Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2003 6:21:36 AM EDT
I've always been a believer that if you want to wear a uniform you earn it.  Nothing ticks me off like seeing a grungy teenager strolling through the mall wearing BDUs and boots from the surplus store, thinking it makes him look manly.

From some articles I've read, it seems that MARPAT is just about the best camo out there.  That makes me want to get a set for field use, but then I anticipate the question, "Were you a Marine?"  

"Well, no, but I am retired Air Force."

In trying to equip with the best, would this be a major tactical fashion faux pas?  I have woodland pattern BDUs, but if something works better...
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It isn't MARPAT.  When you buy it, it becomes AFPAT.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:32:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
... but if something works better...
View Quote

Then buy it.  

CHRIS
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Among the preditor hunters I know, the general consensus id ASAT 3D is the best.  Its a cross between reg camo and a ghilli suit.

http://www.asatcamo.com/
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Tactical Gear Command sells them without the EGA in them, so I believe it would then be kosher.

[url]http://www.tacticalgearcommand.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TGCOS&Category_Code=03CL-D[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#5]
The stink is the embedded EGA (Eagle Globe Anchor).  

You cannot see this from a distance of greater than a couple feet.

There is now clothing called simply "Digital Camo", which looks the same, but without the embedded emblem.

There is also CADPAT (The Canadian's Original concept, from the Fractal Mandelbrot set), which has a Maple leaf embedded into the pattern.

It is Camo.  It is effective (scale indepedent), a rose by any other name....

Now that I covered that, let me touch on the punks in the mall.  Why would you wear BDU's to the damn mall?  If you aren't involved in an activity that would require camo, or just wanna "look neat" at the range, that is fine.  But at the mall?

Did they have the matching rag on their head?  Sorry, but I really hate the gangsta types that ...
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I just looked at the bottom of the ordering page. For some reason it's available to LE only.

Seems stupid.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Marpat Marpat Marpat....

How about this, I never served in the military and if I feel like it I'll wear any damn thing I want to.

Currently, I prefer the olive drab Polo with tan Carhartts and Blundstone boots as my favorite cammo uniform.  They never see me comming.

-HS
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:42:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Cover the EGA on the left breast pocket, that would indicate you are a Marine, Mine all have removable velcro American flags on the pocket where the EGA was, and yes the pocket is usable.  The Marines came up w/ an awesome pattern.  Your choice to wear it means you have good sense.

The only objection I could foresee is the EGA issue, w/o that the USMC in the pattern is just a copyright/TM issue and not a poser issue.

BTW my GF looks great in hers.

/S2
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Pics?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I have some that I wear in the woods, and it was given to me by  friends who are Marines who think it's about stupid that anyone would care if I or anyone else wear it. I wasn't crazy about the EGA on the shirt pocket, so we removed it and put a plain piece of MARPAT cloth there. The EGA's in the pattern are so damn small that most people miss them completely. No one has EVER mistaken me for a Marine. Hell, most people don't evn know what it is, just that it "ain't RealTree". Thank God. I do prefer camo that works.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again:

Wearing MARPAT no more makes you a Marine or doesn't than wearing that Packers jersey makes you Brett Favre.

It's a silly, silly argument,  and those that get the ass about you or I wearng the pixellated superpants simply come across as juvenile and petty.

If you like it and it's functional for you, wear it. Hell,  you paid for it.

OTOH, wearing MARPAT or any othe camo anywhere but in the woods or at the range is pretty damn silly as well.

SG

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've always been a believer that if you want to wear a uniform you earn it.  .
View Quote

I DON'T wear a uniform, because I didn't earn it.

I DO wear BDU's, because I like them.

What's the problem?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm, the MARPAT i have only has the EGA in one place, thats on the front of the boonie hat I got, it's emroidered and I don't feel like taking the time to take it off. I can't even find it embedded in the pattern anywhere on the jacket or pants. But I don't believe that I got "real" MARPAT but who knows I don't really care since i wear it tree rat hunting or when I'm going to get sloppy dirty at the range.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#13]
When I ETS'd my BDU's went in my duffle and were put away with the rest of my gear. When my son was old enough to ask about military service I got them out to show him. He thought they looked cool so I let him have them.

He used them to play soldier for a few years and when he had grown into them, he started wearing the trousers to school and using the jackets in cool weather. He wasn't impersonating a soldier. He was making a typical (albeit crappy) teenage fashion statement.

The novelty wore off long before he was old enough for anyone to mistake him for a soldier. Now they're back in my duffel waiting for the day a grandson will (hopefully) come and play with them.

I'm less worried about a 'civilian' wearing issue items than I am about the Marine Corps introducing designer uniforms. I guess what they wear is up to the Commandant but I always respected the clean, professional look of their uniforms. I never thought I would see the day that a soldier or Marine would be concerned with making a 'fashion statement'.

I see this MARPAT business as indicative of the same nonsense that prompted the Army to start putting berets on everyone. It's another gimmick to get folks to sign on the line.

Anyway, to get back on topic, if you want to wear digital camo, I read somewhere that someone is making MARPAT without the EGA.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#14]
And I think I found that company, now if only I could remeber who made the stuff i got.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's some google hits:

This one sez USMC style but I didn't notice any EGAs
[url]http://www.soldiercity.com/product_list.asp?dept=170&last=21[/url]

[url]http://www.armynavysales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=01&Category_Code=BDU[/url]

[url]http://www.calarmy.com/digitalcamo/[/url]

[url]http://www.4starmilitarysurplus.com/atl01930.htm[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top