Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 10:29:04 AM EDT
First time poster here.

Recently my Dad's car was stolen. My Dad Left his keys in his car to run a pizza up to someones apartment. 3 mexican males jumped into his car and drove off, luckily my Dad saw, he instantley phoned the police and ran after them. The apartment complex gate was closed and they could not get out, the police caught the three guys and let them go. The police told my Dad that he could not press charges because "HE" left the keys in the car. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO. ALMOST EVERYONE IS BECOMING A TOUCHY FEELY LEFTIE HYPPIE DEMONRAT cough cough I mean democrat.

Anyways, here is my real question. My Dad is now looking into security when driving, I suggested a nice handgun (like a .357 magnum) But he cannot carry a handgun due to company policies so are there any sites or places where I can find a good deal on pepper spray or stun guns or any of the likes?

(p.s. Im also interested in the special edition AKs)
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:52:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I delivered pizzas while going to school.

All the big chains will fire you just as fast for pepper spray and stun guns as they will for a firearm.

That is the most they can do to you, so carry what ever you feel comfortable with.

They pulled a surprise "safety" inspection on us once, and  sent two people home.  One had a revolver in his glove compartment, and the other had brass knuckles hanging from the rear view mirror.

I din't have anything in my car or my pockets.  It's a good thing they didn't ask me to pull up my shirt.  If I hadn't gotten my CCL just a few days earlier my Berreta Bobcat would have been easy to find.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Rich Davis...owner and founder of Second Chance Body Armor...began his career as a pizza delivery man in Detroit where he shot it out with several robbers one night. He once said that if Wyatt Earp was alive today and looking for "action" he would gravitate towards being a pizza delivery man in inner city Detroit! Ha!

Tell him to get a CCW and carry...or find a different line of work.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:55:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Well lets see whats more important:

Job as pizza delivery guy, my life, Job as pizza delivery guy, my life, Job as pizza delivery guy, my life, Job as pizza delivery guy, my life, Job as pizza delivery guy, my life,hmmmm. I think I will go with my life!

Tell him to get his CCW & some decent training, and a Glock. Carry concealed, it's easy but it will take him some time to get used to it. I carry my big Sig P220 all day everywhere permitted by law, I visit my relatives, hug, go to church etc. No one has ever noticed. Your dad can do the same. So what! if he has to draw a gun to save his ass, he may be unemployeed but he's alive and you still have a dad. I know folks, ER doctors, EMT's, and others where they have a great deal to risk if they get caught as a result of carrying but they do anyway. In the end, you'll survive loosing your job, but DEAD is DEAD!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:11:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for CCW.  You're Dad's life is worth more than a job.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn. That is one fucked up police force you got there. Were the cops Mexicans as well?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quite frankly, your Dad needs to start by rethinking how he does things.

Leaving keys in a car suggests he isn’t (or at least wasn’t) paying attention to what’s going on around him.

Even if he decides to start packing, a firearm isn’t a magic shield that will automatically protect someone by its mere presence.

Also, while not a perfect solution, and admittedly a bit pricey (especially for someone delivering piazzas), body armor is a real good idea.

In truth, the only real solution is to get a different job.

Wish him luck for me – he plain and simply has a dangerous job!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
First of all, I recommend a different job.
Second, body armor
Third CCW license and a quality firearm (not to mention the proper training in its use)
Fourth, given the time of year, I understand why he would leave his car running.  However, he should keep an extra set of keys so that he can still keep the doors locked.  A remote keyless locking system would work as well.  This way, he can secure the vehicle while allowing the motor to keep running for the purpose of heat and air.  Driving a semi, I keep 2 sets of keys.  One for the ignition which does not get shut off until I get back home, and one for the doors so that I can secure the truck when not in it.  I also keep a handgun handy but do not wear body armor.    But, then again, I am not delivering pizza to not nice neighborhoods.

Edited to add:

Also, file a complaint against the officers/department.  Breaking and entering and theft have nothing to do with whether or not a vehicle/building is locked.  Saying that these guys did not steal his car because the motor was running is like saying some one can come into your yard and take your bike/potted plants/decor or anything else because it wasn't locked up inside the house or nailed down.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Trying to get a car theft rap stick when the victim left the keys in the car and it running is almost impossible.  In other words all the cops did was keep some Defense Lawyer from making some money, Dad from having an embarassing day in court, and a lot of paperwork on a bust that realistically was not going anywhere.

Even in a perfect world the analogy to B&E is flawed.  In this situation it is ludicrous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top