Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2003 11:50:03 AM EDT
It may become OTC soon.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#1]
no
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to have to vote NO on this one as well.  After that Holly Patterson death, I don't think it should be available to just anyone at anytime
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
no
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I think it would be good to give women an alternative to abortion and an unwanted pregnancy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  It actually a better option for some women than the standard 30 day pill. And Troy is correct. It's not the abortion pill that has resulted i some deaths. It's simply a High dose birth control pill that prevents the fertilization, or the fertalized egg from attaching the the uterin wall.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Give it out in all the schools.

Hand it out with *every* *single* welfare handout.

Require it's use for all public welfare users.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]
OTC?  No.

I hope that they’re sold in vending machines in the lady’s rooms of bars.

In fact – that gives me an idea…
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I support this.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

IMO, they should hand these out like candy, or at least like condoms.

-Troy
View Quote

hell ya, I went to a christian high school and I swear so many of the good looking girls are pregnant or have kids. There parents said they aren't going to have sex so no birth control well heck they ARE going to do it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
If it does become OTC, they will sell a [i]lot[/i] of pills.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#14]
medically:   it is a bad idea. I see plenty of people taking crap now, OTC or otherwise, for which they have no idea what they are doing.

Personally:   I don't care if they let everyone get whatever they want over the counter. It will probably make me busier though as my dog is smarter than a fair number of the people I meet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]
 What seemed like a good idea in the throngs of passion under the influence of alcohol might not be such a good idea. I couple BC pills to PREVENT CONCEPTION the next morning (actually up to 72 hours depending on the type) is an excellent alternative.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes

For some people, it should be mandatory
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Why is it necessary?

The people who should be using it really should be using one of the barrier methods in an effort to prevent STDs.

Just a thought. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Troy
View Quote

hell ya, I went to a christian high school and I swear so many of the good looking girls are pregnant or have kids. There parents said they aren't going to have sex so no birth control well heck they ARE going to do it.
View Quote

Its hard finding a girl around here that hasnt been passed around a bit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#20]
YES!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#21]
YUP
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is it necessary?

The people who should be using it really should be using one of the barrier methods in an effort to prevent STDs.
View Quote

It's necessary because there are lots of people who are too stubborn or stupid to use barrier methods
View Quote

Yep. count me amoung them. I would rather not have sex at all than have sex with a condom. OTC morning after pill is a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I used this "morning after pill" for years:
[img]http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/10087/200.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm all for it.  My $.02
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Last time I checked they were practically giving this away at Planned Parenthood.

-HS
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
no
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Supporting this on the grounds that "I won't have to use a rubber" is reprehensible. If you've been with her for a while, and she's comfortable with your bodily fluids, she should be on the pill. If she's some dishrag whore you just met, then who knows what kind of STDs could get passed around. Counting on this pill is moronic.

I support this pill because accidents happen. It's a lot more humane than crushing some unwanted kid's head with surgical tools or a vacuum.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is it necessary?

View Quote

It's necessary because there are lots of people who are too stubborn or stupid to use barrier methods or regular birth control.  So, the alternative is to either allow these people to have access to the "Morning After" pill, or let them get pregnant and either have an abortion or have an un-planned child that will usually be financed by taxpayers.  I'd much rather make the Morning After pill available.

-Troy
View Quote

That is probably true, however I would hate to see this new variation of the pill influence the stupid to be even stupider and not use barrier methods when they should.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes. Anything that will make preventing unplanned pregnancy easier is good with me.

Also, I hope all of you hard-core “pro-life” people are not against this. The best way to prevent abortion is to prevent unplanned pregnancy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Give it out in all the schools.

Hand it out with *every* *single* welfare handout.

Require it's use for all public welfare users.
View Quote
Yeah and illegal aliens as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#34]
STDs are gonna be spreadin like gang-busters, whatever the hell that means
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#35]
... this issue sure divides the party
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I have to agree with Troy on this one.
Some of you guys with daughters should too

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why is it necessary?

Just a thought. [;)]
View Quote

1) To address your point: Condoms break occasionally.

[size=4]2) Now, if this did occur on a saturday night, your local planned parenthood center may be closed the next day, therefore decreasing your chances of the pill working.[size=4] While the pill is effective for up to 72 hours, your best chances are within the first 24 hours. I'm not very up to date with the operating hours of planned parenthood, but getting the pill OTC could significantly decrease the amount of teen or unwanted pregnancies. That point has been on my mind for ages now...

3) A teen might not feel comfortable to go to planned parenthood after having unprotected sex, and therefore foolishly accept the risk. OTC would make this like buying a box of advil.

I'm all for this!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I dont see any problem with this. No need for government intervention based on peoples religious beliefs.

Are you going to argue that every sperm is a human life? Because if you do that it could be argued that you commit genocide every time you beat the meat in the shower.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:36:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes. Anything that will make preventing unplanned pregnancy easier is good with me.

[red]Also, I hope all of you hard-core “pro-life” people are not against this. The best way to prevent abortion is to prevent unplanned pregnancy.[/red]
View Quote

I don't think many Pro-lifers will sign on to this, as many of them believe that conception takes place as soon as the penis ejaculates and leaves the vagina, thus constitutes the begining of 'Life'. To use this pill would then constitute 'abortion'.

That is why we are seeing so many 'No' answers with out any explanation.

Also I think they are waiting for the 'Grand Mullah' Hun to wade in with an opinion that they can 'endorse'
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:57:59 AM EDT
[#41]
In my current assignment, I see reports almost every day where a woman has been drugged or given too much to drink, then raped. Certainly some of the reports speak clearly of careless behavior, but many do not. I'd like to see this pill over the counter as soon as possible.
Additionally, it would be a good alternative to the problem two hot-blooded young teenagers could create for their families. I realize it might lead to more of the same, but at least they'd have another chance to salvage their futures.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#42]
YES.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Definitely yes.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#44]
This has been one of my biggest points on talking to liberals about abortion...I feel that if women truly want to "take charge of their reproductive organs" then they should not support and advise, an expensive, dangerous and deadly medical procedure.
It is always funny how often they talk about someone else and not themselves......when I talk about RKBA...it is me that is affected...
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes. ASAP.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you [s]dumbasses[/s] people realize that the "morning after" pill is nothing more than a high-dose birth-control pill, and that it prevents egg fertalization, just like a birth-control pill?  [b]It is NOT an "abortion" pill.  It is NOT RU486.[/b]

-Troy
View Quote

I think they should be MANDATORY for anyone on government assistance.
View Quote

You must still depend upon them to TAKE the damn pill.

I think Depo-Provera should be mandatory for anyone on government assistance.  Bend over, get a shot in the ass, [u]then[/u] get your check.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yes.  It actually a better option for some women than the standard 30 day pill. And Troy is correct. It's not the abortion pill that has resulted i some deaths. It's simply a High dose birth control pill that prevents the fertilization, or [red]the fertalized egg from attaching the the uterin wall.[/red]
View Quote

That's why it IS an abortion pill [s]dumbass[/s] people.

Yeah! Baby! Pass it out like candy! Woohoo! The last remaining moral barriers to "free love" will be gone! No more condoms (they don't work anyway)![banana]

I really like the idea of passing out "high dose birth control pills". You know, the same chemical formulation that has now been proven to increase the risk of stroke and blood clots, but now in a higher dose! It'll be great when this goes OTC.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.  It actually a better option for some women than the standard 30 day pill. And Troy is correct. It's not the abortion pill that has resulted i some deaths. It's simply a High dose birth control pill that prevents the fertilization, or [red]the fertalized egg from attaching the the uterin wall.[/red]
View Quote

That's why it IS an abortion pill[s]dumbass[/s]people.
View Quote

So, in your [s]fantasy[/s] world, a fertilized egg a few minutes old is a fully-endowed human being with all legal rights and protections?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah! Baby! Pass it out like candy! Woohoo! The last remaining moral barriers to "free love" will be gone! No more condoms (they don't work anyway)![banana]

I really like the idea of passing out "high dose birth control pills". You know, the same chemical formulation that has now been proven to increase the risk of stroke and blood clots, but now in a higher dose! It'll be great when this goes OTC.
View Quote

The pill doesn't prevent fertilization. It does prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus. Just like regular birth control pills.

This isn't RU-486 which causes a fertilized egg, that had implanted in the uterus to "de-implant".

Yeah it's the same type of chemical formulation, except at a higher dose as "regular" birth control pills. So you are saying 1 high dose occasionally is better than regularly taking lower dose birth control pills day after day, week after week, year after year? Which do you think has more of a long term effect?

I'm shocked. On a web-site that constantly says the war on drugs is a failure and the gubermint shouldn't tell people what to put in their bodies, all of a sudden when we get discussion of whether a prescription med should be reclassed to a non-prescription med there's a hue and cry that it ain't right.............
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

So, in your [s]fantasy[/s] world, a fertilized egg a few minutes old is a fully-endowed human being with all legal rights and protections?
View Quote

Prove that it isn't.

A fertilized egg represents, at the very least, the potential for a fully endowed human. Prove that it doesn't.

But really, let's NOT turn this into a thread that solely argues for or against the "A" word. Those threads are old hat and nobody's opinion is altered.

The purpose of my post was to point out the sheer stupidity of treating the morning after pill as some panacea to the birth control or abortion issues. It is not without risk...nothing ever is. And if you think that some idiots out there wouldn't be chomping them down like a bag of M&M's, you are sadly mistaken.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top