Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2003 1:06:13 PM EDT
I went home for lunch like I usually do. I watch the History Channel more times than not. Today at 1pm, PST, the subject was bullets. As they're going through their script, a gun came up which I didn't recognize. At first, I thought it was a SAW, but as they did a close up, I realized the lower was an M-16 and the upper was belt fed. Did anyone see this episode? And what kind of weapon was that?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the Shrike upper.  Belt-fed semiauto.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
At first, I thought it was a SAW, but as they did a close up, I realized the lower was an M-16 and the upper was belt fed. Did anyone see this episode? And what kind of weapon was that?
View Quote

Ares Defense Shrike, I think, from reading other threads since the show has been on before.

Damn, I watched the channel this morning, but turned it off to study right after "Million Dollar Guns". Guess the whole day was gun related. Would've liked to have seen the Shrike.

edit: Damn! Beaten again!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

The person was shooting in full auto.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It's all based on the lower.

Have a semi lower, it shoot semi. Burst lower shoots burst, full auto shoots full. The belt fed part is just an upper, so you can stick it on a semi auto. They're even making a post-ban version.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
At first, I thought it was a SAW, but as they did a close up, I realized the lower was an M-16 and the upper was belt fed. Did anyone see this episode? And what kind of weapon was that?
View Quote

Ares Defense Shrike, I think, from reading other threads since the show has been on before.

Damn, I watched the channel this morning, but turned it off to study right after "Million Dollar Guns". Guess the whole day was gun related. Would've liked to have seen the Shrike.

edit: Damn! Beaten again!
View Quote

ARES Defense Shrike, huh? Anyone got a link? Is it being sold to civilians?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]
if you watch the old Armalite video they show a belt fed AR in that too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw it too, but I thought it was being fed through the mag well.
I really wanted more info on the frangible AP round they were talking about.
Cuts thorugh armor, but won't over penetrate an unarmored target.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it is being sold to civilians.  It is legal because the weapon can still feed from a magazine vs via belt only.

[url]http://www.aresdefense.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It's all based on the lower.

Have a semi lower, it shoot semi. Burst lower shoots burst, full auto shoots full. The belt fed part is just an upper, so you can stick it on a semi auto. They're even making a post-ban version.
View Quote

But there are [i]separate[/] uppers for auto and semi.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
... That was an awesome episode. Not so much to learn anything (for me)  but rather, just the exposure to layfolk.

... Guns and ammo are here to stay, is what came to mind.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:15:37 AM EDT
[#11]
No doubt it was belt fed....I paid VERY close attention to what was being ejected. Not only were the spent casings...but unmistakably, so were the links.

Was cool to see an older A1 w/o shell deflector fire full auto in slow-motion. Close up of the ejection port.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Any body else surprised to see the number of M14 rifles on that firing line? I thought that they would be using the AR platform more during competition.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I was thinking the same thing...only Rem 700 platform instead of the AR.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Did anynody see the Marines reloading ammo?

The one guy was priming cases. He primed a case, turned it up to look and it had a spent primer.

Then it showed a guy seating bullets and casing them up for a particular weapon. The rounds had no primers.

I'm suprised it didn't have a "don't try this at home" message before that segment.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I looked at the site.  $3000 for the upper.  That's a little high for something of little use other than novelty.  Certainly wouldn't be my "everyday" range gun.  It is awesome looking, though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#16]
When I saw the rifle team, I too was shocked to see the M-14 still in use.

Turns out, that they still do use the M-14 a bit for the 1,000 yard line.

When the guy shot the meat with the desert camo M-1A, I jumped out of my chair.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I also noticed the spent primer being re-seated into the brass and the unprimed brass being capped with bullets. I wonder if they were just "going through the motions" for the camera team. I had to go hold my m21 after the show was over. I wonder if Mcnemera would ever beleive the M14 to have a resurgence in use 50 years after he condemmed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top