Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2003 12:09:48 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting a ruger p89 15rd magazine as a christmas present for my uncle.  I dont want to buy a factory.  60$ is way to much to spend on a ruger.  But I also want this magazine to be reliable as this gun is mainly used for home protection.  

I need to know what aftermarket mags are junk, and what ones function.  I was looking at getting a PMI.  Also, any links to where I can purchase a mag would help.  Thanks.

Ben
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#1]
My experience has been that aftermarket mags for the P89 are functionally inferior to the factory 10rd mags. I don't know of any aftermarket mag that is better than another brand. I had to do a lot of manipulation to make the 15rders work consistently, filing feed lips and such

IMO you'd be better off with two or three factory tens and practicing the hell out of tactical reloads.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah wait a year until the ban expires.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Pro-mag 15rndrs are the best aftermarket ones I've had luck with. If the AWB stays or you decide otherwise I'll sell you a factory new one for the P89 @ 45.00 plus actual shipping.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My experience has been that aftermarket mags for the P89 are functionally inferior to the factory mags. I don't know of any aftermarket mag that is better than another brand. I had to do a lot of manipulation to make the 15rders work consistently, filing feed lips and such.
View Quote

Ditto. Spend the money on the factory mags.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never seen Ruger factory mags that high. However, I would suggest Ramline 18-rd flush fit magazines. Smooth feeding. I have two of them. They come in Stainless and Blue. My Blue one is very tight on the 18th round, but the other one is not. I believe CDNN has them in stock (call them if you don't see them online, just to be sure...), a lot cheaper than I paid back in 1995 for mine!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure what junk you guys are buying, but I have never had a problem with an after market mag for my Ruger P89, I even got a 30 rounder out of Cabelas and it works great!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
There was one brand of aftermarket P89 mags that wouldn't fit right, or feed. Some never could be inserted. Took them right back for a refund (we bought MANY). I forget the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.cdnninvestments.com/rugp89mm15bl.html[/url]
View Quote

I second that.  The Mec-Gar mags are the shnitz.  They work great.  I have heard that they make many "factory" mags for several pistol makers, don't know if it's true, but that's what I heard.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There was one brand of aftermarket P89 mags that wouldn't fit right, or feed. Some never could be inserted. Took them right back for a refund (we bought MANY). I forget the manufacturer.
View Quote

Probably USA mags. I have 6 of those and none of them work reliably. Although I heard that if you replace the springs and followers with factory parts, they can be made to work.

I also agree that MecGars are just as good as the factory mags.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies guys, I ended up getting him a factory mag.

-Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top