Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2003 1:32:59 PM EDT
I'm setting up a 400 yd. range and would like some of your ideas on bench design. I'm gonna start with a 4'x8' piece of plywood, and i will have it anchored securely on concreted posts, where my ideas run out is on the design of the bench top. Shape, cutouts, etc. I would like it to have 2 shooting positions. Also i need suggestions on seat design. I'd like a design that can be adjusted for height and distance from the bench. If you have any suggestions, maybe from ranges u use, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
AL
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:13:27 AM EDT
[#1]
BTTT
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#2]
These are the benches at CE WMA. They have held up pretty well for a free public range. Sorry for the ass shot, not my ass, btw. This is the best pic I have at work. I may have a better one at home. The seats are relatively new. They rotate and lift and are pretty simple. Add a cushion for longer shoots, you got it made.

Lemme know if you want a better pic. Hope this helps.

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~bytethebullet/images/bench.jpg[/img]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your input Byte, that gives me a better idea of what i need to be looking for.

Keep the ideas coming peeps.

P.S. Byte do the seats slide up and down on the back leg there, adjusted by moving them up a bolt hole or somethin?  Pic helps, little more info on how they work would be appreciated.

Thanks alot

AL
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#4]
They are 'mounted' on the rear leg. Just slightly larger circumference. They slide up and down by lifting the seat part. I would suggest a little larger seat if you will be sitting a while. As they are not painted some guys will cover with targets or cardboard. Rust you know. Pure gravity holds them up, well, my fat ass on the seat holds them in place...friction. And you can swing them out of the way, too.

I will look for a better pic at home.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]
These are the benches at the Fayette County Gun Club in LaGrange, Texas.  They are rock solid and great for benchrest shooting.

http://www.fayettecountygunclub.com/riflebench1.jpg
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#6]
One word, concrete.
Here is a pic of one example and I have a book at home with plans for one as well. If I can find it I will try to get it scanned.

[url]http://nd.rifleshooting.com/gallery.htm[/url]

CH

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I get it now Byte, thats a great idea, seems like it shouldn't be too hard to build either, thanks for ur help.

Pazzo, thanks for the link, looks like ya'll have a nice setup there, the pics on the site help.  Preciate it.

AL
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
pazzo's pic:

[img]http://www.fayettecountygunclub.com/riflebench1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#9]
One thought, a plywood surface exposed to the elements may not last long, no matter how it's finished.  You might want to consider a different material, or construct a covered firing line with a real roof.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah im thinkin that too now 1911, i'm thinkin now that i mite go with the concrete top, probably a 2 person station, 4'x8' with 2 2x2 cutouts, i can form it up myself, and use our forklift to put it in place.....mite just form it in place, no lifting needed. Also gonna try and incorporate the seat on the steel pipe idea also.  That is where im headed at this point, but im still interested in more input, please keep it coming folks.

Thanks to all those who have replied so far.

AL
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#11]
BTTT

I think i'm gonna build the seats where i can use some cheap boat seat or something softer like that, keep my hiney comfy.  Just use one of the standard boat receivers so i can take the seats with me to prevent sticky-fingered friends/family who mite use this range from upgrading their john boats upholstery..[:E]
Leave a couple "hard" seats for those peeps to use when I'm not around.

AL
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget that a concrete top will not be very forgiving on your guns and accessories. Or add a carpet type covering. I good pressure treated 2x6 type top should last a while.  A roof type cover would help that too and get you out of the Fl sun. Boat seat sounds good too!! Comfy!

Just my 2¢

ByteTheBullet
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Use Trex of other synthetic/wood type material for the bench top. It'll last forever.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you have access to a cutting torch and welder. I saw a bench on biggerhammer.net and the guy shared the plan.
I used 1/4 inch steel and welded metal legs. It is very solid and is portable (to a point).
I painted the metal and use a piece of carpet over the surface. It is basically a T and can be used right or left. I use a folding stool or 5 gallon bucket as a seat.  Email and I can fax dimensions or pic if you want.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:20:42 AM EDT
[#15]
That Trex stuff is a good idea too.  Ive assembled some park benches that use that stuff, could be a nice alternative, do you know if its available in small quantities, dont think u can just pick some up at the local lumber yard?

Texashark, i have access to that stuff but i'm not very experienced in metal work, mite be able to get some help to do it though.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.  I went from having very few ideas myself, to having trouble deciding between all of ya'lls ideas.  

AL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top