Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2003 7:02:12 PM EDT
Yep. I'm bringing my 4 YO daughter home from ballet class, moving at a leisurely 35 MPH on a rural state route near our home when some jackass blows a stop sign right in front of us. He didn't even think about stopping for the stop sign, just full on blows right through it.
His timing couldn't have been worse. I didn't have time to evade, brake or give warning. I made contact with his drivers side, dead center, 90 degrees at 35 MPH.
I spun out and went between two utility poles without making contact before coming to rest off the roadway facing the exact opposite direction I was traveling and on the opposite side of the road.
Stunned by the impact, I hear my little girl in the back seat freaking out, screaming, crying, calling for her daddy. She's strapped in her booster seat and I had my lap and shoulder belt on so luckily we had no major injuries. She flew foward at the waist and her legs flew up and one of her knees hit her square in the eye. It looks like she took a hard punch.
We both went to the local E.R. via ambulance. The local vollies were great and I know the Deputy who took the report and darn near everyone in the E.R. as well I am already stiffening up and I can tell I will be in considerable pain. I'm sure she will be as well.
My really cherry, low mileage 94 S10 Blazer 4X4 (long ago paid for) may be totaled. I know I won't get what it's worth and I planned on keeping it several more years.
So I'm sore, pissed and worried about my daugther and I know I'm going to miss some work over this.
Mr. Jackass's POS Chevy Cavalier is a total loss. He wasn't seriously injured either. Fortunately he is insured.
Not a good evening. Could have been worse though. Just thought I'd share. So wear your seat belts, strap your kids in and be careful out there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to here that you both escaped without serious injury.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear you & daughter are OK (& sorry about the Blazer, I've got one too)

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad you and your child are OK.  Don't worry about your vehicle...Mr heathen driver may and should buy you what ever you want. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad you and yours are ok.

The driver didn't happen to be a former senator from SD, was he?  Sounds like his MO.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]
i'm glad noone was seriously hurt.
i'm curious, what was the other guys excuse for blowing through the stop sign, and was he apologetic or an ass?
too many people, even though in the wrong, show no caring to those they injure. they just care about the pending charges or the wrecked car.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad to hear you two are safe. Accidents can really shake you up mentally and physically. Take some Motrin or Advil before you go to bed tonight!

Good job on keeping your cool, I would have considered one swift punch to the nose on this idiot.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#8]
.........count your blessings............
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad you and your daughter will be OK

Don't trash the little cavalier too much....you were both driving chevys, and everyone walked away.....if he'd been driving some little POS plastic ricer, he'd be dead.

I like ricers.....they make such a nice little crunch when smashed.  --some anti-ricer webpage, don't remember which one
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i'm glad noone was seriously hurt.
i'm curious, what was the other guys excuse for blowing through the stop sign, and was he apologetic or an ass?
too many people, even though in the wrong, show no caring to those they injure. they just care about the pending charges or the wrecked car.
View Quote

I honestly never got a chance to talk to him or really get a good look at him for that matter. I was able to lay down some road flares and get someone to call my wife but my daughter was so upset she wouldn't let me leave her side. I normally would have checked on him but my daughter was my main concern. I sat with her, consoled her and kept her strapped in and for the most part imobile until the medics got there. Thankfully there was a handful of witnesses that stopped and called for help and stayed with the other guy.

He never appoached my vehicle either. Probably a good thing. I'm normally not one to over react and lash out in anger but I swear to God I wanted to hurt the SOB that hurt my daughter accident or not. Like most fathers I am insanely protective of my child.

The Deputy said he wasn't drunk or high, just seems he was driving with his head up his ass. A very common tale. Incidently he was a 21 year old young man driving his mothers car.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad you and your daugther are not seriously hurt.

Best Wishes

Steve
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glad to hear you two are safe. Accidents can really shake you up mentally and physically.
View Quote

It's tough enough for adults but it really has an impact on little ones. When I put my daughter to bed tonight she asked me "Daddy, what do you want me to dream about tonight?" It's a little thing we do sometimes before I put her to bed. I told her to dream she is a little fish in the ocean swimming with Nemo and the Sea Trutles. She likes that movie. Her response? "I'll dream about the crash". I know she'll be up crying later.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Very glad that you and your daughter are not seriously injured Sukebe! I find it frightening that the accident was forceful enough to cause your daughters knee to strike her face. Oddly enough, my FIL was Tboned by a drunk illegal alien with no insurance and no identification at 0700 today. He is fine physically, but very upset about his beloved Ram being destroyed. I would never expect to get hit by a drunk at 7am.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad to hear you're alright ... and stand by for the crowd that will complain that they'll not be wearing seat belts because the .gov makes them wear them [rolleyes]. After my first t-bone I understood that Newton's Laws were real and that except for my belt my face would be even uglier than it is now.

Count your blessings and treasure every single minute, hour, day, week, month and year with your daughter!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Very glad that you and your daughter are not seriously injured Sukebe! I find it frightening that the accident was forceful enough to cause your daughters knee to strike her face.
View Quote

For safety's sake I keep her booster seat in the center seat position of the back seat. since this is an older Blazer, it only has a lap belt in this position but it affords better protection from side impacts. So, since her upper body was unrestrained, she flew forward from the waist up I suppose the negative G's forced her legs into the air and face and knee made contact. She was wearing lycra tights and you can see the impression of the weave in her skin on her nose and over her right eye. At least that's what it looks like. It's also possible that her face hit the back of the front seat but she was fastend in pretty securely. After seeing some many crashes over the years, I'm very conscientious about that. It gave her a nasty abrasion and some swelling. We'll follow up with her Pediatrician ASAP.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#16]
A truck is replacable, just be happy everyone is ok.  When you're pissed about that $1000 the insurance company jacked you for, just remember the other scenario, where you are visiting a grave as he t-boned YOU on your daughter's side.  Glad you two are ok!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#17]
glad your ok!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Roger that Balzac! I definitley have my priorities straight.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#20]
You seemed very concerned for the welling being of your daughter.  I would strongly suggest that you talk to an accident lawyer to see what if anything you should do should the pain and stiffness not go away within a couple days.  Getting the proper documentation up front could save you a lot of time later on.  Hopefully you and your daughter will recover without any permanent injury.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Glad you and your daughter are going to be fine.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. Good night.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I am glad you will both be alright and this is not a slam, but shouldn't a 4 year old be in a full on car seat not just a booster? I am sitting here at my computer and it sent chills up my spine when I read that her upper body flew forward. The vision of that in my mind worried me as I would imagine it did you that she could have been more seriously injured.

I agree I would want to hurt the S.O.B. that caused the collision. That guy was either driving with his head up his butt or ran the stop sign on purpose which is as bad or worse.

A very similar thing happened to me and my 6 yr old daughter the Sunday America began the bombing of Afghanistan, October 8th 2001. Idiot 16 year old flips a U-turn right in front of me, no time to swerve or even brake I just T-boned his passenger door. Scared me alot and my daughter was crying and slightly injured on her chest from the seatbelt strap. Even at 6 (she was a month away from 7) she was in a full car seat and thankfully not seriously injured.

Again praise God your daughter and you will be OK.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Much as guys here bad mouth lawyers, you should be on the phone to a landshark now.  Realistically both insurance companies are going to lowball you.  Yours however should be willing to help you max the other guy.  Also if your truck is totalled, you can probably go after the other guy for enough to get a similar replacement vehicle.  His insurance should spring for it if confronted adequately.  After all if you get to go to a jury with all the witnesses that he blew the Stop sign he'll be lucky if you couldn't really wring them out.

Injuries, therapy, all should be paif for by him.  Don't settle or admit until YOU are sure that everything is covered.  A good lawyer and a good Doctor should know what is reasonable and what injuries can be expected in this kind of situation.

It'll be a few days before all the aches and tweaks start showing up, you've had a good adrenaline jolt and things aren't gonna loosen up for a few days.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Talk to Eric the Hun, he's a lawyer and can help you if there is valid legal recourse.

Failing that he can give you good advice on what loadings to shoot the bastard with.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#26]
My heart and thought go out to you and your daughter - about 10 years ago we were the car being t-boned.  Some idiot ran a red light down town in San Diego.

After three years and an ass for a lawyer, we got a small settlement.  My daughters settlement went into a trust account - all of $5000.

I blame my own lawyer for this.  He gave us all kinds of assurances that we had a good case, that we should get no less than a certain amount, etc, etc, etc... but unfortunately, this being the first time I ever needed a lawyer, I couldn't read the signs of burnout... ours was the last PI case he took.

Ah, well, live and learn - get your self a *good* lawyer.  make sure he's a real shark and go after the guy - especially if he's got insurance.  Your gonna have medical bills to pay, and your daughter will have more than nightmares - my daughter [b]still[/b] won't sit in that spot in any vehicle.  She gets real upset if it looks like she will have to.  There could also be your own difficulties - did they check you out thoughly at the hospital?  Make sure you both are checked completely.

Again, my prayers will go out that she has a good night sleep with pleasant dreams, and you just keep letting her know that you are there and love her.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#27]
congrats on your survival..and kiss your lil girl..

seat belts save lives..

i worked a case last night at the hospital of a full frontal ejection thru the windshield..

into a metal roadsign..

eeeeeewwwwwwwwww
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:48:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I hope you and your daughter feel better soon. Sounds like the maroon driving the other car was off in la-la land.  

I had a similar experience when I was a young man in my early twenties.  I was working for a construction consulting company, and another guy and I were heading to a site to perform some soil tests or something.  The other guy was driving, we came to a red light at the intersection of a busy 4-lane divided highway, and he blows right through the intersection.  I damn near pissed my pants.  Somebody upstairs was smiling on us that day, fortunately, as we went right through without a scratch.  I never again got in a vehicle with that bozo.

Get well soon.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:53:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Glad your daughter and you are okay.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Here is some advice.

First, do not sign anything from any insurance company, period!

Have an attorney look over any papers. Insurance companies brag how they settle in 24 hours, thats because they make you some low ball settlement & release themselves from all liability present & future before you have had time to think about it or research anything.

Contact a good PI attorney. You may not feel the full result of the accident for a few weeks.

Don't accept the first settlement offered on your totaled vehicle. Write them a letter and tell them it's not enough. Tell them to replace your Blazer with like kind and quality. THey may not have to do replacements but they will have to spend the time looking for one and get a true value for it. You do the same, search the internet car sites, try to find an exact replacement in your area with similar mileage & condition. If you can't find one near you, find one where ever and call a transportation company for a quote on delivering it to you. Submit everything in writing to the insurance co. They will drag their feet for 30 days but they will settle for the real value of your vehicle. It will probably be several thousand higher than the first offer. If they give you any crap, tell them you'll take them to arbitration. (It will cost them alot more to arbitrate than the difference in the settlement).
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:20:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Whatta story.
Glad it happened the way it did.
The outcome is better this way.
Very happy your Little Princess is OK.

Take care.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:50:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad to hear you guys are OK. The truck can be replaced, your kid can't.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:57:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:22:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm glad you and your little girl are (mostly) alright.  Let her shiner motivate you to get everything taken care of well.

Be thankful that you hit him with your front, as opposed to him t-boning you.

Thank you for sharing as well, it make my decision to buy a safer car easier.

Again, thank God you are both ok.

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:24:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I am glad to hear you and your daughter were not worse.

You will be hurting more a day or two after.

Write down the most detailed account you can right now, time, speed, ect.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:24:26 AM EDT
[#36]
His timing couldn't have been worse.
View Quote

Oh yes, it could.  He could have t-boned [u]you[/u].

Glad to hear you and your daughter are okay.  Seatbelts aren't just a law, they are also a good idea.  Glad you had your daughter strapped in like you did.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:11:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Glad to here the injuries are minimal.

Same thing happened to my mom in early November.
She had a 94 S-10 Tahoe. She t-boned a 03 Santa Fe while doing 55.
Unfortunately she reacted and hit the brake at the same time of impact. She has 10 breaks in the right foot. 5 in the outer bone.
After 4 weeks in a cast, the doctor removed it and due to her age (70) and having sugar diabetes there is no sign of healing.
He re-casted and is going to wait until after the holidays to do anything else.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Thank God it was not worse, because it sure could have been!  Sorry to hear the news Sukebe.  You can replace the truck, and the aches and pains, and the fears will become a memory.  The most important things are A-OK!.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:34:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Forget the truck....Glad to hear you and your Daughter made it out safely....Prayers for a good recovery
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#40]
My really cherry, low mileage 94 S10 Blazer 4X4 (long ago paid for)may be totaled.
View Quote

DAMN, I T-boned a ~2001 VW Passat over the summer at 25mph (but it was my fault) in my '94 Blazer 4x4 (it also was also in exc condition, and had like ~88k mile, has the Tahoe package).  

Her damage: One royally messed up car, damage to both front and rear quarter panels on the passenger side, both passenger doors caved in, etc.  

My damage: Needed new bumper, driver's frame stub had to be bent forward a bit (it was bent in about 1/2" at the front, so the bumper wouldn't sit right, I hit her exactly at 90 degrees, the driver's frame stub had been repaired by the previous owner, so it was softer than the (original) stub on the passenger's side) with a digging bar, two headlight adjustment things (the plastic piece the adjustment screw goes into that clips into the body of the truck) and a little nudging with a hammer and wood block to get the driver's front quarter panel back into position enough that it wouldnt rub on the driver's door.

Yeah, I'm a poor college kid and my dad's a shade-tree mechanic.  A barrel and bolt carrier for my latest project Ar15 were more important than paying the $250 deductable to have a body shop fix my truck. [:D]

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:39:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I am glad you will both be alright and this is not a slam, but shouldn't a 4 year old be in a full on car seat not just a booster? I am sitting here at my computer and it sent chills up my spine when I read that her upper body flew forward. The vision of that in my mind worried me as I would imagine it did you that she could have been more seriously injured.
View Quote

She'll be 5 in early Feb. She's 44 inches tall and over 50lbs. Pretty big for her age and when considering restrain systems, size is more important than age. However, I'm definetly going to re-evaluate her seat and look for something better. We use a full seat with a lap and shoulder belt in my wifes Impala.

Quoted:
i'm glad you and your daughter walked away, sukebe.
View Quote

If you're familier with the area and I think you may be, it was at Kent Ave. (RT 43) and Mt. Pleasant NE. About a mile from my home. The exact same intersection where, a few years ago, two little boys were killed after being struck by a felon fleeing the Akron P.D.. You remember it right? He was in a stolen car, wanted by the ATF and a few other agencies, being chased by the Cops, his girlfriend was following the chase. He blew the stop sign and hit a mini van with a mother and her three boys in it. Mom and one son were seriously injured. Two boys (something like 4 and 6 YO) were killed. Bad guy gets out shooting and as Cops return fire and kill him, his girlfriend comes out of nowhere and started shooting at the Cops. Talk about total chaos and the SHTF!
I came to rest almost right on top of the little road side memorial that someone set up there. Freaky.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I am SO glad neither you, nor your daughter received any serious injuries. It could have been much, much worse. I'd be royally pissed myself, if my Blazer got totalled because some dumbass won't follow the rules of the road. But wtf; it's only a vehicle, and those can be replaced. Yours, and your daughter's lives, can't.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#44]
You're both ok. Praise God for that!!!

Are ya a bit sore today??? How's the daughter today???

You taking the day off?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Sukebe,

I'm grateful as well that everyone was uninjured. How's your daughter doing today? Kids are tough, I'll bet she'll bounce back pretty easily.

Sure sucks loosing a good vehicle, but.....

Take care, buddy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Sorry to hear... could have been worse, and we can thank God it wasn't. Christmas/Holiday season can be a HUGE distraction when driving.
Hope you and the little one are going to feel better soon.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I keep hearing all this talk about how great trucks are in crashes...actually they perform very badly. See below Mini Cooper vs. FORD F150:

http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/CrashTestingMINICooperVsFordF150
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm glad you and your daughter came through it relatively unscathed, and sorry it was your turn to deal with the missing-two-chromosomes guy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Glad you and your daughter are going to be fine.
View Quote

Amen to that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top