Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2003 6:14:47 AM EDT
customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SEX_TOYS_ARREST?SITE=CASAN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Dec 15, 7:38 PM EST

Woman Faces Charge for Selling Sex Toys

By ANGELA K. BROWN
Associated Press Writer

CLEBURNE, Texas (AP) -- Joanne Webb intended to spice up marriages and earn extra cash by selling erotic toys.

Instead, the former fifth-grade teacher and executive board member of the Burleson Chamber of Commerce faces criminal charges and embarrassment after a police sting.

"It's ludicrous to think that the government can step into our bedrooms," said Webb, who has been married 20 years and has three children.

Webb was one of 3,000 consultants for Passion Parties, a San Francisco-based company whose representatives set up Tupperware-type parties for women who feel more comfortable buying marital aids in a private home than at an adult bookstore or on the Internet.

"We're doing a wonderful service, and we're not doing anything wrong," company President Pat Davis said.

A consultant since June and the first Passion Parties' consultant charged with obscenity in the company's 10-year history, Webb was charged with a misdemeanor under the state's obscenity law.

Adult stores sell sex toys around the law by posting signs that say "sold only as novelties." Webb didn't do that and faces up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine if convicted.

Her attorney, BeAnn Sisemore, planned to file a motion Tuesday to dismiss the case on grounds the law violates someone's right to own a sexual device, which is not illegal.

Webb has taken a leave of absence from the chamber of commerce until the case is settled. She declined to say Monday if she plans to keep hosting parties.

"These devices that I sell are marital aids, and I want to help couples stay together," Webb said.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Didn't something like this happen last year in Tejas?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Are they sure the cops didn't want them for their own personal use? It is a damn good thing that those devices weren't equipped with a flash suppressor or bayonet lug and used in a drive by !! This country is in trouble.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:21:25 AM EDT
[#3]
America the Intrusive.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Texas is the buckle of the Bible belt. You can own all the guns you want, but sex toys are a no-no. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#5]

S.T.B. (Sex Toy Ban) is coming next. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I see sex toys walking around here all the time, and they don't get prosecuted [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe she should hire ETH.....

I'm willing to bet, he'd do this one for free!!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]
..........or take it out in trade!! [snoopy]!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a friend who's wife has been doing this same thing for a couple years now, and has a web site to sell the stuff too... hehe

I wonder if she's still in business...
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#10]
They're illegale here too.  Just another ridiculous law.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#12]
ETH, did you realize that college is full of walking sex toys? [;D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#13]
better go and have 'relations' with a member of the opposite sex, and soon..  

for it looks like that too will be outlawed!

and as for the police, I understand, they were only doing their job [rolleyes]

pretty safe bet to roll on a 'sting' operation (pun in there somewhere) vs a real 'get the bad guys off the street' kind of operation.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Texas is the buckle of the Bible belt. You can own all the guns you want, but sex toys are a no-no. [:D]
View Quote

Actually, it's OK to possess sex toys in Texas.  You just can't sell them.  Unless you possess six or more, then it's presumed that you're a dealer.

At least that's what [url=http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/pe/pe0004300.html#pe009.43.23]sec. 43.23 of the Penal Code[/url] says.

[butt-head emulation]uh... huh...  huh... you said "penal"... huh... huh[/butt-head emulation]

Some cop needs to get a life.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
But, judging by some folks' penchant for making every imaginable right a fundamental one, I suppose that it is a real possibility that y'all think buying dildoes was just the sort of right that the Founding Fathers pledged their lives, fortunes, and sacred honors!
View Quote

The same could be said of automobiles or food processors.

Sorry, that argument is extremely weak.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But, judging by some folks' penchant for making every imaginable right a fundamental one, I suppose that it is a real possibility that y'all think buying dildoes was just the sort of right that the Founding Fathers pledged their lives, fortunes, and sacred honors!
View Quote

View Quote

So you think there's a Constuitutional right to own food processors?  Talk about weak.

(Edited to add:  Of course, the right to travel has long been considered a fundamantal right, and there's the matter of interstate commerce, so cars aren't necessarily the same as food processors or sex toys.)
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Not weak at all.

Eric is right.  This is a matter to be determined by the Texas legislature and the citizens of Texas.

If the citizens don't like it, they can change the law.

It is none of the Federal Government's business.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Unless you are willing to say that there is a fundamental right to purchase sex-toys...
View Quote

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and [red][b]the pursuit of Happiness[/b][/red].
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you are willing to say that there is a fundamental right to purchase sex-toys...
View Quote

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and [red][b]the pursuit of Happiness[/b][/red].
View Quote

I believe they were refering to the right to own full-auto. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I'm with Kar, on this one!!! [:P]

(but, ya, the FED, has no business in this one)
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Neither does the state.......
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

So you think there's a Constuitutional right to own food processors?  Talk about weak.

(Edited to add:  Of course, the right to travel has long been considered a fundamantal right, and there's the matter of interstate commerce, so cars aren't necessarily the same as food processors or sex toys.)
View Quote

My point is common sense dictates one should be able to own all these things regardless of what the Constitution states is a fundamental right. I am not saying owning a car is a fundamental right, but all of us should be able to own one. I may not have been clear enough.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I can't believe they did a sting.  What a waste of resources by the police...
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Neither does the state.......
View Quote

exactly
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Ladies,
better get your purchases in early before PayPal bans it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Here in VA, sex with the lights on or in any position other than missionary is considered sodomy, and is subject to criminal penalties.  Also, it's illegal to tickle women.  Yet two more glorious victories in the land of the free. [rolleyes]

States rights is a proper legal position, but not tenable when considering the theme of the civil liberties afforded by the constitution.  The problem with the states rights position is that as long as the states don't trample on the rights INCORPORATED in the US constitution, they are free to persue a mob rules mentality.  Just about anything can be buried in a bill in a late night session.

I find it greatly interesting that the same states rights argument that people once loved as they were able to persue their agenda under that framework, is rejected once enough people in those states start successfully altering the agenda.  Then, those same people look to the constitution for 'protection'.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#28]
But aren't all sex toys 'novelty items'?

I am serious.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Legislating private lifestyle choices between consenting adults is absurd.

Contact your representative to change this if you don't like it? Nope...I'd just violate the law....and sleep quite well. The again, I wont have to do that, because I don't live in a state that legislates that particular flavor of lunacy.

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Call the Texas Rangers!!! You all are under arrest under this Texas law!

[b]It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing. [/b]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I guess I'll be the first on this one...

Will the items she sold up to this point be considered "pre-ban"? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The again, I wont have to do that, because I don't live in a state that legislates that particular flavor of lunacy.

View Quote

You sure about that?

Ever read Florida Statutes, Title XLVI, Chapter 798?  That's where your state legislature made shacking up or living in "open adultery" a crime.

Or how about sec. 847.0147?  That's the one that criminalizes phone sex.

Or maybe you prefer sec. 800.02.  That's the one that says "A person who commits any unnatural and lascivious act with another person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree...."

Or how about sec. 847.011 which criminalizes, among other things, the distribution of "any article or instrument for obscene use, or purporting to be for obscene use or purpose...."?

Just because it's seldom if ever enforced doesn't mean it's not on the books.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Jeepers, [b]JohnTheTexican[/b] nails another one through his deft use of the Internet!

[:D]

The Internet keeps all of us honest, I do believe!

Eric The(TickledPink)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Nails another what? That every state has fucked up laws?  wow, that's a real revelation.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
to dismiss the case on grounds the law violates someone's right to own a sexual device
View Quote

What? I guess that falls under the all inclusive pursuit of happiness section...?

The right to keep and bear giant pink dildos shall not be infringed?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
[url]http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SEX_TOYS_ARREST?SITE=CASAN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT[/url]

Dec 15, 7:38 PM EST

Woman Faces Charge for Selling Sex Toys

By ANGELA K. BROWN
Associated Press Writer

representatives set up [red]Tupperware-type parties [/red]for women who feel more comfortable buying marital aids in a private home than at an adult bookstore or on the Internet.

"
View Quote

around here, we call them [b]Fvcker-ware[/b] parties! [lol]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What you are listening to is the sound of 10,000 new Democrats who will flee the otherwise mostly normal Republican party due to perceived religious intrusion into their lives.

While I agree with ETH on principle of law I also think this one should be quickly abandoned as soon as possible.

Vibrators are not a public safety issue, this should never have become a law.
View Quote

Wow, imagine if we really only had laws based on public safety issues.  ETH likely wouldn't even have a job.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeepers, [b]JohnTheTexican[/b] nails another one through his deft use of the Internet!

The Internet keeps all of us honest, I do believe!

Eric The(TickledPink)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Nails another what? That every state has fucked up laws?  wow, that's a real revelation.
View Quote

Are you in need of some sort of remedial reading courses, or what? Sorry, but there is only so much I can do!

[b]M4[/b], said he doesn't live in a state that had such laws, and, [i]mirable dictu[/i], it appears that he does indeed live in such a state with such laws!

And [u]you[/u] do, as well!

Eric The(SoThere!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

And you act like this is some big coup.  Yippee.  Horray.  Texas is just as fucked up as every other place!  Woo hoo!  Where's the party?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Eric? red goat hasn't called you yet? He's in jail.........
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#44]
um WTF? this is screwed up in so many ways. what right does the government have to tell us what we can and cannot do in our bedrooms and what with? none. they can ban same sex marrages but they cant stop queers from gettin it on [puke]

wtf is the point of banning sex toys? is there even a passage in the bible that addresses sex toys? is it a moral thing?

give me a freakin break already. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Molon Labia!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The law prohibits [i]selling[/i] sex toys, not [i]using[/i] them!

Eric The(DildoesR'Us)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Ding ding ding!

The law doesn't intrude into the bedroom; it intrudes into the marketplace, along with a LOT of other laws.

Unless, of course, there are more than 6 of them in your bedroom, in which case I guess it can apply there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Molon Labia!!!
View Quote

[LOL][rofl][rofl2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#49]
It looked like there was an exemption in the Texas law for law enforcement use. WTF???

Could someone explain how a vibrator is used during law enforcement? Also, where are these usually carried on the belt?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Could someone explain how a vibrator is used during law enforcement?
View Quote

Surely you have heard of the "Good cop, bad cop" routine?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top