Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 12:39:19 PM EDT
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105759,00.html

Pretty gutsy to criticize the Catholic Church while performing at THE VATICAN !!!

Lauryn Hill Criticizes Church During Vatican Concert

Monday, December 15, 2003

VATICAN CITY  — During a Christmas benefit concert at the Vatican (search), Grammy-winning singer Lauryn Hill (search) launched into an unscheduled tirade against priests who abuse children, according to news reports Sunday.

Hill read a statement criticizing the church and its leaders during the Saturday night concert, where she was a featured performer.

Several Italian newspapers on Sunday ran translations of the statement, which was delivered in English. They quoted her as saying there was "no acceptable explanation for defending the church."

"I realize some of you may be offended by what I'm saying, but what do you say to the families who were betrayed by the people in whom they believed?" La Repubblica newspaper quoted her as saying.

There was no immediate response Sunday to calls seeking comment from Hill's label, New York-based Columbia Records (search).

Prelates in the audience included Cardinal Camillo Ruini (search), the pope's vicar for Rome and the head of the Italian bishops' conference, and his deputy, Monsignor Rino Fisichella. The pope did not attend. The Vatican said Sunday it had no comment.

Hill, a former member of the rap trio the Fugees, set a record for female artists in 1999 when she won five Grammy awards for "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
[url=www.castle-hams.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=218920]El Posto Duplicato.[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
She's a silly slut, and this is a dupe topic! IBTL
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[url=www.castle-hams.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=218920]El Posto Duplicato.[/url]
View Quote

Hehe

IBTL
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, kinda like Michael Moore's speech.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Gutsy?

How about LOW CLASS?

IBTL...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gutsy?

How about LOW CLASS?

IBTL...
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it was gutsy. Why do a lot of Catholics abuse children?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gutsy?

How about LOW CLASS?

IBTL...
View Quote

I wasn't attempting to cast any type of positive light on her actions..... but it definitely takes balls to openly criticize the Catholic Church when you are an invited guest at the freakin' Vatican !

I do think that the actions of the Catholic Church in regards to the child abuse scandals was absolutely reprehensible. That in no way implies that CATHOLICS are to blame, but rather the Leadership inside the Church.

While it may have not been the best approach, to openly criticize them while at the Vatican takes guts.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot of Catholics abuse children? Are you serious? This is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've read here on AR15.com. Honestly.

Find me a statistic --anywhere-- that shows a higher incidence of child abuse among Catholics than any other group. Back up what you say, if you can.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Define "a lot".  There are far more youth group leaders, coaches, teachers, babysitters and camp counselors who abuse childern but they fail to draw attention.  

Blaming the Pope is irresponsible at best since the Pope knew NOTHING of the problem.  A few bishops were the reason for the repeated offenses and part of that blame is the indoctrination of the church in blaming the problem on sin.  Its not only a sin, its a DISEASE and forgiveness of the SIN is not going to cure the DISEASE.  The church now knows of the disease and is actively treating the problem AND isolating the offenders toprevent any repeat offenses.  Furthermore, seminarians are now carefully screened to prevent these sickos from ever being ordained.  I dare say there is no other faith doing more to protect and prevent child abuse.

When you look at the breakdown of child abusesr, clergy, regardless of faith, ranks at the bottom of professions committing the offenses.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gutsy would have been to decline the invitation and hold a press conference explaining why.  

Would it have been gutsy if she was invited to the White House to sing at a Christmas concert and slammed the President for OIF or his tax cuts?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot of Catholics abuse children? Are you serious? This is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've read here on AR15.com. Honestly.

Find me a statistic --anywhere-- that shows a higher incidence of child abuse among Catholics than any other group. Back up what you say, if you can.
View Quote

I didn't mean Catholics in general. I meant Catholic priests.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gutsy?

How about LOW CLASS?

IBTL...
View Quote

I wasn't attempting to cast any type of positive light on her actions..... but it definitely takes balls to openly criticize the Catholic Church when you are an invited guest at the freakin' Vatican !

I do think that the actions of the Catholic Church in regards to the child abuse scandals was absolutely reprehensible. That in no way implies that CATHOLICS are to blame, but rather the Leadership inside the Church.

While it may have not been the best approach, to openly criticize them while at the Vatican takes guts.
View Quote

Sorry, but you're dead wrong.

What risk did she take? She's probably the talk of the Hollywood set right now, and the LAST place she would have gotten the ass-kicking she deserves is at the Vatican because, with all its problems, the Vatican and the faith it represents is overwhelmingly peaceful.

So no, she showed no guts whatsoever. There was no risk for her.

Tell her to go to Riyadh and preach the Gospel on a street corner with her face uncovered. THAT would be gutsy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#14]
well, I'll chime in with an IBTL, and, also...

who the fark is she other than some ugly-ass-no-talent-wannabe-singer?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#15]
She's a piece of shit. Wasn't she with the Fu- something and said white people shouldn't buy their albums?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:01:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I didn't mean Catholics in general. I meant Catholic priests.
View Quote

Okay, please quote a statistic on the percentage of Catholic priests who have abused children. Is "a lot" 30%? 20%? 10%? How about the percentage of child abusers who are Catholic priests? Is that 50%? 25%? 10%? Do you have any idea what you're talking about, or have you formed an uneducated opinion from something you saw on NightLine one night?

Anyone who harms a child should be fed into a woodchipper feet first, and anyone who shields a child abuser should go into the chipper with the abuser. I've left the Catholic church because of the way this tragedy was handled, but until you can talk intelligently about the numbers I asked for above, you should be a little more careful.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:39:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gutsy?

How about LOW CLASS?

View Quote

I was going to say the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:41:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
She's a piece of shit. Wasn't she with the Fu- something and said white people shouldn't buy their albums?
View Quote

Quote with link????
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Guts would have been going to a group of Moslems and telling them they are nuts for blowing up defenseless people.
Low class is what she did and what she is.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:45:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Who cares what that bitch has to say!  She couldn't even remember the words to the National Anthem when she was asked to sing it, and she didn't have the decency to show up for the honor with sound mind.  She was drugged off her ass.

She's just a dirty, ugly, druggy, skank.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:50:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Okay, please quote a statistic on the percentage of Catholic priests who have abused children. Is "a lot" 30%? 20%? 10%? How about the percentage of child abusers who are Catholic priests? Is that 50%? 25%? 10%?
View Quote

I have to second jarhead here, the use of the words "a lot" is definitely not correct.

1 abusive catholic priest (or youth worker, or care worker, etc) is both "a lot" and "too many", but I dont think that the number of abusers is any greater than that in any other walk of society. The only thing that makes the priests stand out is their abuse of trust and their position of power.

The church should have handled it a lot better.

By the way, seeing as we're starting up the woodchipper, do the hogs prefer their long-pig chipped or whole?

/PHil
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

As someone who was raised Catholic, I respectfully differ  in my opinion. At the Catholic church, school and H.S. I attended, it was common knowledge which priests and brothers were drunks, panderers, gays  or molesters. The parishes and the parents who were paying big buck$ for their kids schooling, always let it slide.

In fact, the Chicago Archdiocise has had a  special  retreat / treatment centerfor troublesome priests for decades. In any complaints were actually lodged, the priest would quietly go "on retreat", never to return to his original parish. But after a  few months , they'd be assigned to another parish, and the cycle would continue.
The problems with the Church are the direct results of generations of parishiners  treating priests as near-godlike beings, above all reproach, and letting  them  get away with behavior/crimes that would land anybody else in jail.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Okay, please quote a statistic on the percentage of Catholic priests who have abused children. Is "a lot" 30%? 20%? 10%? How about the percentage of child abusers who are Catholic priests? Is that 50%? 25%? 10%? Do you have any idea what you're talking about, or have you formed an uneducated opinion from something you saw on NightLine one night?

Anyone who harms a child should be fed into a woodchipper feet first, and anyone who shields a child abuser should go into the chipper with the abuser. I've left the Catholic church because of the way this tragedy was handled, but until you can talk intelligently about the numbers I asked for above, you should be a little more careful.
View Quote

1% is to much.

The Catholic church LEADERSHIP has handled the molestation charges VERY BADLY. There is repeated evidence of suspected Priests being moved from Dioceses to Dioceses only to "allegedly" molest other children in other cities rather than confronting the charges.

This is the fault of the Bishops, the Arch-Bishops all the way up the chain of command to the Pope.

As I said before 1% is to many. I can't give you hard numbers either, but in my 39 years on this planet I KNOW that "where there is smoke there is fire" I've seen to much smoke coming from the Catholic church lately for this to be a smear campaign.

I say that "dirty, druggy, nasty, ugly, skank" borrowed somebody's balls and spoke the truth to the people who needed to hear it.

Would I have done it the same way, no probably not.

But will I condemn her for it? NOPE.

BRA freakin VO!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey, this thread looks familiar...De-ja-voo.
I hadn't heard about her screwing up the national anthem. That pisses me off even more. Wow, I'm really not liking that woman right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top