Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2003 1:04:40 PM EDT

This movie is garbage. I didn't see the first two, but I went to see Return of The King on Wednesday to see what all the hoopla was about. I can understand kids liking this stuff, but there are a lot of adults that are into this nonsense. Grow up!

You might like this movie if you are the sensitive side and enjoy watching intimate male bonding. No joke. I got sick of watching these scenes of the characters staring into each others eyes or crying when things go south. I wasn't expecting a masculine movie, but jeeez! This movie is for sissies.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
it's a white boy thang...............you would'nt understand.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you read the books?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Have you read the books?
View Quote

No, but I've been told that they are better. I am not much of a fiction type of guy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're right. Alot of "white boy thangs" I can pick up and maybe enjoy, but this aint one of 'em. A little too far from home base for me.
I can't feel ya'll on this one.

[@:D]

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Um, it's called "literature."

It's actually a tad above the Star Wars level.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You're right. Alot of "white boy thangs" I can pick up and maybe enjoy, but this aint one of 'em. A little too far from home base for me.

View Quote

Do not feel badly, my melanin rich friend.  Despite being born with the looks of an Aryan poster boy, I too cannot relate to LOTR.

Perhaps it is because I didn't spend my youth holed up in my room reading fantasy elf shit instead of playing sports.

What's your stand on the original Starwars trilogy?
Can you "feel" us on that?   no...not the books....

-HS
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Um, it's called "literature."

It's actually a tad above the Star Wars level.
View Quote

Wise guy. [;)]

Yea, I know it's "literature". I said I don't like fiction. I prefer philosophy or a good biography.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This movie is garbage. I didn't see the first two, but I went to see Return of The King on Wednesday to see what all the hoopla was about. I can understand kids liking this stuff, but there are a lot of adults that are into this nonsense. Grow up!

You might like this movie if you are the sensitive side and enjoy watching intimate male bonding. No joke. I got sick of watching these scenes of the characters staring into each others eyes or crying when things go south. I wasn't expecting a masculine movie, but jeeez! This movie is for sissies.
View Quote

How the hell is a movie where thousands upon thousands of guys slaughter each other a "sissy" movie? The movie is an epic tale, much like Star Wars is, except with Fantasy instead of Sci-fi trappings.

Oh, and if you didn't see the first two, no wonder you aren't going to like the third. You basically came in for the last third a movie/book/story, which directly relates to the first two.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Do not feel badly, my melanin rich friend.  Despite being born with the looks of an Aryan poster boy, I too cannot relate to LOTR.

Perhaps it is because I didn't spend my youth holed up in my room reading fantasy elf shit instead of playing sports.

-HS
View Quote

I can't feel ya'll on Star Wars either, but only because I haven't taken the time to read the books or watch the movies. It looks more interesting than LOTR but the fantacy world in general just does nothing for me. Harry Potter looks wack too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

[red]Perhaps it is because I didn't spend my youth holed up in my room reading fantasy elf shit instead of playing sports.[/red]

-HS

View Quote

Hey I read the story when I a Bradley driver. When ever we had down time I read. It was better than reading Conan/Heavy Metal comics.

I love this board, we can speak our minds honestly.

To each his/her own!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

No offense, but what kind of a dumbass would go see PART 3 of a three-part story that is relatively convoluted and complicated.  These aren't three stories loosely tied together, but ONE STORY.

If you haven't read the books and haven't see the two preious films, why in the world would you go see it?

Grow up?  Why don't you go read the books, and the tell us to grow up.  They are an example of sublime literature, written by a man who experienced the horrors of WW-I personally, and was seeing the transformation of Europe into an industrialized world.  Just because the story is set in an imaginative setting does not mean it is not relevant.

I suppose you tell people who think "Starship Troopers" is a good book to grow up as well?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#12]
perhaps zulu dawn is more to your liking.
I think the LOTR movies are the best fantasy movies ever.
The books are even better.
Oh well, Your loss.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Lalalalalalalalalalalalalala.......

I can't heeeaaaar yooouuuu.

I'll let you know in about six hours.  [%(]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hey I read the story when I a Bradley driver. When ever we had down time I read. It was better than reading Conan/Heavy Metal comics.

I love this board, we can speak our minds honestly.

To each his/her own!
View Quote

Right on, CB1!   I'm not real big into escape literature, but if you put me in a hell hole I might welcome the genre.  I have neglected reading anything other than periodicals and "how to" "tech manuals" books over the last few years with a few fiction novels here and there.  When I read the most was toward the end of HS and beginning of college....then, I read mostly philosophy based material political material.  I did read some Joseph Campbell book on Heros and myths a long time ago....it covered, I believe, from Gilgamesh to Star Wars in mythology...it was a good read.
I just aquired Unintended Consequences....I haven't read much, but it has the makings of good escape lit...

take care,

-HS
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#15]
The movie is a garbage version of the book.

It has its moments sure. Aragorn even has a line along the lines of "Stand together, men of the West!" that i felt was rather apropos.

But...... the homoerotic implications were a bit less than subtle. Especially in the ending. What the f? If you don't know, Ian McKellen is gay, and is rather effete in real life. It's a tribute to his acting skills that none of that came through in his portral of Gandalf. All until that last scene after the coronation.

buffalo-soldier, read the book. It's not like that. Really. I promise. It's great, one of the best pieces of fiction crafted in the last century and is full of manly actions and deeds. It's a shame Peter Jackson took the male bonding the wrong way.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Its a metaphore.

Can you say metaphore?

But I agree (without the dumbass comment-That's just rude),  one needs to apreciate the whole, and not just the last of three parts.

ETS: Metafore?  Meta-4?  my splling sukcs.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess you don't care for Wagner either????
This one is probably the least true to the books from what I've heard.-- especially the liv tyler character.

There is a lot more going on then then meets teh eye....
popular with pagans and members of the right wing conspiracy.
Star Wars IT AIN'T!!!

>> oh yeah-- the soundtrack is pretty good too.
requiem for a dream is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, actually it was a MAGNIFICENT version of the book.

But...... the homoerotic implications were a bit less than subtle. Especially in the ending. What the f? If you don't know, Ian McKellen is gay, and is rather effete in real life. It's a tribute to his acting skills that none of that came through in his portral of Gandalf. All until that last scene after the coronation.
View Quote

I'm sorry, but you're truly an idiot if you believe there were ANY homerotic implications in the movie.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]
The movies are great.  The books are better.

The book was recently named "The Best Book of the 20th Century", and rightly so.

It was written by a devoutly Christian man and it is about good vs. evil, faithfulness vs. contempt, and the standards of civilization vs. lawlessness.

Tolkien was the best friend of C.S. Lewis, who incidentally, led him to Christianity.  They spent hours with other Oxford professors debating religion and languages.  The love of the English language is obvious in the work.

A great story, well told.

"I will take the ring, though I do not know the way." - Frodo
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#20]
actually because of the runaway success of the lord trilogy, they are going to be making it's prequel "the Hobbit". How can they lose on this proposition? the first three did better than the new starwars trilogy!!(which suck by the way!) it's just silly how these books came out ages ago then languished as silly cartoons for decades until someone said hey lets make a real movie out of it. IMHO the trilogy actually has four parts because the hobbit has the same storyline as well as most of it's chracters as the remaining books. Long live Tolkien!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
it's just silly how these books came out ages ago then languished as silly cartoons for decades until someone said hey lets make a real movie out of it.
View Quote

The technology to make acceptable live action versions for a realistic budget simply didn't exist until about the last ten years.  Before the rise of CGI, these movies would have cost BILLIONS to make.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sorry, but you're truly an idiot if you believe there were ANY homerotic implications in the movie.
View Quote

Oh yeah?  WTF was the deal between Samwise and Frodo?  And Merry and Pippen?  Seemed kinda fruity if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#23]
The "scenery "was nice.Made me want to visit new Zeland.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Oh yeah?  WTF was the deal between Samwise and Frodo?  And Merry and Pippen?  Seemed kinda fruity if you ask me.
View Quote

I don't believe I did.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

They were FRIENDS. Say it now, I know you can. Guys can be friends without being gay. The whole homo in your face movement has spoiled a lot of things that used to be considered good.

Nick
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think they were intentional. I just don't think P. Jackson thought too hard about how he shot that scene. EVERYONE in the theater started chuckling halfway through the silent stares. The bed-jumping didn't help.

And speaking of which, there were just way too many quiet stares during the film. Jackson overuses that technique. Hey, maybe we could have seen the scouring of the shire if we didn't spend so much time staring into frodo's eyes!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
actually because of the runaway success of the lord trilogy, they are going to be making it's prequel "the Hobbit".
View Quote

You have anything to document this?  Peter Jackson has openly said that he wouldn't do "The Hobbit", and I don't think the fans would accept anyone other than him to direct Tolkiens work.

IMHO, the movie kicked ass and was on par with the other two.  I'm sorry that some of you don't get it, you're truly missing something great.

"My dear friends, you bow to no one." -King Aragorn
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#28]
The book is one of the greatest works in the world of literature.  It is a very rich story told in beautiful prose.

Peter Jackson did a great job with the three movies.  It was a very complicated story about a world that has no references to today's world except the concept of duty and the opposition to evil.  Jackson had to take a short cut or two to keep the three movies from being another three hours long.  I can live with that.

It would have been better to have told the story in four movies and have included a little more detail and the Scouring of the
Shire.  

The story is about courage and the Fellowship of the Ring.  If you haven't read the books and especially have seen the first two movies then you would not really understand the richness of the story. It is almost like if someone has to explain it to you then they are just wasting their time and your time.  Either you get it or you don't.

Too bad.  That is your loss.  I really enjoyed reading the book 30 years ago, re-reading them last year and seeing the movies.

Hey, but that is OK.  We don't all like the same things.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
actually because of the runaway success of the lord trilogy, they are going to be making it's prequel "the Hobbit".
View Quote

You have anything to document this?  Peter Jackson has openly said that he wouldn't do "The Hobbit", and I don't think the fans would accept anyone other than him to direct Tolkiens work.

View Quote

I actually heard a story on the news a few days ago that Peter Jackson was trying to acquire the rights (or something like that) to the hobbit, and was investigating making it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I just saw it and I thought it was excellent.  I will admit the ending was sort of drawn out, but very much worth it.  I wish they had included the Hobbit revolt like in the book though.  Like others have said, you either get it or you don't.  There was no "gayness" in this movie, mabye your projecting some hidden feelings?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I just got back from being turned away from 2 showings...  sold out!

I guess I should have called ahead and checked.  

B-S,  the story was broken into 3 parts by the publisher.  Tolkien never intended the story to be in three parts.  You should not have gone to see the movie without seeing the first two before.

Read the book.  It is the way Tolkien meant the story to be conveyed.  The movies are great, but the book is exponentially better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I saw the second movie, and I think I would rather have hot tar poured down my nostrils than watch another second of that shit.  It was worse than Matrix Reloaded.

YMMV, of course.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They were FRIENDS. Say it now, I know you can. Guys can be friends without being gay. The whole homo in your face movement has spoiled a lot of things that used to be considered good.

Nick
View Quote

Got that right!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nick
View Quote

Got that right!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Appernely Peter Jacksons company is goign to adapt Cronicles of Narnia as there next project.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How the hell is a movie where thousands upon thousands of guys slaughter each other a "sissy" movie? The movie is an epic tale, much like Star Wars is, except with Fantasy instead of Sci-fi trappings.
View Quote

Yeah, it's like Star Wars, with gay sex.  [:)]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just saw it and I thought it was excellent.  I will admit the ending was sort of drawn out, but very much worth it.  I wish they had included the Hobbit revolt like in the book though.  Like others have said, you either get it or you don't.  There was no "gayness" in this movie, mabye your projecting some hidden feelings?
View Quote

I'll bet you're the kind of guy that watches the "Ambiguously Gay Duo" with a straight face right? hehe
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll probaly see it during the next 2 days (my days off).  I liked the first two, the two towers was the better of the two.  I would have went earlier but I dont like crowds.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick
View Quote

Got that right!
View Quote

You can say that again!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I read LOTR in Jr. High and really liked it.  Of this trilogy, the first was great, the second was good, and the third was poor.

I hate movies that end, and then go on for another hour.  They added so much crap that was not in the original books, they would have been better off having the eagles pick up our heroes and then ending the damned thing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll bet you're the kind of guy that watches the "Ambiguously Gay Duo" with a straight face right? hehe
View Quote

Naw, they're pretty funny, haha.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
B-S,  the story was broken into 3 parts by the publisher.  Tolkien never intended the story to be in three parts.  You should not have gone to see the movie without seeing the first two before.

View Quote

That is how I've been approaching the movies, as just one single movie.  I understand it is not some people's cup of tea, but damn, this really is the greatest movie ever made, even if from just a production standpoint.  I loved the books, and I couldn't be more pleased with the movies.  There are probably a couple changes I would have made, but to have the story brought to life the way it was is just simply amazing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Starting with the 2nd movie, PJ veered away from trying to remain faithful to the books.  Which made it a worse series, imo.  [:(]

RotK was better than the 2nd, but the first was better than either.  None of them were truly Great films, though.

I think the Harry Potter movies will be better overall in the end.  The books, while not "literature" are still fun reads.

Quoted:
and I don't think the fans would accept anyone other than him to direct Tolkiens work.
View Quote

At this point I'd hope for someone else to do them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#44]
The books, while not "literature" are still fun reads.
View Quote

hmm, either that is a personal opinion or I don't understand the context of the word "literature" in this conversation. I'm not trying to be snide either. Enlighten me please.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

hmm, either that is a personal opinion
View Quote

Duh

or I don't understand the context of the word "literature" in this conversation. I'm not trying to be snide either. Enlighten me please.
View Quote

Literature being the fine old classics of yesteryear, ala LotR, Chaucer, crap like that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Okay. I just got home from the movie.

I thought it was excellent. The battle scenes were a bit less than I expected but were very good, nonetheless.

I don't mind anyone saying they are not into this type of story/movie. But damn it!! Don't be trying to read anything homosexual into it. If someone thinks they see homoerotic actions in the movie they need to back away from the keyboard and go out into the real world.

I saw Pete Jackson do an interview, maybe in the Special Features of [i]The Two Towers[/i], and he flat out said he would not be doing a movie of [i]The Hobbit[/i]. But maybe he has changed his mind since then.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Here's one bit of documentation... although more rumoresque than anything.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-film.html?2003-12/01/11.30.film
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peter Jackson has openly said that he wouldn't do "The Hobbit"
View Quote

Here's one bit of documentation... although more rumoresque than anything.
View Quote

How about this quote?

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/15/film.rings.jackson.ap/index.html]from interview[/url]:

AP: There's a lot of curiosity now about whether anyone will film Tolkien's prequel, "The Hobbit." Are you interested in directing that someday?

JACKSON: I'd be happy to. It would be strange for somebody else to do it. And I also think to do justice to "The Hobbit" it would be great to bring some of the same actors back. (Like Ian McKellen for the wizard Gandalf and Andy Serkis for the ghoulish Gollum.) I think it would be cool thing to have the continuity of the design and the look and feel of the world and use whatever actors we're able to repeat in the story.

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

[img]http://www.synergizedsolutions.com/simpsons/pictures/others/comicbookguy1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Well I remember me and a few other people were messing around woth out version, in it Bilbo was abused as a child and did the same to Frodo.  He was sending him to Arragorn who was a pimp and sent Samwise who was one of his thugs to take him.  Im not even going to get into what kind of ring the ring was (its probaly what yout thinking).  Gollum is a crackfiend andwas hired by Sauron the main crack dealer to get back his ring.  At the end of the movie Samwise, Merry and Pimpin, get into a Jerry Springer style fight over who goes to Mordor with Frodo.  

It was much longer and more drawn out then that, thats the short rundown of it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top