Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2019 1:04:35 AM EDT
I know stupid question but I just talked with an FFL who runs his firearm business and uses Paypal to accept payments just about everyday. He says gun transactions are no problem and people put the info in the notes section and he's never had an issue, they even list the Gunbroker auction numbers in the payment section without issue. He said he's been using Paypal for a few years now and has never been contacted by them. Did Paypal lighten up or is he just the luckiest firearm dealer on the planet?
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 1:08:04 AM EDT
[#1]
He just hasn't rolled snake eyes yet
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]
At the end of the day, money talks and bullshit walks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#3]
What processor isn't anti gun ?
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 1:11:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
If you don’t put that it’s for gun shit in your invoice, they’ll never know
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#5]
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/acceptableuse-full

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (e) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you don’t put that it’s for gun shit in your invoice, they’ll never know
View Quote
They must know he has it setup so its auto checkout through gunbroker. They will see pistols, rifles, shotguns sales etc.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 1:14:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What processor isn't anti gun ?
View Quote
This

Couldn't get a processor that would work with a firearm accessories startup company, except for PayPal, but they don't ask questions...
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 1:16:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 3:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]
they will never be gun friendly

buy something from him & make sure to mention icky gun stuff in notes.

but seriously...dont do that
he has just been really lucky
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Does a bear still shit in the woods?

ETA: From what I've heard, Paypal doesn't pay much attention to your account unless someone raises a dispute. Although I did have a transaction get flagged when some guy put something in the notes section. I denied all knowledge of the transaction by rejecting it as being delivered to the wrong person, and then he played it off by claiming it was for airsoft. Since then I'm money orders only.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 6:03:56 AM EDT
[#11]
As far as I know, it still is. As a processor with hundreds of millions of transactions every day, Paypal is using things like bots to detect certain keywords and item numbers. It would seem that it's only a matter of time before this dealer is caught.

I use it for GunBroker and other firearms-related transactions, and a few times customers have recklessly ignored my warnings and put firearms-related terms or GB item numbers in the memo and nothing bad happened. Paypal is too convenient for me to risk my account being suspended, deleted, or my funds being delayed by not putting forth a little effort to be discreet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 6:05:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#13]
A leopard doesn't change it's spots.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#14]
They still claim to be anti but I've bought guns from Academy with Paypal and I've seen a few other places using it. Honestly I think it's only a matter of time till they get negative attention and get their money frozen. Did it more as an FU.

ETA: Want to buy a 9mm gatling gun with Paypal?

https://tippmannarmory.com/gatling-gun/

Lol, their price went up quite a bit since they got some positive media.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I actually get satisfaction using anti-gun companies like PayPal to pay for gun stuff.  In my mind ther is a liberal dbag somewhere looking at my PSA transactions while yelling at the clouds.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
3% is 3%
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Discretion works extremely well.  Don't ask, don't tell.  Use their convenient resources under the radar.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, as far as I know...
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Opticsplanet accepts PayPal.

If Paypal won't allow gun part purchases, how does that work?
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/acceptableuse-full

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (e) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.
He better transfer the days income to his bank or he’ll wake up broke one day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@5pt56
View Quote
I sold a SWAN rail back in October or November time frame. The buyer put "swan rail" in the comments. I didn't think much of it and went about life.

Fast forward to the beginning of this month and I logged into my PayPal and an "error" message showed up that said you no longer have access to PayPal and we have cancelled your account and froze all of your PayPal balance for 180 days.

So I called them and asked why they did that. The lady on the phone said "Do you realize that a swan rail is used to make a deadly sniper rifle more accurate and lethal and that it can fire nuclear projectiles, large caliber rounds or other explosives". Seriously. That's exactly what she said. She then proceeded to tell me that at PayPal they are committed to making the community and neighborhoods a safer place.

She told me I could email them to try and explain and reinstate my account. She explained that they have a bunch of words that are in their database and that if any of them come up that they can and will most likely cancel that person's account.

I read the banner that is now on my account and it also states that they are making the community a safer place. I was told that my balance  ($800) is frozen for 180 days and that after that time period they will send me an email with instructions of how to get my money.

After further investigation, after the fact, PayPal apparently supports and funds several large " gun control " lobbyists and other campaigns like the Brady campaign.

I found out last week that a friend of mine had the same thing happen and they are holding  $2300 of his money for 180 days.

It's sad at how misinformed PayPal is. They also own Venmo so as a word of caution. I'll use cash app or Zelle now. Even if they reinstate my account, I can't use them in good conscious.

Reading through this thread, I have no clue how the FFL gets away with it other then PayPal still wants to make money at the end of the day so if "they get theirs " then they leave it alone. Does it make sense? Nope....
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They must know he has it setup so its auto checkout through gunbroker. They will see pistols, rifles, shotguns sales etc.
View Quote
I don't know how he is doing that.  Paypal isn't an accepted payment gateway on gunbroker.  You have to sign up with an actual credit card processor.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't know how he is doing that.  Paypal isn't an accepted payment gateway on gunbroker.  You have to sign up with an actual credit card processor.
View Quote
Found out he sends his info to the customer and they send him Paypal with the listing info in the notes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top