Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2003 7:23:40 PM EDT
My little brother walked in our sports authority and by no means do we live in a small little town. He wanted to look at paintball guns and buy some yellow plastic bbs for his airsoft gun. He asks for the bbs from behind the shelf and takes them to the counter in the front of the store to pay for them. He is 17 and drove there with a friend. The computer came up asking for an ID check. He showed his driver license thinking it'd be 16 and the guy types in the DOB because he cant count and the computer denies the sale because he isnt 18. The guy says sorry and takes them from him. On the way to the door the guy shouts out " Yeah, but you can buy rifle ammo, theres no ID check" He stopped and said "WHAT?" The guy replies "Yeah, go buy some M16 bullets, just dont come back and shoot us." Ive taken my brother shooting with my SAR1 so he knew what round it shot. He walks back to the same counter and asks for 2 boxes of 7.62*39. The guy goes ok, gets on the overhead and has someone come over. By this time he is gettin nervous. But the guy gets there and the guy behind the counter asks him to take the bullets to the register. He goes up there and pays for the 2 boxes and as the guy said, no ID check so he pays and walks out. He didnt want the ammo, and planned on selling it to me, he just wanted to buy it in spite. As he put it "A politically correct bitch slap." Just thought it should be shared.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Neither does walmart.

I guess either it's the companies policy or a state law they have to check id for handgun ammo but not rifle ammo.  That's why they ask (when I buy 9mm or 40sw) if it's for a handgun.  If you say yes they card you. If you say no they don't.

I've never been carded for ammo except that 1 time at walmart when I caught on. Not at a gunshow or local shop.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
So when are you going back there to shoot them with your M-16 bullets?[:p]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]
[i]"Is the ammunition for a pistol or a rifle"[/i]

YES.

I love that question.  

Good job for your brother.  What idiotic laws/rules we have in this country.

Heck, ammunition doesn't hurt anyone anyway, so what's the problem selling any ammo to anyone?  Without a gun, it's just a box of little brass toys.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to buy real bbs (the 500 round packs of copperhead) when I was kid, even before I could drive

edit due to my typo making a completely different meaning instead of just looking bad (I had sued instead of used)
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#5]
"neither, i collect it" always gives them a befuddled look [:p]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#6]
ahahaahah neither. But seriously, the guy carded him for plastic and knew he wasnt 18, then, 2 minutes later sold him rifle ammo knowing that you had to be 18 to buy it too. But i guess since the system didnt ask for id verification he didnt have to.[slap]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the kids style. Just goes to show you that lawmakers are asleep at the wheel. By the way, what'd little bro charge you for the ammo?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
what is cost. DAMN 40 rounds of winchester in 7.62*39 cost 16 bucks. I had too buy it or it would be thrown out, parents didnt want him with it. Im not one to sit by and watch good ammo go to waste.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#9]
damn that's a rip off
I paid approximately $45 for 500 rounds. granted it was Russian, but still

Quoted:
what is cost. DAMN 40 rounds of winchester in 7.62*39 cost 16 bucks. I had too buy it or it would be thrown out, parents didnt want him with it. Im not one to sit by and watch good ammo go to waste.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#10]
When I buy 9mm, I always say its for a submachine gun. They usually get that scared look on their faces...
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#11]
When they ask if it's for a rifle or pistol I always say "Neither it's for my submachine gun."
They usually just ring up my order and say nothing else, not even thank you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to get my pistol rounds there.  All I needed to do was show my license (which showed I was under 21) then I signed some thing saying I'm not a wife beating felon and I walk out with the ammo.  Of course last time I went in to buy some 7.62x39 ammo and they refused to sell it unless I showed a CCW or hunting permit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"neither, i collect it" always gives them a befuddled look [:p]
View Quote

Does it work?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:01:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Of course last time I went in to buy some 7.62x39 ammo and they refused to sell it unless I showed a CCW or hunting permit.
View Quote

Huh? [>:/]

Even though I have a carry permit, I would have held my ground on that one.  Why the hell would you need to have either just to buy rifle ammo?  I would have said, "Um, I don't hunt, and I'm not planning on carrying my SKS concealed.  I'm going to the range to plink at coke cans."  If they refused to sell after that, I'd inform them that I'd never shop there again, and that I'd do everything I could to convince everyone I know to do likewise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top