Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2003 10:15:30 AM EDT
www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110004435

Am I saying that critics of the war aren't patriotic?
Not at all--I'm a critic of some aspects of the war. What I'm saying is that those who try to paint the bleakest, most anti-American, and most anti-Bush picture of the war, whose purpose is not criticism but deception in order to gain temporary political advantage, those people are indeed not patriotic. They have placed their own or their party's political gain ahead of the national struggle to destroy the power base of the terrorists who attacked Americans abroad and on American soil.

Patriots place their loyalty to their country in time of war ahead of their personal and party ambitions. And they can wrap themselves in the flag and say they "support our troops" all they like--but it doesn't change the fact that their program is to promote our defeat at the hands of our enemies for their temporary political advantage.

Think what it will mean if we elect a Democratic candidate who has committed himself to an antiwar posture in order to get his party's nomination.

Our enemies will be certain that they are winning the war on the battleground that matters--American public opinion. So they will continue to kill Americans wherever and whenever they can, because it works.

Our soldiers will lose heart, because they will know that their commander in chief is a man who is not committed to winning the war they have risked death in order to fight. When the commander in chief is willing to call victory defeat in order to win an election, his soldiers can only assume that their lives will be thrown away for nothing. That's when an army, filled with despair, becomes beatable even by inferior forces.

Read the whole thing, as they say.

Another "media type" -- this guy's even a Democrat -- who "gets it"

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this the same Orson S. Card who is the Sci-Fi writer? I wouldn't of thought he would be attracted to the Democratic party. Or Republican for that matter. More like Libertarian or Independant.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Patriots place their loyalty to their country in time of war ahead of their personal and party ambitions.
View Quote

That's worth repeating.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
A.L.,

Yup, this is the same guy.

(I still get goosebumps thinking of his book "Lost Boys" -- which, unfortunately, he has said can never be made into a movie because of sixth sense).

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Great Article!
He wrote the sci-fi book "Enders Game".
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Great article... Great author!

One of the best books I've read in the last 4 or so years is "Pastwatch" by OSC. I couldn't put it down.

A breath of fresh air from one of the good guys. I would have been very disappointed in him had he bashed Bush, but not very surprised. I am pleasently surprised with this.

Thanks to the poster!

jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top