BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2003 7:26:24 AM EDT
Thank God!
-----------------

GET THE 'MAN' OUT OF MANICURE

By KAREN ROBINOVITZ
New York Post

December 21, 2003 -- Bring back the real men! New York women are sick of competing with - and dating - men who fuss over their hair, skin, nails, teeth, clothes and cuisine.
"I can't stand metrosexuals!" cries 23-year-old saleswoman Lauren Levin, who has written "metrosexuals need not apply" on her friendster.com profile. "I want to get manicures with my girlfriends, not my boyfriend."

If there was a buzzword of 2003, it was "metrosexual" - used to describe the alarming amount of straight men who delight in traditionally female pursuits like yoga, pedicures, facials and sample sales.

The backlash has begun.

Levin recently went on a date with Alexander Vorgias, a chiseled 23-year-old commercial real estate agent. Within minutes she knew that he was not for her.

"First," she begins, "he ordered plum wine. He wore so much gel in his hair. His tan was perfect. His suit was Armani."

After he asked about her breasts ("Are they real or fake?" is how Levin recalls it) he confessed he was surprised she went out with him, since, when they first met, he wasn't immaculately dressed.

"You're such a metrosexual!" she blurted.

"I haven't been tanning in three weeks!" he shot back. He did, however, admit to using concealer to cover a bruise he got while playing paintball.

She ordered two more sakes.

Vorgias, a born-and-raised New Yorker, is still confused by Levin's reaction. "Maybe it's a byproduct of urban Manhattan life, but suddenly I'm being called a metrosexual," he says. "I care about how I look. I tan every few weeks. I buy Aramis creams and under-eye lotions. But the word 'metrosexual' is not manly."

For the record: Vorgias' date thinks metrosexual men are "overcompensating for something, like personality deficits, or size."

And she's hardly alone.

"It's annoying to be surrounded by so many metrosexual men!" says Theresa, a 26-year-old event planner who asked that her last name not be used. "I was actually out on a date with a guy who asked, 'Who designed your pants?' Shouldn't he just be happy that I look good in my pants?"

Theresa says that guys who work in the media - whom she tends to meet through work and at trendy bars like B'low and Filter 14 - are "girlie."

"They're all doing Atkins," she grouses. "They talk about dieting, clothes and working out. I don't know where the real men are."

"I feel like we're in the 1800s and guys are wearing wigs and pompadours," says Meghan Cleary, the 32-year-old author of the soon-to-be-published "How to Tell a Woman by Her Shoes."

"I went out with the sweetest guy, but I almost died when he took me to Jeffrey so he could get Gucci loafers!" she says. "He told me about the custom-built cubby-holes in his shoe closet. He e-mailed me photos of shoes. I thought, 'This is not a man.'"

"I thought it was just a Manhattan thing," says Jessica Gordon, a 22-year-old student/bartender. "But I moved to Williamsburg and haven't met one straight guy who doesn't have the affected gay lisp or refer to the person who cuts their hair as 'my stylist.'"

Gordon says she quit hanging out at swanky clubs like Lotus in favor of dive bars, where she thought she'd meet "guys' guys."

But metrosexuality is airborne. "I just had a date with a videographer in the East Village," she reports. "He asked if I'd want to have a manicure with him."

While New York women may be fed up, there's no sign of the trend abating. Bliss Spa has just added a new menu of treatments for guys; "The Metro Man" package, offered by Loews Hotels, provides male makeovers, wine tastings, spa treatments and a personal shopper for up to $2,370. Viewership for "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" - the makeover show that has probably done more to spawn metrosexual behavior than anything else - has skyrocketed to over 2 million. There's even a new guidebook called "The Metrosexual Guide to Style" (DaCapo Press; $12.95), which gives the aspiring dandy demented tips.

It's not just women who are over the phenomenon. Ben Affleck recently deflected charges that he was a metrosexual by claiming he didn't know what the word meant, but thought it sounded like "someone who has sex with urban areas." On a recent episode of "South Park," every man in town became metro, getting highlights and wearing fur.

In January, S.K. Smith's book "The Bad Ass Bible: An Essential Guide for Men," a tongue-in-cheek tome about the manly basics of food, shelter and sex, will be released.

"It's a response to the metrosexual movement," Smith says, calling it "a debilitating identity crisis for men."

Theresa D'Amato, a 25-year-old legal assistant, recently dated her metro guy, an entertainment industry exec, for a month. "He was so soap-opera good-looking - he had perfect hair, skin and clothes," she says. "But he bought more beauty products than I did."

After the break up, she swore off metrosexuals. Now, she's dating a tattoo-covered cop.

"He's built. He can fix my car. I have to beg him to shave sometimes. Who would have thought I'd love to lounge on a La-Z-Boy and watch the game on TV?" she asks. "But I do!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#1]
This is why I want to move to San Francisco.  Less competition.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Yet another proof, as if we needed one, that New York and California are about .00002" from being completely another fucking world.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Its official.
Feminism is dead.
They tried to turn us into women and they failed.
Buy guns, drink beer, watch football.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#7]
proud to be a neanderthal!!

mike
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's not forget Howard Dean called himself a metrosexual there for a minute [kill]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#9]
So what do you all think? Was metrosexuality just a way for guys to cash in on the latest fad and get more poonanny? Or are there really a bunch of guys out there who care about their nails and wear concealer of their own free will?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Apparently, Jarhead.  I know of one guy like that.  He says he's such a fag, loves to shop, loves to cut hair, loves fashion, but he also loves to pound shaved snatch. I told him there's a word for guys like you: Metrosexual.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Someone e-mail those poor fed up with metrosexuals women a link to Arfkom.
View Quote

Damn right....tell'm I gave up going fishing today so I could finish tearing down frilly ass wall paper in my big bathroom so I can paint it.  Tell'm I'll be in my shop this evening fixing a broken piano stool and putting a new carb kit in my weed eater...and by then, I'll be drinking liquor, straight out of the damn bottle.

Tell'm I was in touch with my feminie side once, when I was 5, and it lasted about 2 seconds...

-HS
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Women said they wanted men to be that way and now they reap what they sow!

gimme a beer and a machine gun

or should I say give me the machine gun and when I'm finished I'll have a beer
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#13]
This was in the paper just a few days after the great [url=www.castle-hams.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=219105]retrosexual[/url] thing hit the net.

Coincidence? [;D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#14]
So, all these bitches are complaining about the men [i]that they've created[/i]?  My wife watches that show and I've already told her to forget all that crap.  The most she can do is buy me new shirts, underwear and socks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Proud to be a Metro.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#16]
We need another John Wayne type actor bad.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Unrecontructed male here. Now that I'm 52, it's finally over....fucking women.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Unrecontructed male here. Now that I'm 52, it's finally over....fucking women.....
View Quote

Can't get it up anymore huh?  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe I should move to New York after all, with all the competition drying up.

Let's see... 99% of the time, I wear jeans and a t-shirt, and maybe a jacket if it's cold. The only Italian-made thing I'd buy would be a Beretta. You'd need a platoon of Marines to get me to a manicure or a spa. I fix cars. I have far more money in tools then in clothes. Now, where are the women?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Metrosexual is a new compound word for "fucking flaming fag." (Hey, was that alliteration I inadvertently accomplished there? ooooh, I need some plum wine...)
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#21]
The girls wonder where the "real men" are??  Here's a hint honey, they aren't in NYC and Kalifornistan.

They are in the REAL United States.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't get it up anymore huh?  [:D]
View Quote

I believe the term is "Gotnosexual".
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn, a good ol' redneck boy that hunts, shoots, fixes cars, fishes, and treats ladies like ladies is what women really want?

Since when?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, I own exactly one pair of good shoes, but two pairs of boots, and the my ammo stash alone costs more than all my clothes.  I am man, hear me roar...*meow*...WTF that come from?  Ahem...*ROAR*!  Ahh, much better.  I was afraid I was drifting to the dark side for a moment there [:D].  Well, I guess we're back to square one.  First women want manly men, then they changed to "loving" men, and then to "sensitive" men, and now, back to the good ole days!  

Ghost
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The only Italian-made thing I'd buy would be a Beretta.
View Quote

What about DVD's of the Spaghetti Western Trilogy?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only Italian-made thing I'd buy would be a Beretta.
View Quote

What about DVD's of the Spaghetti Western Trilogy?
View Quote

Benelli, Ferrari, Lamborghini, fettucini, spumoni, ...
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The girls wonder where the "real men" are??  Here's a hint honey, they aren't in NYC and Kalifornistan.

View Quote

Hey fella, this Kalifornistan man is crushed over your insensitive comment. Why don't you come to LA and we can do lunch and chat over a latte.

CW, baby.  [8D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

...Monica Bellucci...
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

...Monica Bellucci...
View Quote

Finger licking good!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I knew my slovenly ways would pay off some day.

Suck shit pretty boys!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Cy, we got one his name is Bruce Willis.

BT
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Does this mean I can burp and scratch my ass again?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#33]
"Real Men" - Joe Jackson
[u]Night & Day[/u] (1982)

Take your mind back - I don’t know when
Sometime when it always seemed
To be just us and them
Girls that wore pink
And boys that wore blue
Boys that always grew up better men
Than me and you

What’s a man now - what’s a man mean
Is he rough or is he rugged
Is he cultural and clean
Now it’s all change - it’s got to change more
’cause we think it’s getting better
But nobody’s really sure

And so it goes - go round again
But now and then we wonder who the real men are

See the nice boys - dancing in pairs
Golden earring golden tan
Blow-wave in the hair
Sure they’re all straight - straight as a line
All the gays are macho
Can’t you see their leather shine

You don’t want to sound dumb - don’t want to offend
So don’t call me a faggot
Not unless you are a friend
Then if you’re tall and handsome and strong
You can wear the uniform and I could play along

Time to get scared - time to change plan
Don’t know how to treat a lady
Don’t know how to be a man
Time to admit - what you call defeat
’cause there’s women running past you now
And you just drag your feet

Man makes a gun - man goes to war
Man can kill and man can drink
And man can take a whore
Kill all the blacks - kill all the reds
And if there’s war between the sexes
Then there’ll be no people left

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I wore the same pants 3 days in a row, didn't shave in 2, I dont give a shit what people think of me. I have a girlfriend I'm not trying to impress anybody.

Hell I wore shorts and a fleece in the snow 4 days ago.

I dont even own a pair of shoes, the last suit I wore was 10+ years ago durring my high-school graduation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#35]
When I get the "slob look" perfected, I'll need a some guest consultants for my own TV show.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When I get the "slob look" perfected, I'll need a some guest consultants for my own TV show.
View Quote

I'd volunteer, but I got this thing against ever being on TV again.

I have a feminine side....my WIFE!

Never worn a suit.
Shave my head cuz its easier than having a hairstyle.
Wash what little hair I have with soap. It does the job and I dont have to mess with shampoo.
Dont shave on my days off.
Could almost care if there is dirt under my fingernails, or if I even HAVE fingernails (lost one once to a fence post pounding accident...didnt really bother me).
I own exactly TWO button-up, long sleeve shirts, and I think 3 polo-type shirts. Other than that its all t-shirts and a couple sweatshirts, and the wool sweater the Marine Corps issued me 6 1/2 years ago.
Two pairs of shoes, one of which is running shoes that I bought before I went into the Corps. I do have a few pairs of boots though.
Whats a 'manicure'? Sounds like some sort of feminazi mumbo-jumbo, like a cure for men or something.
I dont even use aftershave, forget that perfume for men shit that they sell.
I burp, fart, scratch my ass and nuts (even in public!), pick my boxers out my asscrack when necessary, spit, hock loogies (however you spell it), and will occassionally share info with others on when I need to take a shit.
Dont use lotion. Ever.
Have never eaten 'queesh' (keesh?), or anything else that starts with a Q.

Where was this backlash against faggotass pretty boy little wimps when I was single? But NOOOOOO, I had to be stuck in the People's Republik of Kommiefornicate then.

For you guys stuck behind enemy lines (occupied PRK and NY), there IS hope: I met my wife in the PRK, and she would rather kick the shit out of those prettyboy little turds than even talk to one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd volunteer, but I got this thing against ever being on TV again.

I have a feminine side....my WIFE!

Never worn a suit.
Shave my head cuz its easier than having a hairstyle.
Wash what little hair I have with soap. It does the job and I dont have to mess with shampoo.
Dont shave on my days off.
Could almost care if there is dirt under my fingernails, or if I even HAVE fingernails (lost one once to a fence post pounding accident...didnt really bother me).
I own exactly TWO button-up, long sleeve shirts, and I think 3 polo-type shirts. Other than that its all t-shirts and a couple sweatshirts, and the wool sweater the Marine Corps issued me 6 1/2 years ago.
Two pairs of shoes, one of which is running shoes that I bought before I went into the Corps. I do have a few pairs of boots though.
Whats a 'manicure'? Sounds like some sort of feminazi mumbo-jumbo, like a cure for men or something.
I dont even use aftershave, forget that perfume for men shit that they sell.
I burp, fart, scratch my ass and nuts (even in public!), pick my boxers out my asscrack when necessary, spit, hock loogies (however you spell it), and will occassionally share info with others on when I need to take a shit.
Dont use lotion. Ever.
Have never eaten 'queesh' (keesh?), or anything else that starts with a Q.

Where was this backlash against faggotass pretty boy little wimps when I was single? But NOOOOOO, I had to be stuck in the People's Republik of Kommiefornicate then.

[red]For you guys stuck behind enemy lines (occupied PRK and NY), there IS hope: I met my wife in the PRK, and she would rather kick the shit out of those prettyboy little turds than even talk to one.[/red]
View Quote

I'm confused. Does this mean we can date your wife?

CW in LaLaLand
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Guys nothing has changed.  Women have always wanted a man that is a man, but that is capable of getting dressed up to go out for a night on the town.  The metros got confused and took it too far, and the marketing folks jumped on it.  Why wouldn't the cosmetics companies want to tap into that 50% of the buying public they've been missing?

There is nothing wrong with owning some nice clothes.  Whether you're single and trying to meet women, or married and just like to appease your wife from time to time.

Those of you that are rambling on about having not bought new clothes in 10 years or whatever but then crying about not meeting women.... think about it.  Looking good and looking gay aren't the same.  If you'd figure that out you might actually get laid.  While women might want a "real man", don't get confused.  They still don't want to show up at a bar and go home with the fat guy in the corner with 3 days stubble and wearing a 2 day old sweatsuit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Guys nothing has changed.  [red]Women have always wanted a man that is a man, but that is capable of getting dressed up to go out for a night on the town.[/red]  The metros got confused and took it too far, and the marketing folks jumped on it.  Why wouldn't the cosmetics companies want to tap into that 50% of the buying public they've been missing?

There is nothing wrong with owning some nice clothes.  Whether you're single and trying to meet women, or married and just like to appease your wife from time to time.

Those of you that are rambling on about having not bought new clothes in 10 years or whatever but then crying about not meeting women.... think about it.  Looking good and looking gay aren't the same.  If you'd figure that out you might actually get laid.  While women might want a "real man", don't get confused.  They still don't want to show up at a bar and go home with the fat guy in the corner with 3 days stubble and wearing a 2 day old sweatsuit.
View Quote

Bond, James Bond.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Theresa D'Amato, a 25-year-old legal assistant, recently dated her metro guy, an entertainment industry exec, for a month. "He was so soap-opera good-looking - he had perfect hair, skin and clothes," she says. "But he bought more beauty products than I did."

After the break up, she swore off metrosexuals. Now, she's dating a tattoo-covered cop.
View Quote

That-a-girl. Now get me a beer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm confused. Does this mean we can date your wife?

CW in LaLaLand
View Quote

No, it means that sometimes you can still find good women behind enemy lines.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#42]
The first thing I thought when I saw this:

"Against them or us!"

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#43]
quote:
---------------------------------------------The girls wonder where the "real men" are?? Here's a hint honey, they aren't in NYC and Kalifornistan.

------------------------------------------------

AMEN.  People in NYC and LA actually think the rest of the country has something in common with them?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
quote:
---------------------------------------------The girls wonder where the "real men" are?? Here's a hint honey, they aren't in NYC and Kalifornistan.

AMEN.  People in NYC and LA actually think the rest of the country has something in common with them?
View Quote

God, I hope not.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
quote:

View Quote

God, I hope not.
View Quote

So are you stationed out there, or did your company send you out there, or what? You dont sound like you would choose to live there willingly, nor did you start out there. Thats the impression I get, anyway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Bond, James Bond.
View Quote

Exactly.

Ian Fleming was light years ahead of his time.

Bond - the ultimate retrosexual.

You don't have to use a loofah, make-up, or fancy hair gel to "dress up."
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Im defined by some as a metro, and by many as a SNAG (sensitive new age guy), yet I love guns, hunting, killing pests, military related stuff.  

I confuse myself alot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top