Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2003 9:50:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe they are afraid of the retalliation?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
They lack the resources and organization to strike outside the Muslim world.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#3]
This is why.

[img]http://a9.cpimg.com/image/E7/51/27413479-f5d9-02000180-.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What is your best reasoning as to why Al Qaeda has not struck our homeland again?

Are they afraid of our borders [red] HAHAHA thats a good one [/red] and the 'heightened' security?

While we sometimes scoff at the measures, and rail against the lack of effectiveness of some post-Sept 11th changes, maybe there is something they fear that we don't know.

Are they simply biding their time until some important date in the future?

Or the arrival of some sort of weapon?

[b]"We are still chasing the Americans and their allies everywhere, even in their [u]homeland[/u],"[/b] said Ayman al-Zawahri, the No. 2 figure in al-Qaida, in that Al-Jazeera broadcast excerpt, from the other day.

Does [u]he[/u] know something we don't?

So what is your best guess at why there has been no repeat of their spectacular success on Sept 11th by Al Qaeda?

Eric The(Stumped)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

We haven't become complasent enough just yet. Thats all it is. They can get into the country from mexico rather easily so I don't think the borders are an issue. And as far as homeland security, well until they do something about the borders being wide the fuck open the Dept. of homeland security is a joke. How secure are we if anyone can come over the border and have a better than average chance of making it accross undetected.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Two reasons
Al Queda doesn't do half-ass.  They like big spectacular attacks and these take time to plan and execute.

They are too busy staying alive to execute big attacks right now.  They could do small scale, but that isn't their style.  To paraphrase Deniro:
Do you see them hijacking buses with a "Born to Jihad" tatoo on their heads?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
They are waiting till a democrat takes over the White House.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#7]
My best guess would be we caused a lot of disruption especially financially to their organization. I don't believe they are afraid of our security measures. Might take more effort and planning to breach our security measures but they can and will be breached again in my opinion especially when Al Qaeda gets more desperate.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#8]
they have fallen back and are regrouping/reorginizing this shit aint over by a long shot.

How many times before 911 did we see attacks-plenty over a course of years prior!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#9]
1.  Operations in Afghanistan have limited their ability to; plan, finance, and carry out attacks.

2.  They waited over 8 years between their WTC attacks.  They're not going to rush anything.

3.  Heightened sense of awareness from Law Enforcement. (at least I hope)

4.  Racial profiling.  I know it's illegal and "nobody" does it, but I think it's still happening.  Most Americans are keeping a closer eye on the Arabs that live and work among us.  I sure as hell do.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the attacks of 9/11 while seeming very successful at first turned out to be a huge blunder. Even Al-Qaeda has to deal with politics and those attacks had long lasting, perhaps devastating negative effects on the way Al-Qaeda is now viewed by the rest of the world. The countries that used to support them can no longer afford to support them even surreptitiously. It is too costly politically speaking.
The countries that can support them can not provide the kind of support that they need for protection. I think Al-Qaeda is in a disarray that they will never recover from. We will continue to see attacks carried out by individuals and small groups. As long as the group is fighting for it's survival, these individuals really have few places to hide, few places to train.
The fewer hiding places, the fewer training grounds, the fewer supporters, the easier they are to watch and catch.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to throw a wrench in the works here, but I will state what I mentioned in the "NYC Warning thread..."

THEY ALREADY WON!

We are living in fear of "The Next Attack".

Mission Accomplished.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry to throw a wrench in the works here, but I will state what I mentioned in the "NYC Warning thread..."

THEY ALREADY WON!

View Quote

At least you are.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I think we have captured and disrupted there resources to the effect that they cannot effectivly do the attacks, we had captured and still are capturing key elements by disrupting the money supply.

I here people all the time say this war is a waste of time! I tell them Bullshit! the Dems are full of it to. I think saddam and ben laden
that arafat fuck are all in it together plus others will surface, why is lybia all of a sudden wanting to dismantel the WMD programs?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#14]
They haven't struck because they are little pussies who depend on finding easily-brainwashed youngsters to carry bombs on their bodies.

Just kidding. I think the real answer is that they will. Realize that they (Muslims) think in very long terms, alomost a "Biblical" timeframe. They waited 8 years to re-hit the WTC because they were not successful enough. We've been kicking their asses left and right, and they want payback.

Americans have EXACTLY a 90-day attention span. We proved this at LAX. 90 days after 9-11, they caved to public whining and reinstituted curbside check in. Many more examples exist about our attention span. Theirs is very long term.

LAX WILL be hit because they tried and failed when the bomber was intercepted coming in from Canada. A scale model of LAX was found in Afghanistan when we kicked ass on the Taliban / al Qaeda training camps.

Stand by folks - it is coming.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

THEY ALREADY WON!

Mission Accomplished.
View Quote
[hail2] Ding-Ding....we have a winner here!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#16]
[IMG]http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL106/755827/1309945/21473132.jpg[/IMG]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THEY ALREADY WON!

View Quote

At least you are.

View Quote

Ok, read all of the posts above my first one.

THEN tell me we aren't "Thinking Of/Fear Of/Worrying About" The Next Attack.

Personally, no, I don't care, and am not gonna waste what is left of life wringing my hands and wondering.  However, a lot of people do that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#18]
My biggest worry is that they will attack witha nuke (if they can get one) or a dirty bomb.
They will attack using such means by sea.
They don't even have to land at a port, they can detonate the bomb as the cargo container ship is pulling into the harbor.

Almost all cargo centers coming in by sea are near very large cities and population centers.
La., NYC, , if they hit NYC they would take out Newark also, that's conservatively 10 million people who would die or become ill with radiation sickness.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#21]
jrzy,

Your damage estimate is way too high. If they do get their hands on a nuke, it will be a small, battlefield level unit that got loose from the former Soviet Union. Much less damage will result than a multi-megaton warhead would cause.

As for a dirty bomb, also much too high an estimate. Dispersal of the radioactive agent will not be as efficient as you would think. It will be localized to a small area by a conventional bomb.

Worry about airliners and other planes being used as guided missles (yup, even though we are taking precautions), suicide and car bombs, and sabotage of various utilities.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#22]
look how long it takes them to plan, organize and operate an attack.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I think we've gotten and are getting a lot of intelligence simply by not killing every unwashed mother's son of them, but wringing their addled brains for anything they can tell us. I think that information is being coordinated [CIA/DIA/FBI/NSA/ASA] and hard guys with a will to make some MF'ers pay and pay dearly are being sent out with very unambiguous orders. The gloves are off and it's time for a reckoning that will be spoken of with horror in the Muslim world for generations.

Oh wait, [i]that's what would be happening if [b]I[/b] was President.[/i] I guess al Qaeda is busy elsewhere right now, but count on them getting back around to us eventually.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#25]

A lot of good answers.
 Some of what I think would be redundant:

1. Banks are scrutinized when dealing with these assholes.  So it's harder for them to have places to stack their drug money.
 2. The international community really tries to help and crack down on them.
 3. Intelligent effort is in concert than before--therefore, more effective.
 4. They start to lose some of their safe sanctuaries.  So scramming to find a better, safer places cut their undertakings of planning the next big one.  
 5. Last of all: the recognition (and this applies everywhere, especially in US after 09/11).  People are leery when they see an Arab-looking/ appearance individual, and this is hard for them to operate.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#26]
They shot their wad and now there is a refractory period until they can mount another attack.  They need money, materials and manpower to accomplish their attack and they are not able to fully gather all three at the same time due to our efforts.  It wont be as easy the second time around.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#27]
There haven't been any attacks on US soil for the following (my) reasons, in order of effectiveness:

1.  US troops (military, feds, etc) are bustin' their arses and stopping [b]many unreported attempts[/b].  Don't ask me for a link - I ain't got one.  Refer to sig line #2.

2.  We have disrupted their infrastructure: comms, $$, mobility, etc.  Kind of ties in with #1 above.

3.  We kicked their arses.

And one can only pray neither of these two get elected.  

The UN will protect us!! [rofl2]

Quoted:
A President Kerry or a President Dean would be more likely to turn to the UN for its grand leadership in the War on Terror...they have stated as much in their speeches and debates.
Eric The(Impatient)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#28]
This has been said before, but bears repeating:

1.They don't do small time. (Yet)
Something we should all be thankfull for.

2. They are disrupted, and probably have had attacks that were stopped last minute.

3. They, like our liberal-antigun foes, are patient and willing to wait until  we grow complacent.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't think we've disprupted their financing all that much. The U.S is still a HUGE fund raising area for them-- just like mexicans, the muslims here send money bqack home, and to islamic 'charities' ...

They don't use the 'normal' banking system.
They have a verbal agreement/western union/camel express version that they use.

They still export tons of opium and and other drugs (mostly bound for europe).
and then there are the petro dollars....they root of all muslim evil...
If it wasn't for the fucking oil money- we wouldn't know who the fvck these people where!!

"The pali-who????"
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

[b]"We are still chasing the Americans and their allies everywhere, even in their [u]homeland[/u],"[/b] said Ayman al-Zawahri, the No. 2 figure in al-Qaida, in that Al-Jazeera broadcast excerpt, from the other day.

View Quote

As long as the American people keep looking behind them for a terrorist, then the terrorists will always be chasing them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I guess my point should be more along the lines of.....As long as we face the terrorists head on, then they cant chase us...We seem to be keeping them pretty busy at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#33]
3 words: George W. Bush
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#34]
God must be on our side, because like ETH, I am surprised they haven't carried out any follow-up attacks since 9/11. I mean when you take everything into account: they have a bitter hatred for the West+ are willing and eager to blow themselves up for Allah+ its a piece of cake to get in through Mexico+ we are vulnerable to dozens of different types of attacks+ not only Al Qaida, but Hizballah and Hamas are well funded and supported= conditions they would hope for.

Either our guys are doing a good job or they are not as big of a threat as we thought.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What's really amazing is that there haven't been any suicide bombings at American malls.

That only takes a small cell, but as Mohammad & Malvo certainly demonstrated, the effect would be to shut down a very large area.

With a whole lot of 'collateral damage' to the US economy, and a propaganda bonanza of large proportions all throughout the Islamic World!

If the answer to that is that fundamentalist Islamists who live in the United States have become too assimilated to do anything so base as that, you need to remember that Mohammad Atta lived in the US for 5 years.

I am amazed that 'West Bank fever' has not come to our shores.

Eric The(Relieved,ButStillAmazed)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

What do we have that most of the rest of the world doesn't? What would you do if they had sb's at a mall near you and one of your family was hurt/killed? (We've never met but I think I know the answer to that) End of discussion.

They do - they die. All of them. And there are not enough police to stop it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#36]
NMSight,

They are not afraid to die because they have nothing to live for. Alot of them would rather die a hero and one who "died in the name of Jihad" than live to see America prosper. So death does not come into the equation with these characters.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Because, thanks to our troops, most of them are dead.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#38]
QUESTION:
For every member of Al-Qaeda that has been arrested in Italy or Greece or Turkey or England, how many do you think have been grabbed here? We are their primary enemy, so it stands to reason that they would have more cells here than any of the European countries. How many terrorists hiding in this country do you think have simply disappeared with no media fan fare? Most of them are probably here illegaly or on false passports, so who is going to complain is they vanish from their beds in the middle of the night?

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#39]
They're waiting for the new Airbus.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/06/19/paris.airshow.superjumbo/index.html[/url]

CW
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Most of them are probably here illegaly or on false passports, so who is going to complain is they vanish from their beds in the middle of the night?
View Quote

Word.

JMHO [:D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

THEY ALREADY WON!

Mission Accomplished.
View Quote
Be cautious batting around the "TAW!" declaration.
It seems to me, outside of a very small percentage of the population, the definition of 'letting them win' includes [i]doing something to prepare for anything[/i].
If you go out and buy cold weather gear and nonperishable food, you let the terrorists win.
If you have a medical kit and a fire extinguisher, the terrorists will have won.
If you have so much as looked around and realized how unprepared you are for a minor or major event, the terrorists will have won.
If you ever reflected on how ridiculous the statement "That won't happen here" really is, the terrorists will have won.
Do I wonder when the next attack will come?  Yes.  If you don't wonder EVER, you purposely are in denial, or are simply unrealistic.  "Hoping" something happens to help you out of a deadly or dangerous situation, or somebody comes along to help you, is nearly begging for failure.  Am I more prepared than I was on 11Sept2001?  Yes, I sure am.
Yes, the attacks put my butt in gear, so I am continually trying to learn to adapt amd improvise.
Does my change in behavior mean the terrorists won?  Most people would tell you 'yes'.  And that scares me more than the idea of an attack.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Al-Qaeda hasn't struck because they dont need to.  They and Bin Laden are employees of the Bush Crime Family.  Bush has business ties with the Bin Ladens through the Carlyle Group, and Bin Laden was trained by the CIA in Afghanistan.

Bush was warned of 9/11 and new it was coming, but let it happen on purpose so he could fool the people of the United States to invade Afghanistan to build  pipeline for Chevron, and then do a bait-and-switch to invade Saaddam (another fabricated boogeyman) so Cheney and Halliburton could get a piece-o-the-pie with no-bid contracts.  Not to mention, nothing like a nice war to boost defense spending and the stock value of the Carlyle Group's holdings.

Terrorism isn't even a real threat to this country. 3000 people died on 9/11?  So what? 55,000 people die from car  accidents.  What's so special about some bond traders and Pentagon drones that justifies going to war in Afghanistan to bomb women and children who never did anything to hurt us?

Al-Qaeda hasn't attacked because they aren't a threat at all.  But dont be surprised if another big terrorist attack happens, oh say around election time, just perfect for the Bush Crime Family to strike fear into the hearts of the American populace and fool them into voting for the Smirking Chimp who stole the election in 2000.

Any more questions?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Al-Qaeda hasn't struck because they dont need to.  They and Bin Laden are employees of the Bush Crime Family.  Bush has business ties with the Bin Ladens through the Carlyle Group, and Bin Laden was trained by the CIA in Afghanistan.

Bush was warned of 9/11 and new it was coming, but let it happen on purpose so he could fool the people of the United States to invade Afghanistan to build  pipeline for Chevron, and then do a bait-and-switch to invade Saaddam (another fabricated boogeyman) so Cheney and Halliburton could get a piece-o-the-pie with no-bid contracts.  Not to mention, nothing like a nice war to boost defense spending and the stock value of the Carlyle Group's holdings.

Terrorism isn't even a real threat to this country. 3000 people died on 9/11?  So what? 55,000 people die from car  accidents.  What's so special about some bond traders and Pentagon drones that justifies going to war in Afghanistan to bomb women and children who never did anything to hurt us?

Al-Qaeda hasn't attacked because they aren't a threat at all.  But dont be surprised if another big terrorist attack happens, oh say around election time, just perfect for the Bush Crime Family to strike fear into the hearts of the American populace and fool them into voting for the Smirking Chimp who stole the election in 2000.

Any more questions?
View Quote

Where's the  [;D] smilie?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Any more questions?
View Quote
Good one.  You had me going right up until 'Smirking Chimp'.
That's either a direct post, or excerpts from several posts, right off of the Darkside.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any more questions?
View Quote
Good one.  You had me going right up until 'Smirking Chimp'.
That's either a direct post, or excerpts from several posts, right off of the Darkside.
View Quote

Millions of people believe this, more or less verbatim. This is just the Michael Moore treatment.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Any more questions?
View Quote

all sarcasm aside, the 9/11 bombing was a financial blow to this country.   Just look at the airline industry.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Any more questions?
View Quote

[whacko]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pffft .. yeah- that's it....:rollseyes:
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THEY ALREADY WON!

View Quote

At least you are.

View Quote

Ok, read all of the posts above my first one.

THEN tell me we aren't "Thinking Of/Fear Of/Worrying About" The Next Attack.
View Quote

I know I am not.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Pffft .. yeah- that's it....:rollseyes:
View Quote

He's right. You're wrong.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top