Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2003 11:38:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#1]
“It was as it was.”  Whoa – that’s deep.  That guy should be the leader of a religious sect or something.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#2]
[bad taste]Gee, I wonder what kinda review ol, Ronnie Reagan will give it?[/bad taste]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Not everyone liked it...

Bloodthirsty or a classic? Gibson's film of Christ's last days alarms Jewish groups

Star claims Holy Ghost helped him make film but threatens legal action after academics criticise script of The Passion

Gary Younge in New York
Monday August 4, 2003
The Guardian

On the face of it Mel Gibson's new film, The Passion, appears to be little more than a work of celluloid self-indulgence by a Hollywood veteran. Portraying
ADVERTISEMENT
the final 12 hours of the life of Jesus Christ, it has no distributor, features no stars and the dialogue is in Latin and Aramaic. It is not even certain whether the final product will have subtitles.

Yet the film, co-directed by Gibson, who has spent $25m (£15.6m) of his own money on the project, has already attracted lavish praise from evangelicals and stern criticism from Jewish and Catholic scholars, with one academic warning that it could provoke within the US "one of the great crisis in Christian-Jewish relations".

The star has claimed the "Holy Ghost was working through me on this film, and I was just directing traffic. I hope the film has the power to evangelise". But a panel of three Jewish and six Catholic scholars, who have studied a draft script, say the film is anti-semitic and theologically inaccurate, portraying Jews as bloodthirsty and vengeful and reviving the worst traditions of the passion plays which contributed to deadly attacks against Jews over the centuries.

"When we read the screenplay our sense was this wasn't really something you could fix. All the way through, the Jews are portrayed as bloodthirsty," said Sister Mary C Boys, a professor at New York's Union Theological Seminary. "We're really concerned that this could be one of the great crises in Christian-Jewish relations."

The panel was convened by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops with the help of the Jewish advocacy group, the Anti-Defamation League. Gibson responded by accusing the scholars of illegally obtaining stolen property - the draft script - and extortion while threatening court orders and lawsuits.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Gee, its surprising that Eric posted this.

I thought he HATED the pope and catholicism.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Secular film geeks in the US have called it a masterpiece.  I'll see it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I can hardly wait to see it!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Fair 'nuff, I think that Christians of all stripes get a little caught up in legitimate issues of interpretation.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#12]
well said.

"it leaves you wondering about what your part in that agonizing drama...is."

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This particular Pope is probably the finest one that the Roman Church has had in a very long time, as I would imagine most would agree.

Eric The(LapsedCatholic)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Dittos on your props to JPII from an cradle Catholic.  His passing will be a great loss to the Church.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I -- and many others -- have a dual, admiration-disdain thing going with the papacy. I admire him for standing ground on issues where the winds are blowing the other way in a political-correctness situation. And yet, when I hear that he supports the continued regime of a mass murderer (as he did when he felt that we should leave Saddam be), then I disdain him and the horse he rode in on.

At any rate, I'm not Catholic, but most of the Catholics that I know don't exactly hang on every word from the Vatican.

P.S. I am looking forward to the film also. I have ALWAYS been a supporter of Isreal and the Jewish people. But for some of them to want Gibson's portrayal of the events surrounding the crucifiction to be "colored" so as not to impune Jews is silly. It was Jesus' peers (the Jews) who were the final judge responsible for putting him on the cross -- albeit the Saducces and Pharisees are the Jewish groups who are most responsible for his crucifiction. I do NOT hold the Jews of today responsible for his death. It was destiny in reality. But nevertheless, the true story is that the Jews had the Romans do their "dirty work" and the story should be told that way. I am not a biblical scholar, and if some take issue with my statements, than please educate me. I could be a little "off" with some of my thoughts...
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can hardly wait to see it!
View Quote

The only problem is, my Latin is terrible, my mother's latin is rusty, and the only guy I know who knows both Aremaic and Latin lives in Alabama.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top