Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2003 10:30:10 AM EDT
Times are a little tough, not like I can't make it or anything but there is other stuff I would like to spend my money on. Someone made me a pretty good offer for my Mak 90, so I started thinking I don't really need it right now, but my other thought was will I be able to find another AK thats as good as my Mak. I don't think anyone is importing AK's right now??? and the romanians are climbing in price.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Well how much were you offered?  I don't consider the MAKs to be such a great catch.  They're kinda a "bastardized" AK, and none of mine actually shot that well.  Their fit and finish is nice but in my experience my "inferior" Romanian guns outshoot them.  My last MAK (my nicest one) back to back at the range against my SAR1 was outshot, especially when hot...  I blame the often hinted at, zero proof rumor of "inferior Chinese metal".  I got rid of my last MAK to get a lowly SAR2 and I sure don't regret it...

If the offer is high enough I'd ditch it.  If nothing else you can get a US made AK with as good/better fit and finish at a later date.  A VEPR can be had for like $450, $550ish for some of the Arsenal AKs...  Assuming nothing unforseen those are not going to change anytime soon...
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I just heard the romanian aks had some problems like trigger slap and little stuff like that.

How are the US made AK's? when the ban expires I could put a folder on one of them that would be real cool.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
not like I can't make it or anything but there is other stuff I would like to spend my money on.quote]

Keep it.  Don't rely on what you [b]may[/b] be able to buy in the future.  I thought the same way when I lived in Canada, and laws only got much worse.  Look at the history of gun control in the U.S. as a guide.  Have things ever gotten any better?

You should be thinking the opposite; invest in a U.S. stock set and trigger group and put a pistol grip on it.  If you can't afford it now, set the gun aside.  You [b]will[/b] regret selling it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not up on all the reg's for MAK-90's.
- Can they use 30 round mags. as is?
- What has to be done to make them legal pistol grip, 30 round mag units?
- What is allowed as far as recoil reducers for the muzzle. etc.

I have a Maadi, yes I know, but I must have been lucky as it has been reliable.
From what I've read a street legal istol grip  MAK -90 is possible, and desirable,
Can anyone help me here?
What parts, prices, addresses can you pass along info on?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]
How much you want for it?[:D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not up on all the reg's for MAK-90's.
- Can they use 30 round mags. as is?
- What has to be done to make them legal pistol grip, 30 round mag units?
- What is allowed as far as recoil reducers for the muzzle. etc.

I have a Maadi, yes I know, but I must have been lucky as it has been reliable.
From what I've read a street legal istol grip  MAK -90 is possible, and desirable,
Can anyone help me here?
What parts, prices, addresses can you pass along info on?

Thanks.
View Quote

You may want to post your questions on the AK side on ARFCOM and also try AK-47.net.  They will give you all the info you need.  But I'll go over it briefly here.

A post-ban foreign-made AK cannot have a pistol grip unless the rifle contains 10 or less foreign made parts.  This essentially translates into replacing 5 parts with U.S. made parts.  The easiest to replace (IMO) is the furniture.  K-Var makes nice synthetic furniture.  There is some 'falling-out' that went on at AK-47.net with K-Var, so don't mention them or your account will be locked there.  You can find out about nice wood furniture, but I prefer synthetic.  That will give you 3 U.S. parts (foregrips, pistol grip and stock).  Then it is also easy to replace the trigger group (hammer, trigger, and disconnector) and I would recommend Red Star Arms.  Tapco makes a cheaper one but RSA is adjustable.  Depends how much you are willing to spend.  This gives you a total of 6 U.S. made parts.  If you have 6 parts, then you can put a muzzlebreak/compensator on, but you have to have it silver-soldered permanently.  I did the above with a post-ban Polytech, and it had a nut welded over the threads on the end.  Took the nut off, screwed on an AK-74-style muzzlebreak and silver-soldered it on.  If you don't have a threaded end, you can pin on the muzzlebreak and then weld it on.  

It's $$ and time, but well worth it to be able to put on a pistol grip [b]depending on what you paid for the post-ban[/b].  If you already have a post-ban, then it's worth it.  

Read through all the laws and understand them before you get going.

Sorry about hijacking your thread Mak762.[:D]  

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just heard the romanian aks had some problems like trigger slap and little stuff like that.

View Quote
The cure for this is the 2-stage trigger from Red Star Arms. It's the best $80 you'll ever spend on an AK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top