BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2003 9:17:06 PM EDT
www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/page1/2309692

Dec. 20, 2003, 12:07AM

Mounted `Rangers' set up to patrol Intercontinental

By BILL HENSEL JR.
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The Old West phrase "riding the fenceline" is taking on a whole new meaning when it comes to security at Houston's largest airport.

The Houston Airport System on Friday announced the formation of a mounted security patrol made up of volunteers, including off-duty law enforcement officers.

In return for keeping an eye out for bad guys, equestrians will have a new place to ride -- along trails being created around the perimeter of George Bush Intercontinental Airport.

The mounted patrols will be called "Airport Rangers."

They won't be paid, but finding new trails is a big plus these days as urbanization spreads outward.

The fact the new program is steeped in Texas history probably won't hurt, either.

The idea was the brainchild of Airport Director Rick Vacar, a longtime horseman. He noted that the airport contains some 11,000 total acres to keep an eye on.

With threats such as terrorists toting shoulder-launched surface-to-air missiles looming large in the minds of airport managers since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Vacar said the mere presence of the mounted trail riders likely will act as a deterrent to outlaws.

No other airports in the country have similar programs, according to Houston airport officials, who expect that success in this program could spawn similar programs in other parts of the country.

The program is not just open to anybody who happens to have a horse, said Mark Mancuso, head of security for the airports.

Background checks will be conducted of all participants before photo identification airport badges are issued for access to remote airport property.

The riders must be equipped with cell phones, so they will be able to call for law enforcement if they spot suspicious activity. The trails are well-marked to give them points of reference, Mancuso said.

Airport officials said the cost of installing the trails should be minimal. A forester who already works with the airport and other employees will provide the necessary trail maintenance.

"This is a win-win situation," Vacar said. "Local horsemen and women have a pristine location to ride, and the airport has extra eyes and ears in areas that most security patrols cannot easily access."

The airport director made the announcement from the saddle of his horse, Lad.

A study was launched earlier this year by Houston airport officials to look at every aspect of security in the airport system.

"So much focus is centered on the terminals and baggage, we wanted to make sure all areas of airport security are covered," Mancuso said.

Airport officials approached the local equestrian community before proceeding with the project and received an enthusiastic response.

"This is probably one of the better things that has happened to the Houston equine community in a long time," said Jerry Thames, president of the Texas Horse Council. "Without a doubt."

Thames' sentiment was echoed by Les Chow, who owns and operates Aldine Westfield Stables at 19907 Aldine-Westfield.

"I am very supportive," Chow said. "This area has seen a lot of urbanization and the trails were slowly disappearing; but this will bring back quite a bit."

Pam Wiman, a reserve captain with the Harris County Sheriff's Office Mounted Patrol, called the trails put in so far "awesome."

The initial trail is 5.1 miles. Plans call for another five-mile trail to open soon, with the ultimate goal of having 25 miles spanning almost the entire perimeter of the airport.

Along the trails, airport officials are installing watering troughs, portable toilets, trash containers and large granite stones for sitting. Parking for horse trailers also will be provided.

"We kept the trails very rustic," airport system Deputy Director Tom Bartlett said. "But we did add some amenities that include areas for the horses and riders to stop for a break."

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That is outstanding.  Now they should open it for mountain bikers.  [:D]  At least ones that carry.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I wanna be an air[i]port[/i] ranger,
Live the life of guts and danger.

Air[i]port[/i] ranger,
Life of danger.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:25:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I surely hope those Airport Rangers maintain a random patrol schedule.  They are four legged, two headed targets.  Anybody who can cough up a missile launcher can also couch up a pistol to dispatch the airport mountie.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:35:51 AM EDT
[#4]
These guys need to go ride along the border. From that elevated position, they will be much more able to dispatch necessary ammunition at mexicans.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:51:02 AM EDT
[#5]
The airport trails will be mobbed on weekends and cool evenings and wide open the rest of the week.  How do you tell the difference between a ranger and a bad guy - color of their hats?  How's the parking, plenty of room for horse trailers?  Everyone carrying radios, or do you send someone to the nearest deputized airport cop?

This sounds like a project to benefit the airport director.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#6]
So who's gonna follow the horses, if you know what I mean? [puke]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the idea.

I do share AeroE's concerns about making sure there aren't huge block of time with no presence (hot, muggy days).  It would seem that the weekends and cool evening would attract more than enough - and those would be random enough, since nothing would be formally scheduled.

This is a case where the Airport Director knew of a two separate needs (by being involved in the horse community, he knew of theirs as well) and found a creative way to meet both needs at low cost to the taxpayers.

So what if they need to hire people during the day to cover the slow times?  Big deal - they are still saving much dinero compared to doing the paid security thing only.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top