Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 4:44:40 AM EDT

news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8190385^421,00.html

Dead tourist had 80L of water

December 17, 2003

A BRITISH tourist who died of dehydration left 80 litres of water when he walked away from his bogged vehicle and into the Great Sandy Desert.

Thomas Henry Sykes, 35, of London, died on Friday at a medical clinic in the remote Aboriginal community of Punmu, in Western Australia.

Mr Sykes had been trying to drive hundreds of kilometres east towards Alice Springs when his hired four-wheel drive became bogged.

The vehicle was found on Thursday, but when Mr Sykes was seen near Punmu on Friday morning, after walking 60km in up to 40C, he was unconscious. He died a short time later in Punmu medical clinic.

Mr Sykes' death, and the rescue of a second British tourist at a remote beach north of Broome on the same day, have prompted calls for greater education about the dangers of outback travel.

Sgt David Hornsby, of Marble Bar police, said that if Mr Sykes had observed the golden rule of remote motoring and stayed with his car, he would have survived.

There were 80 litres of water in a tank fitted to the Toyota Hilux that was also equipped with a tent and tinned food.

There were enough supplies in the hired vehicle for Mr Sykes to have survived for more than a week, Sgt Hornsby said.

"What the hire car companies' responsibilities are - that's something I will be looking at as far as the investigation for the coroner goes," he said.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:46:57 AM EDT
[#1]
He didn't have any rocks to pile under the drive tires?  The Outback must be a harsh place, if it is barren of even rocks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
<[i]speechless[/i]>
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:49:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
<[i]speechless[/i]>
View Quote
First time ever.  This is a new record [;D]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]

"What the hire car companies' responsibilities are - that's something I will be looking at as far as the investigation for the coroner goes," he said.

View Quote

Sounds like the company did it right... food, water, supplies.  Ofcourse the rental company will be found responsible for something, we couldn't actually put the blame where it belongs.

Perhaps the rental company should be doing IQ testing before they rent out one of their vehicles... 'sorry, you're just too damn stupid to be trusted'...
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#5]
They forgot the EPRB and Emergency Satellite Phone.

Sad story...

Edit:spelling
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:07:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:21:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess it could have been worse.

He could have carried all of the water with him, and then been unable to open it. Ha!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:32:29 AM EDT
[#8]
[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I guess it could have been worse.

He could have carried all of the water with him, and then been unable to open it. Ha!
View Quote

Aussie-proof caps?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<[i]speechless[/i]>
View Quote
First time ever.  This is a new record [;D]
View Quote

Just doing my part for society...[BD]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#11]
When I first read the topic I thought he must have got a really bad waiter at the steakhouse.
[whacko]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I can see it now...

In addition to the aforementioned provisions, the car rental places will soon have to make everyone sign a waiver, and maintain on file some sort of "proof of training" - that the companies themselves will no doubt have to conduct.  

"Yes, we'd love to rent to you.  First, though, sit in this room and watch our 25 minute presentation on the dangers of the world, and how to react to problems on the road.  Please make sure you sign the logbook when you're done"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top