Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2003 7:02:48 AM EDT

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I appreciate the sentiment, but ...

§176. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
[red](g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature. [/red]
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
[blue] I seem to recall the WTC flag being carried flat at the winter Olympics [/blue]

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

[blue] Have you seen ads around Labor Day, Memorial Day and Independance day?[/blue]

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

[blue] Again...most olympic uniforms, and teams representing the USA (in international competitions) are violating this.[/blue]

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

[blue] See above statement about the Olympics[/blue]
View Quote

Yes I know proper display for the flag, and proper respect for the flag. I even called it to the carpet after 9-11 when one of Johnny Reno's pics of the day showed a woman wrapped in the flag watching the WTC rescue/recovery operations. I was told that ..."it was okay, she was taking comfort in the flag"...

Flame me if you want, but I choose to remember those who died this way.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
What about the other 20 states?

I'm going to have to side with Benz on this one, while it is supposed to be a rememberance, it is a tad inappropriate.

A US flag has 50 stars, each state (even PRK) should be represented by a star.

There has got to be a 'Made In China' sticker on it somewhere.... honestly, where was it made?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#4]
"Everyone else does it!!!"
[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes I know proper display for the flag, and proper respect for the flag. I even called it to the carpet after 9-11 when one of Johnny Reno's pics of the day showed a woman wrapped in the flag watching the WTC rescue/recovery operations. I was told that ..."it was okay, she was taking comfort in the flag"...

Flame me if you want, but I choose to remember those who died this way.
View Quote
[b]Stony-Point[/b]:
I beg your pardon. My post was not intended as a flame to you. As I opend with previously, I do appreciate the sentiment, and the rendition is actually quite striking. However, I feel that such examples only serve to demonstrate the laxity with which many people treat the flag.

With respect to the horizontal carrying of enormous flags, this really bugs me. The subject flags are so large that they seem to be almost self-mocking, and in my opinion are generally inappropriate.

With respect to the use of the flag in advertising, I find this to be wholly objectionable. If one wants to demonstrate one's patriotism, one should do so with proper respect to the flag. [i]Most[/i]  people are completely ignorant of proper flag ettiquette. Please know that I do not count you among them, [b]Stoney-Point[/b].

With respect to the appearance of the American flag on the uniforms of Olympic athletes, my opinion is that those atheletes are representing the United States and are entitled to wear the flag in competition.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Dude...sorry I snapped at you.

Yeah seeing what has become of the respect, or lack thereof, towards the flag bugs me as well.

I was on colrguard for the entire 8th grade year in school. I was a cub scout, and a boy scout. I Raised and lowered, and folded that flag every M-F for one year.

I was pleased with this flag, which I bought from a fire department as a fundraiser, more as a keepsake...I will never fly it on a pole in public. Just on my office/ cubicle wall, or at home.

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#7]
They are being sold by fire dept's here in Columbus, too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dude...sorry I snapped at you.
View Quote
No apology necessary whatsoever. We're merely discussing this issue as adults.

I was pleased with this flag, which I bought from a fire department as a fundraiser, more as a keepsake...I will never fly it on a pole in public. Just on my office/ cubicle wall, or at home.
View Quote

Well, I guess that's the distinction regarding the particular article shown. It's not so much a "flag" in the strict sense, but more of an ornamental decoration. As I said before, I think the thing does make a very striking display, actually.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#9]

There has got to be a 'Made In China' sticker on it somewhere.... honestly, where was it made?
View Quote

[url]http://www.ederflag.com/[/url]
Right here in WISCONSIN!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm going to have to side with Benz on this one, while it is supposed to be a rememberance, it is a tad inappropriate.

A US flag has 50 stars, each state [red](even PRK)[/red] should be represented by a star.

View Quote

Thanks, I feel soooo loved...

CW
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#11]
very sad, some people and/or organizations are exploiting 9/11 AND there is a FLAG manufacturer behind it all.

I was proud to be an American before it was popular, then not, then popular again, then not ....................[rolleyes] stupid ass wannabe's
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
very sad, some people and/or organizations are exploiting 9/11 AND there is a FLAG manufacturer behind it all.

I was proud to be an American before it was popular, then not, then popular again, then not ....................[rolleyes] stupid ass wannabe's
View Quote
Somewhere, maybe The Onion, I saw parody stickers that read, "[size=4]Proud to be an American[/size=4] ... [size=1](Since 9-11-01)[/size=1]." Ain't that the truth? On one hand, I'm glad that people have "discovered" patriotism since 9-11-01, but what of those of us who have lived that way all our lives?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I appreciate the sentiment, but ...

§176. Respect for flag
View Quote
View Quote

I don't believe that 4 USC § 8 (which supplanted 36 USC § 176) applies in this instance.  Since the banner in question was manufactured with the New York skyline (rather than the picture being applied to an existing flag) and only thirty stars on it, it is not, strictly speaking, an American flag.  It is a banner.  While you may argue that it is in poor taste, it does not violate the law.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Stoney-point's account on villagephotos is overdrawn. Somebody wanna post a copy of the pic so I can see what all the buzz is about?

Thx.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#15]

[url=www.flagsoncars.com/detail.asp?product_id=911embflag]9-11 Flag[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't see anything wrong with that. I might have to get one for myself as a Christmas gift. I've been [i]extra[/i] good this year.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Stoney-Point

hey did you check the wi fourm to see we are having a small shoot tomorro at bristol range?
check it out and come on down if ya can..il be there bout 10 tomorro am.
tat
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Stoney-Point

hey did you check the wi fourm to see we are having a small shoot tomorro at bristol range?
check it out and come on down if ya can..il be there bout 10 tomorro am.
tat
View Quote

Ahhhh...Shit. I am working today. I wish I could be there instead of here. Deadlines and all, y'know.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:50:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A US flag has 50 stars, each state [red](even PRK)[/red] should be represented by a star.

View Quote

Thanks, I feel soooo loved...

CW
View Quote

That would be a [red]RED STAR[/red], wouldn't it? [;D]

Also, Nimrod1193 said:
I don't believe that 4 USC § 8 (which supplanted 36 USC § 176) applies in this instance. Since the banner in question was manufactured with the New York skyline (rather than the picture being applied to an existing flag) and only thirty stars on it, [red]it is not, strictly speaking, an American flag. It is a banner[/red]. While you may argue that it is in poor taste, it does not violate the law.  
View Quote

That sounds correct.
A literal translation of the etiquette will help alleviate some of the confusion.
An ad in the paper is not a real flag.
A HUGE flag is not a mockery.  When such a large flag is carried horizontally out of  neccessity by so many people, it is usually being viewed from above by a crowd, where it would appear to be 'flying' correctly.
That's how I would interpret some of these misgivings.
Anyway, I appreciate the rendition you've got there Stoney-Point.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top