Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2001 4:48:09 AM EDT
I am fairly new into the Class III and I am doing a lot of reading...  I have a few questions on suppressors.  I am looking to get one for an AR-15.  

1.  Do they affect accuracy?  I have read that they may...  If so, how much?  Please explain.  

2.  Who do you recommend me looking at?  Any contact info would be very helpful.

3.  How much do they help with noise reduction?

Thanks for your help!

fuatos
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Accuracy - it really depends on what type of can you get.  If you get an old style MAC can with rubber "wipes" you will have some degredation in accuracy.  As the bullet passes through the can, it punches through several thin rubber walls (ie the wipes).  When these touch the bullet, they will slightly deflect the bullet.  Of course, these types of supressors were mostly used only on MACs, so its not like there was any long range accuracy in the first place.  Most cans these days have no wipes, but metal walls and baffles.   The bullet will pass through the hole in the baffles and not touch anything so there's not much of a degredation in accuracy.  I'm sure there's a little but it shouldn't be too much.

I'd recommend looking at Gemtech (www.gem-tech.com)  They make first rate stuff, and their customer service is second to none.  If you ever have a problem with a Gemtech, you can count on Doc Dater to set it right.  The Gemtech stuff is pricey, but it really is top notch - its pretty much the Mercedes Benz of supressors; expensive but you get what you pay for.  Their stuff is great.

AWC also makes nice stuff, but from what I've heard, their customer service is awful...unless you're a large police department and they're afraid of losing your account.  Some people will say they've had good service with AWC, but in almost 10 years of dabbling in NFA, I've heard much more bad about their customer service than good. Not that their stuff isn't good - it is - but I'd want to know the manufacturer is going to back up his products.

There's also a lot of good quality stuff from small manufacturers - I could probably recommend some more.  It really depends on what you're looking to put the supressor on.  What gun (or guns) are you planning on putting the supressor on?

...and just for full disclosure; I don't own any supressors, so I don't have an axe to grind.  But after almost 10 years in NFA stuff, I have shot lots of them and talked to many owners.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I was planning on using it on a couple of Pre-ban AR's, an SP-1 and a DPMS.  I would be interested in some of the smaller shops too.

Thanks,

fuatos
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard really good things about the Triple-X cans by Mike Klos at American Manufacturing. From what I've heard, they are heavy steel construction, and will really take a beating - even in full auto.  They're also quite affordable - I think about $200-300, as compared to the $600-700 for a Gemtech M4-96D.  I came VERY close to getting one, but decided I really need a can that will disassemble so I can clean it - his don't, they are a sealed can.  Although its not really an issue if you're just shooting in .223, I'd be doing that and a lot of shooting from my American 180 through it, so I was afraid all that .22 would gunk the thing up too quickly if I couldn't get it apart to clean.

His website is at www.american-manufacture.com

Link Posted: 5/12/2001 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Suppressors have more potential than they have been used. The net reduction in sound varies with each caliber, weapon, elevation from sea level, temperature and air pressure also.

The suppressor i have for my M4 is made here locally by Ase Utra and based on the preliminary tests it is up to par with any American high technology suppressor.

Some good points about them:

1. They usually affect accuracy positively, especially on larger caliber weapons since it is easier to shoot.

2. And if the point of aim changes when you have the suppressor on, just sight in the sights again.

3. With a good suppressor you are under the 140 dB limit, usually the point for hearing damage.

And the benefits for LE or military use are more crucial.

1. Sound signature changes so the position of the shooter is mixed.
2. Firing signature dimished, no debree flying cause of muzzle blast, muzzle flash is also reduced much.
3. Firing a .223 or .308 weapon indoors without a suppressor can usually lead to bleeding from ears and nose if in the immediate proximity.

Link Posted: 5/12/2001 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Firing a .223 or .308 weapon indoors without a suppressor can usually lead to bleeding from ears and nose if in the immediate proximity.
View Quote

Hey Tuukka - it can also lead to bleeding from lots of other places, depending on how good a shot you are!

Hahahahahahahaha....

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, but kinda hard to shoot the bad guys when you have s*** pouring from everywhere in your head and you feel like you´ve been hit with a hammer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#7]
^BTT^
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top