all times

* The metal detectors are required to be "on"

* And there MUST be at least ONE English-speaking airport screener present at each gate - ebonics is an acceptable alternative to English under "Yellow Alert" but not "Orange Alert".

[:)]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also...

* All airport security personel working passenger gates are [u]required[/u] to be awake at all times

* And there MUST be at least ONE English-speaking airport screener present at each gate - ebonics is an acceptable alternative to English under "Yellow Alert" but not "Orange Alert".

View Quote

Well, OK, as long as they're taking it seriously.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here's some chatter:

View Quote

John has a long mustache.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's some chatter:

View Quote

John has a long mustache.
View Quote

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Chatter. What the Media calls communications between terrorists.

What I call messages between allies, taunting and getting taunted by human enemies on Startcraft Battlenet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#22]
the warning system is BULLSHIT hear me BULLSHIT a attack is going to happen when we least expect it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
the warning system is BULLSHIT hear me BULLSHIT [red]a attack[/red] is going to happen when we least expect it.
View Quote

Didn't we already cover this?  Shouldn't it be "an" attack?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Now I'm confused:  Is the Amber alert AFTER yellow and before orange or after orange and before red?  Or does it depend on the shade of amber?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
No not at all.

If you've ever been to an airport under Yellow Alert and under Orange Alert - you'd know very well the "heightened" security measures that are automatically put into place when Orange Alert is given - for example automobile security checkpoints going into the airport are increased, all cars are stopped and checked and the checkpoints and moved to a further radius away from the airport.

Also...

View Quote

And that is why I will no longer fly commerical aviation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top