Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 5:56:30 AM EDT
www.bustinside.com/temp/Afghanistan.mpg

Someone please host this video with me, I don't want to use all the bandwidth.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got some video also....  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#2]
i "think" www.imagestation.com will host it...

someone here had a 40mb file video on there once and they shut it down cause it was " offensive ..

try that...

also if im wrong someone  WILL correct me [:D]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump for thread, I have a host.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#4]
"Video of artillery attack on our guys, now with video"

Wow, that sounds almost as good as "New & Improved"[:D]

You might have a future in marketing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#5]
talk about being calm, "ok guys lets pack up the stuff"

So did they fuck the towel heads up after that?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice vid.  I'm trying to figure out which base that is.  I took a couple videos like that near Khowst. The QRF at that base got out the gate quick too, you can hear them on the radio.  Unless they were already going out.  Good shit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Any ideas on what the outcome was? Did we wax 'em? Did they get any of our boys?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#8]
No idea at all.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, that's some video.  I'd be pissing my pants.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Excellent footage, I'd really like to know what happened next.  Anyone else have any amateur video from the battlefield?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Wanted to bump this one up.  I never get tired of watching that video.  What a damn rush that would be.  Any more of these around?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#12]
wow, crazy footage
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Goddamn. Those fucking shells are LOUD!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#14]
So what was that, mortar fire? It looked like they were adjusting fire.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Mortars don't whistle when they're inbound.  Those were most likely rockets......105mm at least.  

A few things to note:

1.  It took 1 round for them to adjust fire onto the base.

2.  It took only 1 minute 41 seconds for counterbattery fire to splash on a target of some kind.  They must have had firefinder radars to nail down a firing position so quickly.

3.  We see the Taliban firing single rounds.....then we see how effective our batteries are.  6 or more on the target (mountain) in just 15 seconds.

I don't think anyone in that base was really pissing their pants.....If I were the taliban I'd be pissing hardcore at the quickness and accuracy of our counter-battery fires.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
BTW, not bad shooting for towelheads....
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Excellent footage, I'd really like to know what happened next.  Anyone else have any amateur video from the battlefield?
View Quote

I have no idea what happened next but I can guess.  About a minute after the first shells hit the counter artillery radar got a fix on the position and started a firing solution.

About a minute after that shells landed on and near the idiots that launched the attack, spreading them all over the rocks.

A fix was taken on the position and a C130 Spectre gunship flew over that night and popped every cave, hole and ditch for a mile and then flew home to some beer.

At least I HOPE that's what happened.....
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I think they had three rounds impact outside the base before they got adjusted onto target--one before the clip started, which was the cue to start filming, then two outside the wire perimiter.

Interesting that they did it during day.

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Damed Taliban/al Quedea don't know squat about fire finder radar.  Too bad.  Steel on target before they could get a fix with their arty.  Its no surprise they snapped like glass rods.

I give them an "E" for effort.  And an "F" for not surrendering in October.

If it were 105 rockets, I suppose the chalklines would have given away the position, no?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's a mirror:  [url]http://oregonstate.edu/~voilsb/media/Afghanistan.mpg[/url]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If it were 105 rockets, I suppose the chalklines would have given away the position, no?
View Quote

Katusha's don't give off smoke when they fire.  I highly doubt they have towed guns.  Definately no SP.  Rate of fire would be higher for mortars.  No sound signature for mortars......

I vote either improvised rocket or Katusha.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damed Taliban/al Quedea don't know squat about fire finder radar.  Too bad.  Steel on target before they could get a fix with their arty.  Its no surprise they snapped like glass rods.

View Quote

Sorry, what I meant was that we had a fire-finder radar in that base or there was a forward ARTY spotter connected to a battery for fire support at that base.  One guy remarks, "they have better eyes than we do" when they start talking about our own fire splashing on that mountainside.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
talk about being calm, "ok guys lets pack up the stuff"
View Quote

That thought would have been passing through my head after the [b]FIRST[/b] round.

Cool video.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Pissing myself gets another vote.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#25]
[wow]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Man those guys were cool as a cucumber. Those were real rounds being shot at them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#27]
awesome vid

I'm sure I'll show it to many people in the next few days.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow that was sweet... Anybody know where to get more video like this?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Mortars don't whistle when they're inbound.  Those were most likely rockets......105mm
View Quote

You are correct.  Well, they're actually 107mm rockets.  That firebase looks like Organ-E out by the Pakistan boarder.  I flew into it a few times....  anyway, The Taliban lean the rocket shells up against sandbags and set a timer.  by the time they go off they're long gone over the Paki boarder.  In the middle of my rotation they started to find "trays" for the rockets.  

When I first got in country I'd hear an explosion and look at a budy with a question mark on my face.  He said "don't worry, you'll know when it's a rocket attack."  Sure enough once we got one it's a sound I'll never forget.  And you sure as hell do know when it's a Rocket attack.

DG84
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't think these were set by a timer though.  They bracketed the target and then the rest went in the compound then stopped shortly after the counter battery.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:23:58 AM EDT
[#31]
tagged
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:56:58 AM EDT
[#32]
That dredged up some distant memories.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Very cool...and very high pucker factor.

So I'm sitting here watching this video and when I heard the second round of incoming fire approaching, I shouted "INCOMING" just on reflex.  One of the scientists down the hall, like me a vet of many moons, a EE PhD and former USMC Force Recon with lots of Vietnam trigger time, came rushing down to my office and told me that he heard the sound, my outburst and was looking for a place to hide under his desk!  We watched the flic and he said it remined him of training missions at 29 Stumps...but it was nothing like a barrage in the triple canopy of the jungle.

I guess he figgered that somebody over on the MCB had let one get away (Our office is in Quantico Town).

We are heavy into the radar gig here at my office (I happen to have a test plan for a type of fire finder radar right here on my desk.)...and we're pretty much convinced that our guys had their FF radars up and operating when the bad guys started firing.  Our response was good.  I suspect that very soon after this video was over, a combined arms team of air assets, arty and grunts went out, found and killed those rats.

Gotta love those grunts.  Pretty cool dudes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#34]
AWESOME.... Thanks for the vid, the guys at work will love this one.

Rob
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Linky no worky.  I get:  

"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later."

Guess I'll just keep trying.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Linky no worky.  I get:  

"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later."

Guess I'll just keep trying.
View Quote

Don't have to...use this one instead:

[url]http://oregonstate.edu/~voilsb/media/Afghanistan.mpg[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#38]
For me later.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got 4 full VHS tapes full of footage I took during OEF.  No idea how to get them on to my computer though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got 4 full VHS tapes full of footage I took during OEF.  No idea how to get them on to my computer though.
View Quote

Shoot me an email. I  shoot and edit video for a living. I'll compress 'em and burn you a cd or DVD.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Shoot me an email. I  shoot and edit video for a living. I'll compress 'em and burn you a cd or DVD.
View Quote

I for one would be willing to pay for it.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I for one would be willing to pay for it.  
View Quote

me too, contact me if it ever gets done
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:12:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Bulldog, SNorman and tivoli410 thanks for the offers. I'm in the process of trying to combine it all into one tape. A lot of it is kind of repetitive, like the daily prescence patrols and the guys just f'in around. If I ever get it done I'll shoot you an email.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Does anyone know how accurate the counter battery radar systems are?  Can they pin point the enemy fire with enough detail that the incoming friendly rounds have any chance of success?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I know the Q36 we used was pretty damn accurate.  Enough to make a FFE effective enough to stop an attack.  They have a problem with really high angle stuff though.  I'm not an expert by any means, so I don't know why.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Near the very end of the video:
"We've obviously been pissin' somebody off these past few days."

May God bless and keep our fighting men and women as they continue their work to eradicate the enemies of freedom everywhere.

I really felt sorry for these guys loading up their vehicle, apparently in the middle of nowhere with no cover at all. Some tough motherfuckers, there, folks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Holy crap!!! Where are there more videos like this on the net?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#48]
WOW!

Talk about staying calm!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top