Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 2:09:08 PM EDT
So on Saturday, I decide to go get a flu shot after seeing all the news about how bad the virus is this season.  No big deal.  Shots don't bother me, and I'd rather not end up in the hospital.

I wake up this morning sicker than a dog.

Bastard viruses.

Hopefully this will be a quick thing and won't last for a week.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought that's how the shots worked. They introduce the virus to your body along with the antigens, maybe it's just the antigens which shouldn't cause the symptoms. But I thought they stimulated your Humoral Immune Response so you have those memory cells which create antibodies to fight off the infection next time you're exposed, it may have been too late for you and you were already infected before your body could build up the cells to create antibodies.

I've already had it once this year, hopefully I can stay flu-free the rest of the season.

Get well soon Bru,

[:)]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#2]
why pay 10-15 for a shot and get it!
be like me and get it for free!![:X*]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You’re lucky you found a flu shot to begin with.

Here in the DC area, the supplies have just about totally dried up.

This flu season seems to be getting off to a pretty scary start!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I've heard it takes from 7 to 14 days before the shot starts protecting you.  Might have just gotten the flu.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll tell you what happened: You contracted influenza sitting in the docs office.
Damn, we getcha one way or another!

Assuming of course you actually have influenza and not some other illness there is hope. I recently posted about treatemnt of influenza and if this is the case and you get treatemnt early it can help decrease symptoms and shorten the course of your illness. The longer you wait the less it helps.

Do a search for my flu thread or search under my name and you will find it. I am going to bed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#6]
brouhaha, it's not a live virus vaccine, so it can't give you the flu...but the stimulation of your immune system by the shot *can* produce flu like symptoms for a couple of days afterwards.  Or, as a couple of folks mentioned, you could have gotten the flu coincidentally to getting the shot when you did.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
brouhaha, it's not a live virus vaccine, so it can't give you the flu...but the stimulation of your immune system by the shot *can* produce flu like symptoms for a couple of days afterwards.  Or, as a couple of folks mentioned, you could have gotten the flu coincidentally to getting the shot when you did.  
View Quote

Exactly. The flu can/does incubate for 8-12 days. You may have already had it, and it is just coincidentally showing itself. Or, as Fenian said, you may just be feeling the symptoms from the shot.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly. The flu can/does incubate for 8-12 days. You may have already had it, and it is just coincidentally showing itself. Or, as Fenian said, you may just be feeling the symptoms from the shot.
View Quote

Influenza has a very brief incubation period. 6-18 hours in general but may go out to 48 hrs rarely(probably if you get a very small infectious dose.)
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Influenza has a very brief incubation period. 6-18 hours in general but may go out to 48 hrs rarely(probably if you get a very small infectious dose.)
View Quote

Well, I's just goin by what the Doc told the Mrs.'s when she got her shot a week ago. [BD]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I've taken the flu shot for the past 10 years. I've never had any ill effects from it nor have I ever had the flu.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Well, I's just goin by what the Doc told the Mrs.'s when she got her shot a week ago. [BD]
View Quote

None of us know it all. I know I sure don't.[;)]
I worked with a doc once who told me he never missed a diagnosis! Now that is scary.
Not only that but I saw plenty of his patients in follow up and I can most emphatically state that, yes he did!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife is going back to school to become a nurse (she has a MSW which is worth zip) so she felt qualified to give the family the flu shots.

I made her give HER kids their shots 1st-she wasn't going to practice on me. [puke]

No sign of any of us getting ill from it. YET
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

None of us know it all. I know I sure don't.[;)]
[red]I worked with a doc once who told me he never missed a diagnosis! Now that is scary. [/red]
Not only that but I saw plenty of his patients in follow up and I can most emphatically state that, yes he did!
View Quote

That is scary indeed!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I just read an article that states that this years flu shots are less than 50% efective. Says they had to make a choice and they made the wrong one. Still went and got one. Who knows, I may be one of the luckey 49.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top