Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2001 9:43:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The CZ52 is a good gun for the money, but IMHO it is too big to comfortably carry concealed.  Check out www.makarov.com.  There are people there who know more about the CZ52 than I ever will.  The round supposedly will penetrate both panels and the shock plate on a level IIA vest.  That's something for the mall ninja to think about!  I think you can get one in good condition for $109 right now.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]
As was stated above, there's nothing wrong with the CZ-52, it is a fine handgun,it does however,have a weakness, and that is the firing pin,factory pins ARE brittle and can be broke easily by dry-firing them, and as was stated above go to the makarov site and you can get a unbreakable one there, they're not too hard to change out, they've got how-to instructions there too,I'd think about a Makrov as a carry pistol, they are easily concealable,reliable, very accurate,firing pins don't break, and most have really decent triggers, and bulgarian mak's are going for about $100.00.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the CZ far far better than the Mak. The mak as a straight blowback gun is much less pleasant to shoot. The CZ is actually a bit thinner, if quite a bit longer than the Mak.

Part of the reason that CZs get so many firing pin breakages is that people do not realize that that pistol, made in 1952, has a hammer dropping decocker! It's true. Push the safety lever down to fire, up to safe and up a tad more to drop hammer without striking the pin.

Super cool, I just completely restored one and installed the Hogue exotic hardwood grips. An old Cold War veteran turned into a veritable "object d'art".

Send me an email for a pic. D.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The pistol is a matter of choice.  I suggest that 7.62 X 25 is a poor choice.  It is essentially a hot .30 Mauser, already hot by itself.  It would be great for penetrating body armor,  and wiil overpenetrate soft tissue like crazy.  It was far more useful as a subgun round, essentially the same as a .30 Carbine.  IMO the Mak is a better deal, in a more effective (although still marginal) caliber.  If the minimal recoil of a .380 bothers you, you need to practice more.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't carry any FMJ. Or does someone make a HP 7.62x25 now?
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Sierra makes an 85gr soft point and just recently Hornady released a 90gr XTP.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
You can have Accurate Arms fax you some reloading data for their #9 powder that shows 1972 feet per second for the 85 grain Sierra softpoint.

If you are going to overpenetrate you may as well go overboard.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Sierra makes an 85gr soft point and just recently Hornady released a 90gr XTP.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#9]
The biggest problem I had with one was finding reliable ammo. Also the mag floorplates had a bad habit of popping out unexpectedly from time to time.
I mean no offence, but why would you want to think "cheap" on something your life might someday depend on?
Having said that, they are "fun" guns to play with, al the same.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, if you insist on the CZ,one thing you can do to improve the feel of it a bit without spending a lot of money,I put a houge hand-all on the one I used to have, really improved the feel of the gun, took all of the play out of grips ,I could feel them shift around a bit when shooting it,And this cost about $9.00,
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top