Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2003 9:11:40 AM EDT
I got no problem with people hunting I know it needs to be done or else the animal over populates has disease.

but I have killed varmints and stuff like that but when I hear some good ole boys talk about hunting deer with a sks and it taking 5 rds of steel core chicom ammo it kinda makes me cringe.

I guess I Am a liberal pussy but my dad use to always teach me if you hunt make a good shot and have enough rifle to back it up. When I hear people tell me how they keep nailing the deer and then it takes off and they decide to go home I just want to yell learn to make a good hit you moron.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#1]
5rounds?!?!?!  Yes that would make me cringe!  ANd I would ask those hunters WTF their problem is with being such poor shots!

I mean hell.  Ihad to shoot a rat last summer.  AT the last second the damn rat moved and I only injured him instead of killed him immeditiately.  Thast made me feel bad and I immediately put him out of his suffering.

God gave man dominion over the animals.  WIth that awesome power comes responsibility.  Part of that responsibility is not making them suffer unjustly!

SGtar15
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
a good hit with an assault weapon is a head or neck shot.  i like to drop them in their tracks so i use a .308 or 300Win mag.

The next time you hear someone bragging about wounding a deer tell them to shut the fuck up!  it's jackasses like you that are going to ruin hunting.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Today, I caught two mouses at work with a sticky trap.

Then I took 'em outside and crushed them with my foot.

Does that make me a bad person???

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#4]
when you hear some hunting stories do you ever cringe?
View Quote

yes, unless its about cats [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#5]
You think correctly, a good hunter should be able to take game in one shot, and have it die very quickly.  Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen and some animals get put down in ways that make any sportsman cringe.  At that point a lot of guys would shoot an animal repeatedly just to end its suffering.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#6]
the worst was when some kid about 12 told me he hit a deer in the leg followed up with a stomach shot then his dad took a shot at it missed. then they tracked it and he said but then I wanted to go to baseball practice so we left.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Most people, even some hunters do not understand the concept of death and how it occurs from gun shots. It is not like TV, animals, humans included do not always turn off like a light switch, at times even with a clean kill shot, there is twitching, convulsion like movements, death gurgles, a whole slew of things, it does not necessarily mean the shot was poor or the animal is suffering more than need be for the hunt. Also it is not a perfect world and shots do not always go exactly onto the mark, and the animal is wounded and you as a hunter must take all reasonable steps to end it's suffering. That is hunting, either you do it, or you buy it off the shelf and live in your pollyanna world. To think otherwise is Walt Disney movie material.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a hunter and I hunted yesterday.  I use a .308 Ruger 77 and ONLY go for head shots, for the reason you describe.  I hate deer running off, even if for a short way before they die.  If I am going to hunt, I am going to kill with one instantanous bullet.  If yall are wondering I took a doe out with an eye shot at 150 yards last night.  The shot entered the doe's left eye as it stared at me and exited out through its skull leaving a nice 3-4" exit wound at the back of its head.  I'll have pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#10]
"people tell me how they keep nailing the deer and then it takes off and they decide to go home"

5 rounds and he didn't even look for a blood trail? WTF?

I guess it all depends on whether you respect the animal or not.  With most people, the larger the animal is, the more likely that they don't want to see it suffer.

Example: Do you cringe when someone swats a fly, but only crushes its abdomen; thus leaving the fly with its digestive organs hanging out as it buzzes away to die a slow death?  I know I don't.

Yet, I admit that when I see a larger animal in the same state, I am much more likely to feel that its "suffering" should end.  

Is it because they may have a brain capable of feeling pain? Or because they are mammals? Or...?

I believe that it is most likely because people can identify with them better than other critters, and because the are more "visible".

However, some people see it like this: a fly = a mouse = a deer = any other animal.  I can also understand this line of thought--it is probably more logical anyway.

What does all this BS mean? I don't know; but there is a fly on my monitor that needs a good squish'n. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am a hunter and I hunted yesterday.  I use a .308 Ruger 77 and ONLY go for head shots, for the reason you describe.  I hate deer running off, even if for a short way before they die.  If I am going to hunt, I am going to kill with one instantanous bullet.  If yall are wondering I took a doe out with an eye shot at 150 yards last night.  The shot entered the doe's left eye as it stared at me and exited out through its skull leaving a nice 3-4" exit wound at the back of its head.  I'll have pics tomorrow.
View Quote

You'd shoot a nice buck in the head, too?
CR
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Last week was NJ's 6 day Deer Season w/o permits.  I skipped the first two day because everyone and their great grandmother is out in the woods, along with all the gun clubs who drive deer (that is not hunting!).

Can't says I am a expert hunter by no means, but I am a one shot kill hunter.  In the 4 square mile area I was hunting, I came across 3 deer that were wounded and never tracked by the hunters.  For each dear, I marked the location with my GPS for later retrieval.  2, I found dead, one with a lower stomach wound (could only imagine how painful this death was) and the other with a neck wound (bled out slowly).  The third dear was still alive with a wound to the right should (shatterd).  I dispatched the third dear with a 1 oz. slug.  I spent the rest on the day dragging dead dear out of the wood and loading my truck to take the remains to the local Conservation Officer.

It almost makes me want to give up hunting, for the sole reason I do not want to be associated with the idiots who are careless and unconcerned.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#13]
One box of ammo spent one week before opening day is not sufficient practice for one who only picks up the rifle at hunting season.  You must be practiced the rest of the year.

I am from the old school where shots were only taken when you knew you could place the bullet in the cervical vertabrae, brain or heart.  You don't aim at an animal, you aim for a part of the animal.  And know you can hit it.

This is why the lowly .22 Hornet can be successful on deer, legal in TX.  Of course I could also brain a squirrel at the same distance with that rifle.  

When someone thinks they need a .300 nonesuch magnum to hunt 100 pound deer, I cringe.  That is enough gun for 4 deer, provided you place the bullet correctly.

Its all a matter of bullet construction and accuracy, not down range energy, velocity and caliber.  That .22 Hornet does more damage than a .490" roundball going 2000 FPS although in most states, the muzzle loader is legal while the Hornet isn't.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#14]
OK...OK....

i'm 100% hunter..i chase everything..including peta pussies..

in the hundreds of deer i have shot..i have never shot more than 2 rounds into one. i rarely miss..but i hunt them very close(usually under 30 yards) and pick very careful shots.

i was raised to be a competitive marksman as well as a true sportsmen. not everybody spends as much time getting familiar with their guns as they should..and they should be flogged..for that.

but in all honesty-
one myth that stands..and is little known to those who havent shot alot of wild animals is that it isnt like the movies where the gun goes off and all you see is 4 feet in the air and the animal doesnt even kick.

only on a CNS shot will you get that. those are my favorite shots and are the shots of choice on a animal standing still..for many reasons..

but a heart shot deer will usually bolt straight ahead and some hunters..automatically go into a " zone" to put the animal down before it goes out of sight..into brush.

a running deer is a bitch to hit unless its under 30 yards..or so..
they dont run a line set down by a lazer..
they bob and weave and bounce usually with a lot of brush in the way...they seek out cover too.

the adrenaline rush..from a hunting situation is unbelievable and almost indescribable to those who havent experienced it first hand.

this myth is prepetuated by outdoor shows who "clense" the the hunt for TV so peta pussies wont raise hell.

that is a serious disservice to everyone.

F/S had a great interview with T. Nugent w while back that was excellent.

wild animals are tough sonsabitchs..they run..kick ...squirm..thrash..what ever it takes to get the hell out of dodge..once something goes wrong.

shooting at a animal in the wild under stress is a touch different that standing at the shooting bench backed off at 50 yards.

there are simply too many variables..in the fold.

you want tough..

try to get a one shot drop on a elk..it happens but it isnt the norm..

there are slob hunters which i detest..ther are always going to be slob hunters.

i once shot a hog that had 21 buckshot pellets in its hide as well as 2 jacketed pistol bullets..of a fairly large caliber..and 1 broadhead in it.

tough..i'd say so.

i've killed 4 deer with broadheads and or pieces of aluminum arrow inside the chest cavity.
1 deer with 2 .22 bullets in its hide.
1 deer with a .22 bullet almost healed inside the chest cavity.
1 deer with a piece of antler broken off in its gut. that was pretty nasty..it was a cull shot.

i had to out a buffalo down at the farm one time that "required" 3 shots froma 7mm mag..all while standing still..at 40 yards or so.

it just looked at me and snorted and blew snot a few times.
then he keeled over after i shot him in the neck.

the other fallicy is that all shots on a deer are hits..i can usually tell form the sound and string of the shots fired by someone else..whether the hunter got it..

volleys of fire are seldom successful.

wild animals..from bobcat on up usually dont have much respect for bullets of any kind.

another is that anyone using FMJ ammo on a large animal is insane and its usually against the law for the obvious reasons.

i chastize them at all costs whenever i hear stuff like that but in eastern OK..where people are usually knowledgeable about deer hunting, that is pretty rare.

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

God gave man dominion over the animals.  WIth that awesome power comes responsibility.  Part of that responsibility is not making them suffer unjustly!

SGtar15
View Quote

Amen, Sgt.  A man should have some respect for that animal that will (hopefully) feed him and his family.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

And if you want to mount the animal , where do you shoot it ???
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I try to be very respectful of the animals I kill. I use enough gun, and I refuse to shoot through brush or anything like that. If I feel I dont have a clean shot, I'll pass on it. I have passed on huge moose because there was a cow behind it and I know damn well that my .375 would go through the first. Hell, I've given up 5 moose in two seasons because I didnt want to risk the shot. Do I wish I had shot? No. I stand by my judgement. I may have bad luck, but thats no excuse for getting sloppy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, in the Kingdom of Mice, you are a war criminal!

Surrender now, or you will be ratted out by others!

Eric The(BTW,ElieWeaselIsLookingForYou!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

"Ratted out" by the Kingdom of mice!!?!!?!?!

BWAAAAAHAHAAHAHAAHHAH [LOL]

yer a very Punny guy!!!

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#20]
OK fellas, I shoot deer for the meat.  I ALWAYS either shoot them in the head or neck.  If it is a nice buck who's atlers I want, I will shoot it right where the neck meets the head.  That way it will die and the antlers arnt ruined.  You guys really need to see the pics tomorrow when I post them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#22]
amen beekeeper

i have seen a couple of deer with either the jaw or the side of the occipital wounded.

one had a perfect .50 caliber hole zipped thru the bottom lip..hanging.

people need to stick with the base o' the neck shots or center punching.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#23]
A couple guys were talking about hunting Prairie dogs with a belt fed 1919 Browning, This made me raise my eyes, and then I thought why didn't I think of that
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

And if you want to mount the animal , where do you shoot it ???
View Quote

If you're mounting dead deer, that is the least of your worries. [}:D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:04:03 AM EDT
[#25]
for the record..

a deer with a broken leg is nothing but bait for coyotes and feral dogs...

i have never seen one...live very long..after a serious injury that incapicitates their ability to move.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I hunt for venison,  really couldn't care less about the rack.  Mostly shoot spikes for that reason.

I'm a centerpunch kind of hunter,  every buck I've ever killed has been with a round to the spot behind the shoulder.  Never used more than one round, only had one go more than a hundred feet or so.

I tend to alternate guns,  hunting with a .270 this year.  Really too much gun.  My ideal Texas deer round is a  6.5x55.

I know plenty of slob hunter stories.  Opening day in Texas sounds like a wedding in Beiruit.  It's not  uncommon to hear one gun fire 8-10 rounds in a space of seconds.  We find a lot of wounded and dying  deer around the stock tanks. (uncle's ranch is surrounded by deer leases)  It's at it's worst during bow season.  We had so many carcasses one year we had to burn them.  Does, bucks, yearling fawns,  if it moved it was a target.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#27]
When I was a young man and first started hunting, I would be very anxious to get a shot off and my first deer suffered some, that was a valuable lesson for me, it made me realize the responsibility I have as a hunter to be safe and to have enough respect for the animal to only take a shot when the conditions are right and also to practice at the shooting range, as a result of my experience I have watched a few bucks walk away because I didn't have a clean and safe shot.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#28]
For the record, anyone that says they "only" take head or neck shots is as unresponable as the guy that dumps 5 shots into an animal with his sks and then goes home when he doenst find them in the first 5 minutes of looking. I am not saying that you should never take head shots as the situation should decide the best means to put the gamm down clean, but to only pursue those shots, well its just plain dumb.

Beside we all know that headshots are for snipers, not dear hunters![;)]

CH
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#30]
OK guys, You are pissing me off.  I ONLY take haed or neck shots because I am a perfect shot and I dont want to wound.  I practice often and I understand that if I miss that animal will suffer.  I can shoot a 1/2" group at 150 yard with my deer rifle.  I dont miss.  I never have.  I will post pics of my perfect shot in another thread so if you are going to call me inexperienced, do it on that thread.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OK guys, You are pissing me off.  I ONLY take haed or neck shots because I am a perfect shot and I dont want to wound.  I practice often and I understand that if I miss that animal will suffer.  I can shoot a 1/2" group at 150 yard with my deer rifle.  I dont miss.  I never have.  I will post pics of my perfect shot in another thread so if you are going to call me inexperienced, do it on that thread.
View Quote

OOOOKAAYYY!  [:K]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OK guys, You are pissing me off.  I ONLY take haed or neck shots because [red]I am a perfect shot and I dont want to wound[/red].  I practice often and I understand that if I miss that animal will suffer.  I can shoot a 1/2" group at 150 yard with my deer rifle.  I dont miss.  I never have.  I will post pics of my perfect shot in another thread so if you are going to call me inexperienced, do it on that thread.
View Quote

We are pissing you off? WGAF!

We are supposed to be impressed by your claim of a perfect shot? Give me break. When a keyboard commando claims shit like this, more
laugh then take it serious.

CH
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You think correctly, a good hunter should be able to take game in one shot, and have it die very quickly.  Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen and some animals get put down in ways that make any sportsman cringe.  At that point a lot of guys would shoot an animal repeatedly just to end its suffering.
View Quote

I have to wonder if SP10 did not put you up to this [:)]
View Quote

.............[LOLabove].....all I can say is you better not fake being dead around Ed and twitch. Trust me on that[BD]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I am not thrilled with guys hunting elephants or rhinos with bows and arrow or handguns.
That seems like just wanting to kill something.
Hunting for eating or pest control is more than ok.
Out here on the plains, deer and coyotes are like rabbits, they're everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Much the same as there are idiot drivers, idiot doctors, idiot parents...ad naseum, there are idiot hunters.

Also much the same, when there is a shooting incident, [b]we[/b] are the first group to decry that we shouldn't be painted with the same brush as the Malvos and Mohammeds.

Judge the individual.

All hunters shouldn't be painted with the same brush as the idiots just because we participate in the same endeavors.

I am a safe hunter, I practice my craft, ensure safety is first and use the proper tool for the task. If I take someone hunting, they will practice the same or it will be their last trip with me.

Sometimes the best shot is the one you don't take.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top