Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2003 6:58:47 PM EDT
I'm leaving for Alaska on June 1 and will be there through Oct.  I will be alone most of the time. I will be scouting for trophy grizzly and guiding a few hunts.  I have shelter, fuel, generators, sat phone, and raido contact.  I can have supplies flown in every two weeks.  The master guide whom I'm under will be with me the first two weeks to show me around.  It is area 131 on the lower right grid of Alaska on the map on the the Holitna and Kuskokwim river systems.  
I think I'v ethough of everything, but might be missing something.  I've already started shipping stuff over.  I can only take 40 lbs with me when I go.  All supplys must be shipped at $1 a pound.  
Items I shiped today
-2 GPS
-1 case MRE's (Food will be flown in)
-2 pair guide boots, misc clothing
-1 case signal flares
-rechargeable flashlight, head lamps, coleman   lantern, two dozen mantles
-first aid kits, with blood clotting agents
-Cipro, misc medical
-hand crank radio
-2 solor panals
-one can GI gun oil
-tolitry items (swamp ass, soap,)
-water purification systems
-trip whisles (?? for the bears away from camp)
-wash board (laundry)
-game butcher kit, several knifes, pack shovels
-tool set (fix generators and stuff)

this is my main shipment of stuff and I plan on shipping my guns the week before I leave so they will get there the same time I do. I know I'm missing several things.  I will be in contacy with a guy who will fly in stuff if the weather is good.  Sounds crazy, but I'm pumped.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
  Just off the top of my head, Mosquito repellent.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Blindfolds, you will be there for days with the most sunlight.  Also, bring that really long book that you always wanted to read.  Some tackle for fishing if there is a river near you and weight permits.[;)]

chris
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
What, no gold prospecting gear?
At least take a pan.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Can I have a job application please?????

Extra bootlaces come to mind. Wool socks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess it depends on how much stuff you can buy up there.  Where on the Kuskokwim?  Bethel is towards the mouth and is a good-sized town, but plan on spending about $5 or more for a gallon of milk and comparably on other items.  

I would definitely bring a pair of xtra-tough rubber boots or Lacross lightweight rubber hip boots (my choice).  They will be very helpful in boats and out on the muskeg.  

Unless you are going to be in mountainous country, which I can't think that you will be, leather boots are not necessary.  

I WOULD ALSO RECOMMEND that you strongly consider buying a PEET shoe dryer if you have access to either propane or electricity each night.  

My List:

.338 or .375 bolt, ammo
12 ga pump, ammo
Pepper spray FOR BEARS
nav equip and area maps
personal comfort stuff
personal survival stuff
hip boots
NON-COTTON pants and shirts (wool is good)
whatever other clothing I deem necessary
head net for bugs
work gloves
neoprene gloves
light axe and a couple of small sheath knives
tools
cammy, if I intend to waterfowl.
extra glasses
binoculars
EPIRB (if you are supplying emergency gear.  

Most survival stuff is required carry by pilots.  I would hope that your boss is sufficiently prudent to supply his workers with adequate survival gear such as e-rations, axes, fire etc.  

BTW What is a Master Guide?  Does Gerhard Blenk give you a little Tyrolian hat that you can wear around town?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
forgot about sun glasses.
A master guide is registered with the state of Alaska.  Usually it takes three years and completion of guide school to get.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah.  Thanks! :)
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:05:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top