Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 4:47:00 PM EDT
Hello, I from Lubbock, Tx and I wanted to share a conversation I had with Geico Insurance today concerning gun ownership.

I called Geico Insurance to get a quote on home owners insurance. After answering all their questions about the home and property, they asked me if I owned any guns. "Of course I do," I told them. They requested a list of guns and their value. They asked if I used them for hunting or self-protection. I told them "BOTH!" Geico then asked if I own an "assault weapon." I ask their definition of an assault weapon and they could not give a clear answer. I told them I have a few AR-15s and some AK-47 variants, all legal semi-auto weapons. The Geico sales lady put me on hold for 5 minutes and when she came back she told me they could not offer me insurance. They told me I am a liablity because I own an "assault weapon" and I use guns in self defense. Her name was Lynn Russ and her manager who made the decision is Rea Leach. I later found out that Geico home insurance is Travelers which is own by City Bank.  Of course they blame it on Travelers's restrictions.

What do you think about that my friends? I know City Bank is a strong supporter in the Anti-Gun movement. If you are with Geico it is time you find your self another insurance company!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
GEICO = [red]G[/red]overnment [red]E[/red]mployees [red]I[/red]nsurance [red]CO[/red]mpany

Here's your sign...
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#2]
my insurance company MICHIGAN MILLER did the excact same thing to me. i went with them because the said: "SURE WE'LL SCHEDULE YOUR FIREARMS".

they wanted a detailed inventory, so i spent a good week compiling info & photographs per their request. had everything very organized & made them a sweet book of my toys.

turns out they flat out refused me because of my scary rifles. i tried to talk to them and reason, but they weren't havin it. it came up that i'm a LEO, their tune changed.

this time I WASN'T HAVIN ANY OF IT!!

i explained to them that my being in LE didn't mean diddly squat in regards to the guns, and that they were available legally to any law abiding citizen.

they refused to insure my toys after saying they would.

my advice; use NRA's insurance program.

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody know anything about Safeco? Thats my carrier,
I know State farm is Anti-gun, And I dropped them. I save quite a bit more now too, AND know my insurance Co. isn't Anti.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#4]
State Farm just asked us for the value not a list or what kind of firearms.

This was an extra rider because my guns and wife's jewelry was higher than the basic policy.

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
State Farm just asked us for the value not a list or what kind of firearms.

This was an extra rider because my guns and wife's jewelry was higher than the basic policy.

View Quote
                                                                                        Some time ago I attempted to insure my "collection"with State Farm.I was told that a complete invintory along with copies of all purchase receipts and photographs of all items was the first requirement.State Farm would not insure any title II items and the rate quoted was somthing like $100.00 per year for $1000.00 of value.Or,10% of cost,per year.I didn't buy the additional coverage and was shortly thereafter cancelled by State Farm."Too high a risk I was told.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#6]
for you military folks... USAA.

I've had good luck with them. They will even offer floater policies on your more pricely firearms. all at a very reasonable price.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys, NRA will take good care of you and your guns. When I had guns stolen, I sent them a fax of the police report and my reciepts, and three weeks later they sent me a check. That's it. I love my NRA insurance policy. FUCK Geico and state farm. USAA baby!  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#8]
my home owners is thru Travelers and i asked about additional coverage my guns also.
They made no mention what so ever about assault weapons, the agent just gave me the quote for extra coverage and that was it.
no hassles  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I use USAA. They said "You wanna insure HOW MUCH for guns?"

Hee Hee!

I actually need to increase my firearm rider, but I have been avoiding it because once you go to a certain level, they require details on each firearm. Ah, paranoia is such a sweet beast...
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I have Allstate, before going to Gunstock I wanted to make sure my preban M4 was adequately covered.  Turns out I needed a ryder since that puppy all pimped out is worth more than $3,000 easy.  So I got an appraisal from the shop and I faxed it in.  30 minutes later it was covered, no problem.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread has been a good reminder.

I am currently paying for a rider through USAA - but I am sure I am going to need an increase by now.  Damn things keep reproducing or something.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:41:36 AM EDT
[#12]
My homeowners is through Farmers. My agent never batted an eye when I mentioned firearms.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This thread has been a good reminder.

I am currently paying for a rider through USAA - but I am sure I am going to need an increase by now.  Damn things keep reproducing or something.
View Quote

USAA rocks!
They've never asked me anything about the the types of guns I own or their intended use.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#14]
But I didnt request a rider for my guns.  They said they ask everyone the same gun questions and they denied me any insurance through them because I answered "yes" to the assualt weapon question!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#15]
My insurance wound up being 2000 lbs of hardened steel lined with ceramic fireproof material. I do not want replacement value I want my stuff.
My .02 cents.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I know City Bank is a strong supporter in the Anti-Gun movement.
View Quote

Do you mean Citibank????

Cause I have two Citibank credit cards and I want to make sure before I cancel.
[url]http://www.citibank.com/us/index.htm[/url]

Citibank is owned by Citigroup.  The only gun thing I can find is that they accept a state or federal gun permit as identification for a bank loan.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#17]
the plain fact is guns are a liability, plain and simple. It costs them money in claims. It shitty I know but theres nothing you can do except boycott. But also the plain fact is when ANYONE who is'nt a friend or a LEO with proper authority asks you about gun ownership weather it's insurance or a doctor or whoever, either LIE or tell them you own a small .22 single shot for hunting snakes and such. Such is the world we live in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
the plain fact is guns are a liability, plain and simple. It costs them money in claims. It shitty I know but theres nothing you can do except boycott. But also the plain fact is when ANYONE who is'nt a friend or a LEO with proper authority asks you about gun ownership weather it's insurance or a doctor or whoever, either LIE or tell them you own a small .22 single shot for hunting snakes and such. Such is the world we live in.
View Quote

Ummm, yeah.  Then when you have a fire and find out your safe wasn't as fireproof as you thought, or you kinda left it open, and all was stolen, they will kindly replace your $25,000 collection with a sligthly rusted .22

If they won't insure you knowing The Proper Facts, find another company, otherwise, you are just paying to lose more.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My insurance wound up being 2000 lbs of hardened steel lined with ceramic fireproof material. I do not want replacement value I want my stuff.
My .02 cents.
View Quote

Ditto, I used to carry a "rider" on my policy for extra guns and jewelry above what was normally covered by our home owners insurance. This year I called my insurance agent and asked how much the rider was compared to the rest of our normal coverage. When I heard what it had gone up too since we first took it out, I told them to cancel the rider. They sent me a refund check for the unused portion and I took the check down to AG English and bought a HUGE gun safe.

The way I figure it, the safe will pay itself off in 4 years or less ($2k)
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#20]
State Farm refused to insure my condo or offer me a rider on my guns.

Allstate gave me a rider with only a simple list of the guns. I did not list the serial #s on the copy I gave them.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I use Nationwide in FL.

I added a $10,000 rider to my policy...no questions asked.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I have state farm.  They said "no problem" on my guns, and did not ask for anything specific.  They said they would be covered under my normal renters insurance policy, up to the maximum of the policy.  If their value was more than the policy, then I should consider bumping up my policy or getting a specific rider.....  but I didnt.  So if they are gone, my standard policy will cover any stolen/damaged property, and the weapons are included in that.  I did not have to show them any listing of the weapons, photos, nothing.  Just a declared value of the guns.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have state farm.  They said "no problem" on my guns, and did not ask for anything specific.  They said they would be covered under my normal renters insurance policy, up to the maximum of the policy.  If their value was more than the policy, then I should consider bumping up my policy or getting a specific rider.....  but I didnt.  So if they are gone, my standard policy will cover any stolen/damaged property, and the weapons are included in that.  I did not have to show them any listing of the weapons, photos, nothing.  Just a declared value of the guns.
View Quote

That is about the extent of my conversations with my State Farm agent.
Just a declared value on the guns, jewelry etc.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes Citibank, sorry no spell check :(  If I'm correct I think Citibank is the one who built that big ass revolver statue with the barrel twisted up with the saying "Stop the Violence".    
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Bottom line, I wouldn't consider an insurance company to be anti-gun for not wanting to underwrite policies for gun owners.  Inusrance companies are the most bottom line, doolar is the determiner, business out there.  They have a computer model that no doubt shows a corralation of of assault weapons and firearms to claims - probably for theft.  The bottom line is there is probably too great of a financial exposure, nothing more.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Bottom line, I wouldn't consider an insurance company to be anti-gun for not wanting to underwrite policies for gun owners.  Inusrance companies are the most bottom line, doolar is the determiner, business out there.  They have a computer model that no doubt shows a corralation of of assault weapons and firearms to claims - probably for theft.  The bottom line is there is probably too great of a financial exposure, nothing more.
View Quote

This is exactly what the Geico rep said to me:
"We can not offer insurance to you because you stated you own an assault weapon and that you use guns for defense.  If you used your assualt weapon to gun someone down on your property, you would be a liablity that Geico can not afford to cover."  So my question was what if I used a "Sporting" arm to gun someone down in self defense.  I asked to remove my firearms from the home owners policy and the Geico rep told me that is not the problem.  The problem is you are an assault weapon owner!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#27]
[b]YEAH!!!!!!

Citibank REPEALED their anti gun stance[/b]

[url]http://www.packing.org/news/article.jsp/842[/url]

Boycoting and bad press works!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I use Farm Bureau.  

My agent is a high-school friend of mine and we hunt on each other's ranch.  He has covered my house, parent's ranch house, all the farm equipment etc.  My Dad has a Class III and a large collection, about three safes worth.  My buddy never batted an eye about the firearms coverage.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:56:42 AM EDT
[#29]
You have a Assault Weapon?....

I only have a couple Sport Utility Rifles...
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:55:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Reek - I sell home and auto insurance, and Travelers is one of my companies I write for.  The GEICO agent is bullshitting you.  Travelers does NOT ask for that information unless you want a rider for coverage past $2000 on firearms.  And they do NOT deny coverage for the types of firearms you have.

Basically what GEICO did was this:  They were fishing for an excuse NOT to write the home insurance since you are in Texas, and they have gotten bitchslapped hard over the past few years due to mold claims.  So they are looking for any way they can to deny coverage - they found it when you were (GASP!) honest with them regarding your collection.

Plus, you may have run afoul of an anti-gunner as well in the process.

You could always give me a call or email me and I can see about getting you a quote without the BS that GEICO fed you.

For those of you with SAFECO - they're pretty cool as well - no problems with them yet that I've seen in writing their policies.

And I used to have USAA (20 years) but Travelers gave me better coverage for $250 less a year on auto and home (they give a 15% multi-policy discount for having both auto and home with them, which USAA does NOT do).  I switched 4 months ago have been VERY happy with them.

In fact, just to let you know how cool Travelers is - after 9/11 they sent their claims adjusters to NYC to pay out claims.  Most of the businesses they insured that had damages did NOT have a Terrorist insurance rider, so Travelers could have declined the payments - they paid anyways in spite of that, which impressed the hell out of me.  

And out of thousands of calls I have incoming from people looking to change their insurance, I've never had a single person call me who was currently with Travelers - that tells me a LOT about how good of a company they are.  When you are with them, you tend to stay with them for a long, long time.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You have a Assault Weapon?....

I only have a couple Sport Utility Rifles...
View Quote

My rifles aren't for sport, they are for Homeland Defense.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Greywolf,

My experience with Travelers was less than "stellar" and I wouldn't use them to insure dog poop!

I had my cars and house insured with Travelers thru a local agent in the 1970s. In 1979 I met with my agent to discuss lowering auto insurance costs (MA is "regulated" so that prices are fixed by the state). With my car parked 15' from the agent's desk he told me that my 1973 Capri was worth ~$1500, so I kept collision and comprehensive (I wouldn't save very much by dropping them). Mid-year the engine catches fire (fire dept determined that gas line ruptured spraying gas on hot engine) as my Wife is driving locally and car is totaled. Travelers sends check for $500! Agent waffles and refuses to fight for my claim.

Travelers takes car from tow yard without notifying me, later auctions off car without notification (and we hadn't settled on the loss) and I still have the Title to this day. Bottom line was I filed a complaint with our AG (but they warned me that the courts could take 4-7 years and I might get another $300-400 for my troubles) and I filed a car theft report with the Registry of Motor Vehicles (for the sale while I still had title and we were negotiating the loss). Each time I found out what happened only when I went to the tow lot and salvage yard respectively to take pictures to help my claim.

I dropped the agent and Travelers immediately and never looked back. I have used AMICA ever since, as they have been great when I had a few claims (the true measure of insurer's quality) and I deal directly with the company.

As for firearms, I've received mixed info on AMICA: casual discussion with an clerk, she mentioned that they don't like insuring gun owners (but she never asked so I never told). Prior gun club secretary was an AMICA employee and said they have no problem with gun owners (and he was never able to track down any info to the contrary as company policy). Also one adjuster (company employee) told me that he was an NRA member when he was checking a claim on my car (I had an NRA "we support our troops" sticker on window) but he told me they probably wouldn't appreciate him if he put an NRA sticker on his company vehicle .

So, for firearms I have NRA insurance (the free part for Life Members) and Collectibles (which is ~1/2 cost of NRA for firearms coverage). A rider on the homeowners is outrageously priced for firearms anyway. My guns are safe queens anyway since I only get out to go shooting on a rare occasion, thus the "not carried or out all the time" provision of Collectibles policy is not a problem according to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top