Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2003 10:11:40 AM EDT
I'm looking hard at the Tippman 98 Custom (likely a package with tank and goggles).  

They are priced around $175 and what I've read they seem like great guns.  

I don't think I need a N2 setup or anything real elaborate.  The idea is to use these for some pseudo-realistic training.  

Well?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Email sent
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a good choice to get started with.  Reliable marker... one complaint is that it can't be upgraded like the spyders.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's a good choice to get started with.  Reliable marker... one complaint is that it can't be upgraded like the spyders.
View Quote

I was also told to look at the Spyders.

I see that the Tippman's do allow for some customizing...are the Spyders better out of the box though?

Not sure I want to do any real customizing besides [i]maybe[/i] adding a CAR style stock to the 98.  

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll want a new barrel A.S.A.P.

It's the single best upgrade you can do for a marker.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Magnum 99,

I own and operate a paintball pro-shop and playing field.  I am also a Smart Parts certified tech and do all of our gun repairs.

The Tippmann 98 Custom is by far the most reliable gun we carry.  While its out-of-the-box performance is not as good as other guns (comparing rate of fire and accuracy), there are many upgrades available to improve its performance.

We have quit stocking Spyders, due to the many repairs they were having.  Any gun we sell is backed by a one year free labor warranty.  I got sick of working on these guns for free, and we actually made more profit by charging people to work on the Spyders that were puchased elsewhere.

As always, this is just my opinion, based on my personal experience.  I think you'll be more satisfied in the long run, if you get the Tippmann.

Also, if possible, upgrade the mask in the package to a thermal lens.

Jon
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree, Ive had less Tippmans come back due to problems than the Spyders. Its a very solid platform, and you can get quite a bit in aftermarket gear for it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
mutter mutter mutter
marker.
[img]http://tubes.ominix.com/art/a/office/marker-red.jpg[/img]

mutter mutter mutter
paintball gun.
[img]http://www.battlefieldadventures.com/images/Tippman_98_custom_gun.jpg[/img]

mutter mutter mutter
stirring the pot is fun...mutter. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with the tippmann. If you want more range go with the flatline upgrade. If you want a higher rate of rire go with the reactive trigger(basically the trigger forcefully resets itself, but since you're still applying pressure it immediately fires again--[i]technically[/i] not full-auto but...).
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
and there you have it....

I started out with a Tippman 98 and was way happy with it.  I then upgraded to an Autococker.  

Dito on the Mask upgrade...  You can't shoot and what you can't see.

Happy hunting,
DG84
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my Tippmann.

Great gun

EDIT: Oh yeah, the flatline is really cool. Gives the most incredible balistics.  I use a cheap .22 scope on mine, and that works real good, and I guess one of those cheap red dot sights like for a BB guns would work good too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#11]
My uncle and I operate a paintball field and have been doing so for over 4 years.  We have seen pretty much every make and model of marker and every upgrade... in the field... with rigorous use... the stuff the markers go through at our field is about the worst a marker can ever see.  

Our primary markers and the primary markers of every player who has played regularly for any amount of time are Tippmann 98 Customs.  They are without a doubt the most reliable marker available.  They have fewer problems than any marker we have seen and used.  You can spend as much as you want on a marker but even the expensive ones break down.  The 98 is easy to break down and repair if anything does go wrong.

As mentioned before, upgrade your Tippmann with a new barrel.  I recommend either the Dye Boomstick or the Armson Stealth (rifled).  Also, a motorized hopper is an excellent upgrade.  There are plenty of upgrades available for the 98 Custom but I would not advise buying ANY OF THEM except a barrel and Revolution hopper.  I have tried every upgrade for a 98 and none of them had a noticable affect on the marker's performance.  Some of them even caused the marker to malfunction.

Good quality paint will also make a big difference.  You will never have acceptable accuracy without decent quality paint.

I recently bought a Tippmann A5 but haven't tried it out on the field.  Just testing it, the marker seems excellent.  I like the way it can be field stripped, the sights, the feel of the grips, the accuracy.  It's the first marker I've ever shot that actually hits where the sights are pointed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#12]
AWESOME info guys.

Thanks VERY much.  

I'm definitely going with the Tippman 98.  

I also noticed that every field I've played (all three of them!) rented Tippman's so I figured that they had to be reliable and durable.  

Now, to find the best deal on one....
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
AWESOME info guys.

Thanks VERY much.  

I'm definitely going with the Tippman 98.  

I also noticed that every field I've played (all three of them!) rented Tippman's so I figured that they had to be reliable and durable.

Now, to find the best deal on one....
View Quote

The prices are pretty much all the same.  You can look on Ebay and might find one for a few bucks cheaper.  Definitely order a barrel for it, you will be disappointed otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a barely used Tippmann M98 I'd sell for cheap with a standard 200rnd hopper and 12 oz tank with buttpad.  All you'd need is a mask.  Let me know if anyone here is interested, not really sure what it's worth.  I only played like 3 times with the thing, then I started getting into Airsoft instead and shelved paintball.  Been sitting around unused ever since...
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:31:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Tippys are nice.  My first game was played with an SMG-60.

Anyway, reliable marker and just about any field has someone that can work on it until you get the hang of it.

Personally I like the A5s.  Some guys I trade paint with have done MP5 lookalike upgrades on theirs, hella cool.

I use the Autococker, but I don't suggest that for a new player.  If you can stop at a store or field and see if they will let you fire off a few rounds.

Either way, enjoy the game!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:52:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Magnum 99,

I own and operate a paintball pro-shop and playing field.  I am also a Smart Parts certified tech and do all of our gun repairs.
View Quote

Heh,

Say hi to Adam and Billy for me! I played with the All Americans II for 4 years. Then I got married... I miss it a little.

- LS
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#17]
if you decide to purchase a flatline barrel  be prepaired. Only premeium grade ultra expensive balls will work with it. Anything else just breaks up in the barrel.

I would suggest purchasing another barrel though. Stock tippy barrels bite.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tippys are nice.  My first game was played with an SMG-60.
View Quote

I had an SMG-68 with a SMG-60 sear. Nice gun. Shouldn't have gotten rid of it.

Anyway, get the Tippman. They are the AK-47 of the paintbatt world. They take a beating and keep going. I have never seen a more reliable brand of paintball gun.

I also recommend a barrel upgrade. Dye barrels rock and the flatline has a good reputation.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:38:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Definately go with the Tippy over the Spyder.  Spyders have always been trouble.

There are two things that are going to make you paintball experience enjoyable.

1. Good mask!  This is the the most important.  If you are going to splurge on anything this is where to do it.  The mask is on your face for your entire outing.  Its its not comfortable or is always fogging your experience will be miserable.  If you sweat allot I recommend getting a goggle fan.  Mine works great when playing in the MTN's in the winter.

2. Get 2-3 barrels all different sizes.  When you get your paint find the barrel that best matches the size of paint you are using.  Most gun failures and broken paint happens because of a bad paint barrel match.  If you are constantly out of the game because your gun is full of paint you're going to get frustrated and the game wont be fun anymore.  I would recommend [url]http://www.lapcodirect.com[/url].  Colin T put allot of research into designing his barrels and have what I and many others believe the best barrel out there.  The insides are smooth as glass.  He offers three barrels.
Big Shot .689 diameter
Autospirit .686 diameter
Microshot .684 diameter
Each barrel runs about $50 but you wont regret it.  If you can only afford 1 right now start with the Bigshot because its better to have a barrel that is to big than to small.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Make me an offer, this beautiful thing is just collecting dust around here.  [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=98&t=189093&w=searchPop]Nova 700[/url]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:36:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Check this Tippmann A-5

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/069730.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Judging by the rabid "Get a Tippmann" syndrome around here most will probably disagree with me but I like Spyders much more than a Tippmann 98.  
Spyders come equipped much better out of the box.  My Spyder Imagine comes stock with a double trigger, x-chamber and electronic firing modes.  My Imagine with a 12v Revvy loader and a J&J Ceramic barrel performs better than any Tippmann 98 package I've seen, and looks a lot better as well.

Now, I'll admit the 98s are rock-solid but Spyders are just as reliable if you maintain it.  It's like comparing an m16 to an ak47.  The AK47 is extremely rugged and reliable while the M16 is a higher performing but higher maintenance weapon.  Also, by the time you upgrade a 98 with a response trigger, double trigger etc... to get it up to Spyder level you could have bought a real paintball marker like an Autococker.

Just my opinion, but if you plan on treating them like shit go with an M98, but if you can maintain a Spyder (if you can maintain a firearm you can maintain a Spyder) I'd recommend a Spyder Imagine.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/viperaudiox/Imagine_Web.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Or you could go this route [:)]
[img]http://www.cheyennepaintball.com/images/guns/scott/angel1.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top