Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 3:02:47 PM EDT
I need to vent...

I just found out Dell cancelled my order 12/16/03 with no notification.  They still haven't notified me of the cancellation.

Online ordered a Plasma Tv on 10/29/03 with a ship date of 11/28/03. 30% coupon so it was 2250 shipped.  Normal cost is 2,700 to 3,000.  Only communication, besides the original confirmation email, is an email on December 1st about the delay.  New estimated ship date is 1/12/04.  If I wish to keep my current order do nothing, and only call if I wish to cancel.  I do nothing.   I found out via avsforum.com that Dell cancelled someones order.  I check the online status and mine is cancelled too.

I have talked to over 20 people at Dell and NOBODY has a clue on why this was cancelled.  They say the Vendor can't supply the displays.  That is wrong, I have called up Electograph and they say mid Jan.  

Dell says they cannot reorder my display because they no longer have that in their catalog for sale.  I can substitute another display.  No thanks, I already have a Panasonic 42" wall mount on my wall.  Besides, the Panny 42 is the best ED display out there IMO.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like EG can supply the displays, but not below what Dell was selling them for. Dell isn't going to sell the display for less than their cost. They must have severely underestimated the demand for the displays at the advertised price, and over-sold them. Kind of a shitty thing to do, really. They should have notified you at the time of the cancellation, in the very least.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
No, Dell is not an honorable company.  Their support sucks donkey parts.  I really dont want to speak to a guy in India whose assigned name for the night is Kevin.  He said if you have further trouble email me.  Dumbas* MF, how am I going to email you if my machine is not working. They dragged this along from a whole year. Once the year was up they said sorry no more shitty support and no more warranty repairs. I will never buy one again unless they are giving them away.  

They fu*ked up and when they realized the mistake they quitely cancelled the order. Any other reasonable company would have honored their ad.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
7, I know your frustration. Dell screwed the pooch on my order 3 years ago on this PC that I am using. I ordered just before Thanksgiving and about 2 weeks before Christmas, no PC. This was high end then. I called and told them it was gonna be one disappointed child come Christmas without this PC here. They fixed the order (their FU), upgraded the processor and shipping to 2nd day (for free) an it got here before Christmas.

I hope things work out for you.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
OK so say something good about Gateway or HP/Compaq [lol]

I own over 250 Dells at last count plus about 45 more of their servers ...
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I use Dell and HP's
Never had a problem, first computer was a Gateway, had no idea  what I was doing, nether did the tech's on the phones.
After I educated myself, it all went a lot easier. Most the problems are not the computer, it is the owners lack of computer skills.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I own over 250 Dells at last count plus about 45 more of their servers ...
View Quote

Can I have just one?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#7]
i remember a few months ago, a gunsmith that had the word tactical and gun in his business name ordered a few computers and they cancelled it because of those two words. they didnt even notify him of the cancel.

it was either dell or gateway.
but i am pretty sure it was dell....just not 100%
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i remember a few months ago, a gunsmith that had the word tactical and gun in his business name ordered a few computers and they cancelled it because of those two words. they didnt even notify him of the cancel.

it was either dell or gateway.
but i am pretty sure it was dell....just not 100%
View Quote

It was Dell

[url]http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0302/0302dell.htm[/url]

Dell fiasco shows growth of gun rights community

By Dr. Michael S. Brown
web posted March 4, 2002

Dell Computer Corporation has been riding high lately with an advertising campaign based on the slogan: "Dude, get a Dell!" Last week, Dell stumbled into a confrontation with American gun rights activists that illustrates interesting changes in the nature of that community.

Millions of politically active gun owners are now linked via a sprawling and unorganized network of web sites and email distribution lists. Valid information and rumors both propagate at light speed. On February 26th, an email spread through the network like wildfire.

Jack Weigand is a highly respected Pennsylvania gunsmith and President of the American Pistolsmiths Guild. He sent out a message describing his unpleasant encounter with Dell. He reported that Dell cancelled his order for a laptop computer, because the name of his business, Weigand Combat Handguns, suggested that he might be planning to use the computer for criminal purposes. They also rudely neglected to inform him of the cancellation.

Stories like this are a serious hot-button issue for gun owners, who are sick and tired of being demonized for the last couple of decades. Connectivity, computer skills and hard feelings are a potent combination. Within hours, Dell was inundated with hostile emails and phone calls.

Dell's damage control team moved quickly. An apology from Dell was forthcoming on February 28th, but not before angry net-gunnies were further incensed by the discovery that Dell was listed on an obscure web site that allows Dell customers to donate a portion of their payment to Handgun Control Inc.

Dell's rather lame apology claimed that their cancellation of Mr. Weigand's laptop order was a misunderstanding motivated by their desire to comply with federal export laws designed to keep high technology from falling into the hands of terrorists. They offered Weigand a free computer, which he respectfully declined.

There is no way to know how much this fiasco cost Dell, but it has provided an unexpected windfall for a flamboyant computer retailer in Utah. Dell Shanze, owner of Totally Awesome Computers (totallyawesome.com) received plenty of free publicity when his gun-owning customers posted their praise of his pro-gun policies. Millions of gun owners now know that Dell Shanze, affectionately and ironically known as "SUPERDELL," encourages his employees to carry their lawfully owned handguns on the job in his nine retail stores.

In an email interview, Shanze recounted his background on gun matters. It seems that he once bought a shipping and packaging store that had been robbed three times. (No doubt he got it at a good price.) He carried a gun openly on his hip and never had another robbery attempt. Even though he no longer owns that store, it still remains unmolested by criminals.

He explained that his philosophy is based on his own experience: "Good guys with guns are legendary in the minds of bad guys and just a rumor of an armed business owner will prevent the vast majority of any robbery attempts." None of his stores has ever been robbed.

As if this weren't enough to earn the loyalty of computer-savvy gun owners, he also offers $100 off any computer purchase if the customer will bring in their handgun and concealed weapon permit. Out of state purchasers can simply fax their permit. Many gun owners are now saying: "Dude, get a SUPERDELL!"

Corporate managers should take note and avoid repeating past errors. Any sign of prejudice against lawful gun owners now risks a confrontation with millions of net-wired activists.

Dr. Michael S. Brown is an optometrist and member of Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws, www.dsgl.org. His email is [email protected] and he is not affiliated with any company mentioned in this column.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#9]
They "lost" my 19" flat panel last week. Took me 45 mins and about 6-8 different people on the phone to get a simple answer on a particular model of laptop, none of which spoke clear English. Luckily one American lady gave me her ext. number and I finally got in contact with her. Their PC's are excellent but most of their phone agents are intolerable. BTW, they are shipping a replacement monitor overnight and paying for the shipping. They will make up for the mistakes from my experience.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmmmm, could be why I'm sitting here looking at this site on a new HP flat screen monitor.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate companies who cancel orders without notification.

I found out 2 days ago that a company I had ordered a few Christmas gifts from back in November silently cancelled my order after almost a month's waiting of pending.

As far as the shitty, incomprehensible Dell support, [url=http://slashdot.org/articles/03/11/25/1626250.shtml?tid=99]this article[/url] (Fox, through slashdot) claims Dell moved some of their support back to the US. Thank God (I manage a number of Dell & Gateway systems).

Jonathan
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]
My neighbor recently bought a Dell - actually he Bought a Gateway, and then changed his mind, and bought the Dell.  So far no problems except the usual crappy support calls.

Changing the subject just slightly, I notice that rumor has it that Dell has moved some of their support call center(s) back on-shore.  It appears that if the customer complains loudly enough, some companies do listen as Delta Airlines has done the same.

However, IBM is shipping 1000's of programming jobs offshore - I wonder how long that will last.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Dell sucks big time. For about five months now I have been going around with Dell and I am sick dealing with them. I ordered a Dell several months ago from Dell and they could not get it right, mostly because I was talking to a person that could speak English but not understand what I was saying. About two weeks after I got tired of the BS I cancelled my order and wrote several nasty emails and a letter to Dell. Two weeks later I get a call from a Dell manager wanting to make things right and he wants me to reorder from him. The reason he wants to make things right is because I work for some folks that buy allot of computers and I am on an employee purchase program. Like a dumb ass I go ahead and order the Dell after being offered about three hundred dollars of freebies and being assured that my case was not the way Dell did business. Big mistake!! It was not worth the problems I still have. I have had nothing but problems with the Dell and their customer service is very very bad. If you do some research on the net Dell gets slammed for poor costumer service. I have a preferred customer service number and all of the Dell reps that I have talked to are impressed that my customer service number begins with a 6 but they can not get things taken care of. So I have to say DO NOT BUY A DELL!!!!! Dell is going to be getting mine back very soon! I am going to Best buy to get my next computer and then if I have problems I can take it back to the store and talk to someone face to face.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I see this got off to a computer discussion. Why would anyone buy a computer from one of these places? I've been looking at parts online and I can build a computer 1,000 times better than the one I have for half what my wife paid for this one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I see this got off to a computer discussion. Why would anyone buy a computer from one of these places? I've been looking at parts online and I can build a computer 1,000 times better than the one I have for half what my wife paid for this one.
View Quote

Unfortunately, not everyone knows their way around a computer. What you are paying for is the assurance that it is assembled correctly, has the OS installed and service & support later down the line. As the discussion above shows, the user generally does NOT get the support they desire.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#16]
time after time i have warned guys here about buying from DELL. I get slammed by the dell crowd each time. Then this type of thread shows up frequently.

If you want a pc with decent support and resonably decent hardware DELL IS NOT IT!!

mike
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm sure that your folks are not the only ones suffering from people who are unable to delivered the goods.

My children are 15 & 17, and they built their own computer from components bought from Fry's. They got an AMD 2100 processor, 200G of hard disk storage, DVD/CD-R.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
time after time i have warned guys here about buying from DELL. I get slammed by the dell crowd each time. Then this type of thread shows up frequently.

If you want a pc with decent support and resonably decent hardware DELL IS NOT IT!!

mike
View Quote

you are exactly right; anyone who knows anything about computers hates dells...

michael dell is anti-gun and anti-american...  dell is evil...
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Why would anyone buy a computer from one of these places?
View Quote

I did for work so I wouldn't have to put together 24 computers myself.  I just didn't have the time.  In retrospect, it would have taken me less time than it would have to order the Dells, reorder the Dells, get them resent since they sent them COD the first time even after we had already paid, handle missing parts from the shipments, get Windows XP keys from them, get another set of Windows XP keys that actually work, get a third set for a couple of machines that didn't work with the first or second set (aside: we still don't have XP keys that work with SP1 & SP2 is about to come-out), work for months to get two machines replaced that didn't work out of the box, send replacements back since they were older, slower, & banged-up lease turn-ins.  To top it all off, their local service guy (to quote the receptionist) "looks not like the type you'd see in a biker bar.  He looks like the type you'd see the next morning passed-out in his own vomit on the floor of the biker bar."  He is scary.  I always make sure I'm carrying when he comes to visit.  The last visit, he was on a moped so he had to return later with a friend's car to pick-up one of the computers.  Dell is a mess, and even when you threaten to cancel a $40,000 order, they still don't care.z
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#20]
zoom

Dell has no service force of their own. The subcontract pc and server service to National/Local Service companies. If you are not happy with your tech i would suggest letting DELL know about it. That is one thing they actually will respond to. If the guy looks unproffesional or is a complete bonehead they will deal with it with the service provider. WHen IBM was handling their service here i frequently had to deal with customer issues concerning techs.

Call Your dell account rep and let them know you don't want this guy back.

mike
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#21]
About three months ago I got a new computer at work.

The computer itself (a laptop) shipped seperately from the keyboard/mouse/ext. monitor/port replicator.

The keyboard and mouse made it on time. Two weeks later, the computer and keyboard come in. The next day, I call Dell to inquire as to the whereabouts of my monitor, and to pitch a fit over the port replicator, which was exactly what I had patiently explained that I didn't want when it was ordered.

They say "Oh, that model has been discontinued". The next day, I ordered the exact same monitor from another company.

As for the computer itself, it's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#22]
That's why learning to build your own is king:

I can buy very high end parts from reputable manufacturers and assemble the PC for far less money than I can buy Dell's schlocky PC put together from whatever 2$ offbrand crap "Ching Tong Wang Di-Dung's" House of Discount Computer Components and Chop Suey Palace" in HungChow Taiwan has on clearance THIS week.

Dell is a low to mid end PC maker with excellent marketing, nothing more.

A copy of "PC Troubleshooting for Dummies" is cheaper and infinitely more Intelligent than [s]Bagrahm[/s], errr, "Ted" in Calcutta when it comes to support, too.

I only wish it were cost effective to build your own laptop...

SG  
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#23]
DUDE!, Consider yourself lucky that they cancelled your order.

I am still waiting on my rebate check after a year, I have called and argued with them probably 100 times. This company  uses Bait and Switch tactics. Oh Yea, I am also still looking for my free 6 months of internet service.

.......Bunch of rape artists
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top