Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 4:51:27 PM EDT
OK, I've got a friend that says that some Leos have flashlights, clipboards, etc with a breathalizer like thing in them.  It can be activated while talking to the motorist (unbeknownst to the motorist), and if the alarm is triggered, then there's probable cause to go farther.  Any truth in this?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, on my home planet Bluthor, these devices are quite common, and often concealed in ordinary appliances like como-ray generators, gizmons, and deracinators. Be very careful. Never exhale in the presence of a police officer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen write-ups on the flashlight kind but I haven't seen them in person. Hell, we don't even have the portable breath testers in the cars.

Karl
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Once your breathe leaves you...it is open territory, yes there are some new ones that are like you say. Don't drink and drive and we will not stop you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
If you keep pennies in your mouth (old ones, real copper) it defeats the stealth breathalyzers.
It doesn't help with the tube ones, though.

Don't do shit for the blood test, either.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I do believe there is a device that confirms an "alcohlic" odor that may assist officers in establishing reasonable belief. Far short of a "breathalyzer".
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The leo's mdc is hooked up to a satellite.

This satellite can/has tracked your movements for 72 hrs prior to the stop.The man knows where you have been, done, etc.

The mdc also works as an xray/mri/ultrasound machine.It can detect your bladder and stomach contents.The only drawback is that it can see you naked.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, on my home planet Bluthor, these devices are quite common, and often concealed in ordinary appliances like como-ray generators, gizmons, and deracinators. Be very careful. Never exhale in the presence of a police officer.
View Quote

Well golly gee, I guess you don't have to live on Bluthor afterall!  apparently there is such a thing as this device...  
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#8]
OK first things first, I don't drink and drive.  I was just curious if what I was told is true (which apparently, it is..) and furthermore was curious if this was exploiting one of those semi legal grey areas...

no tin foil hat here....
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you keep pennies in your mouth (old ones, real copper) it defeats the stealth breathalyzers.

View Quote

Ahh, the old penny myth.  Buddy, it does not help.  It may even cause a HIGHER reading.

There is a flashlight out there that detects the odor of alcohol. Quite expensive, and it does the same thing my nose does,  so why bother with it?  It's just something for those guys that love gadgets.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#10]
yes it is true.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Once your breathe leaves you...it is open territory, yes there are some new ones that are like you say. Don't drink and drive and we will not stop you.
View Quote

unless there's a "safety" checkpoint...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
yes it is true.
View Quote

"It's Twoo! It's Twoo!"

"That's my arm, Lady."
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep some of that Binaca Breath Spray in your car where you can grab it quick. Use it just before speaking to anyone. It works on breathalyzers too![;)]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted: "Don't drink and drive and we will not stop you."

Okay, that sounds all well and good.  But what about the times when I'm not drunk at the wheel.  You jerkies still like to pull me over.  How can I put a stop to that?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Keep some of that Binaca Breath Spray in your car where you can grab it quick. Use it just before speaking to anyone. It works on breathalyzers too![;)]
View Quote

Isn't that like advertising you've been drinking to a cop?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted: "Don't drink and drive and we will not stop you."

Okay, that sounds all well and good.  But what about the times when I'm not drunk at the wheel.  You jerkies still like to pull me over.  How can I put a stop to that?
View Quote

1. Trade the Maverick in on a 92 Taurus

2. Wear a T-shirt that covers your nipple piercings

3. Try [i]black[/i] laces in your Doc Martens

4. Use Hair-in-a-Can or scraps of cloth to disguise the bare spots on either side of your Mohawk ridge.

Yours in futility,
FLAL1A
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#17]
You can get one through Galls good for schools and stuff it claims. we have them for our department and do use them. Yellow or Gray in color flashlight on one end breath meter on the other end acurate +or- .01 when used before an intoxilizer 5000 range of about 36inches beter reading at 8 to 16 inches cost about $150.00 do I ever use it? only when i have a cold and my nose is all stuffed up which it is most of the cold season I love the thing.....
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

God!  First the penny and now this.  You guys really need to do some research and stop listening to your buddies in the bar.
1. We go on a lot more than whether you have bad breath. Breath spray, cinnamon gum, pennies etc. are not going to cover the fact you pissed your pants and cannot stand up straight.
2. Bianca breath spray (as do most of them) has an alcohol base. Thank you for doubling your  apparent BAC
3. If you have been drinking heavily, your ENTIRE body smells of alcohol. It comes out thru your sweat. I've had DWI's I could smell just being downwind while getting out of the patrol car.  Going to bathe during your traffic stop? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That response is hilarious..............

OTOH [url]3dmonth.org/detecting_pasinternational.cfm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I saw that once on Mythbusters. They swigged some mouthwash and took a breathalyzer right after, and they pegged like .4% or so (they were actually around .1%). Nothing else had any effect whatsoever on the breathalyzer. Mabye you could just... oh, I don't know... not drive drunk?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know that seems like a harmless wive's tale. Until you hear an officer yelling for an ambulance, because the guy he just arrested for DUI, has a bunch of change in his wind-pipe.

It also doesn't work.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

God!  First the penny and now this.  You guys [red]really need to do some research[/red] and stop listening to your buddies in the bar.
1. We go on a lot more than whether you have bad breath. Breath spray, cinnamon gum, pennies etc. are not going to cover the fact you pissed your pants and cannot stand up straight.
2. Bianca breath spray (as do most of them) has an alcohol base. Thank you for doubling your  apparent BAC
3. If you have been drinking heavily, your ENTIRE body smells of alcohol. It comes out thru your sweat. I've had DWI's I could smell just being downwind while getting out of the patrol car.  Going to bathe during your traffic stop? [:D]
View Quote

Back in the day, I did the research.....

John's right!!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

God!  First the penny and now this.  You guys really need to do some research and stop listening to your buddies in the bar.
1. We go on a lot more than whether you have bad breath. Breath spray, cinnamon gum, pennies etc. are not going to cover [red]the fact you pissed your pants[/red] and cannot stand up straight.
View Quote

Hate to hijack the thread, but this reminds me of a good war story.

Back when I was slinging a gun for a living, I got a call to a private bar where a drunk was beating on the door wanting admittance.

I parked and got out and walked up to him and tapped him on the shoulder.  I could smell him from the street, he was so drunk.

He turned around, but started cussing me as he was too drunk to even tell that I was a police officer.  I grabbed him and slung him around to the patrol car and told him to put his hands on the trunk.

About this time, he sobered up enough to realize he was headed to jail. As he stood there with his hands on the trunk and his legs spread, he suddenly said, "Oh! Shit!"  Then he did.

You could see the entire rear of his pants turn brown all the way down to the ground.  The smell staggered me.  I asked him if he wanted to go home.  He said, "Yea, call me a taxi".  I started laughing and called the dispatcher and told her to send a taxi.  And I said, "Tell them to hurry.  This guy is trying to leave."

My Sargeant radioed back, "If he's trying to leave, put him in your car and take him in."  I said, "Come by, Sarge."

When the Sarge drove up, he took one look and said, "I've never seen such a mess."  About that time, the taxi drove up and I told the driver to take the guy home.

The guy thanked me profusely and got in the cab.  As it drove off, we could see the driver turn around suddenly and look at the guy in terror.

Oh well, it's a crappy job.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Hate to hijack the thread, but this reminds me of a good war story.

blah, blah, blah. ...
View Quote

Hey!!  For you guys who like to drive and drink, I think [b]Old_Painless[/b] has finally shown you a workable way of not getting locked up!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Did I ever tell you guys about the time I was all fucked up and i was beating on the door of this private bar when this cop drives up.......

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I always carry a closed bottle of scotch in the car with me. If I get pulled over I get out of the car and slam down half the bottle and say, Damn I needed this because you are going to give me a ticket for speeding and this will help calm my nerves.

How are they going to prove I did not drink after I quit driving and got out.

Sure they might shoot me, but better that than a drunk driving conviction.

Above post for educational and discussion purposes only, any resemblence to real actions taken by anyone in the past is just a coincedence.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

God!  First the penny and now this.  You guys really need to do some research and stop listening to your buddies in the bar.[:D]
View Quote

Calibrate the old sarcasm guage, OK?
Just playin, both of us.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OK, I've got a friend that says that some Leos have flashlights, clipboards, etc with a breathalizer like thing in them.  It can be activated while talking to the motorist (unbeknownst to the motorist), and if the alarm is triggered, then there's probable cause to go farther.  Any truth in this?
View Quote

Yes, there are alcohol sensing flashlights. Unaware of any court that considers them an accurate indicator of BAC though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#29]
David
   Dont know if that really works in NE but here in Mo thatll get you a DWI.Just ask my buddy.He received his 2nd DWI for doing just what you posted.Cop just laughed and slapped the cuffs on.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#30]
I read an article in the newspaper about a year ago about the flashlight with the detector in the end.  It is not a breathalyzer, but an alcohol detector - that is, it gives no actual BAC reading, just alerts the officer to the presence of alcohol fumes in the air.

They interviewed a state trooper (can't remember what state) that was issued one of these lights as part of a test program.  He told them how the first night he was using the light he pulled over an 18-wheeler.  He was standing on the ground talking to the driver sitting in the cab when the light alerted him to alcohol fumes.  He couldn't smell them until he had the driver step down from the cab.

Not surprisingly, the rest of the article was about how the ACLU was protesting the use of these lights as an "illegal search."

Dave
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:07:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Guys, I wouldn't try using the crapping your pants act, either. All that will get you around here is an all-expenses-paid trip to the hospital ER and the Officer obtaining a blood sample instead of being taken to the station and an breath test. As well as being able to get a BAC reading, a blood sample will detect if you have any, uh, other things in your system. If you crap your pants, it's a pretty good sign that you're so drunk that you're close to alcohol poisoning, according to Dept Policy, hence the hospital trip instead of the Station. We don't want the liability if you should pass out and hurt yourself. Also, if you get taken to the ER, you stay until your blood-alcohol level is .000 instead of being released to family or friends after getting your citations like you can by being taken to the PD. Depending on your BAC content, this can be 10-12 hours. Liability problem for the hospital if you're released while still drunk, dontcha know. That's how it works around here, anyway, YMMV. The simplest solution is, don't drink and drive or have a designated driver. If you're afraid of a checkpoint, listen to your local news. The PD's are required to announce beforehand the locations and times of DUI checkpoints. Hope this helps.

Bub
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top