Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 10:28:19 AM EDT
What is your average life you get out of your wallets?  I was given a nice leather wallet for Christmas 4 years ago.  Well,  the thing is literally in tatters and falling apart.  I had to buy a new one,  I went from a tri-fold to a bi-fold this time to help eliminate some of the "wallet butt" I was getting from the other one.

Anyway,  I am having a really hard time getting used to this new wallet,  my old one and I just fit really well together.  I got so damned used to that old wallet I put off buying a new one for a long time.  Anyone else get attached to their wallets or is it just me?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#1]

My wife gave me my wallet as a gift back when we where dating   back in '92 !!!!!!!!!!!

its still in "pretty good shape.. im trying to find a brand name on it.. < looking > cant find one..

this thing has been in the lake MANY times..
oh I know what you mean about getting used ot it..

'92 - '04 < basicly ;) > thats a long time..

edited to add pics:

well maybe its not that well off after all [:D]

[img]http://www.iownjoo.com/freeimghost/aaadock/wallet1(09).jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.iownjoo.com/freeimghost/aaadock/wallet2(10).jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate it when it's time for a new wallet. I can never find one just like the old one. I always have to develop a new "system". They like a new holster you have to sit on this stiff uncomfortable lump of animal hide for a few months till it breaks in to the contour of your hiney.

The man is keeping me down.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know the average life expectancy
of one,

but my GF bought me a nice Coach leather wallet, about a year ago,

and this puppy holds up.

It looks just like the day I got it.

it gets a thumbs up
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#4]

My wallet's going on 11. A little beat up but it still does the job.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll second the Coach wallet.  My ex got me mine even before we were married (5/6 yrs ago) and only the corners where it folds are showing any wear.

You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#6]
going on 6 years now. the poor little thing is barely able to keep from falling apart. i've been looking for a new one, but can't find any i like. i thought about going the minimalist route, and just getting one of those timy things that just hold cash, DL, carry license, and a debit card.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had mine since I was about 8, so it's about 12 years old now. It's one of the police wallets with the basketweave. It has a place to put a 7-prong badge, a flap for cards, two hidden pockets for cards, and has two card holders with plastic over them for ID cards.

This sucker takes a punishment and is still in great condition.. not bad for a 12 year-old.

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~leelaw/wallet1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~leelaw/wallet2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~leelaw/wallet3.jpg[/img]

Edited to add pictures.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is your average life you get out of your wallets?  

Anyone else get attached to their wallets or is it just me?
View Quote

I usually get 4 or 5 years out of one.  It can be a pain trying to find a new one that meets my criteria, and I dread making the transfer of contents.

DrMark
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Coach wallet, given to me for Christmas from my then future wife in 1998.

[img]pweb.netcom.com/~mattja/pics/100_0021_25.jpg[/img]
[img]pweb.netcom.com/~mattja/pics/100_0025_25.jpg[/img]
[img]pweb.netcom.com/~mattja/pics/100_0027_25.jpg[/img]

Not exactly in great shape.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a really odd Dockers leather trifold.  It opens like a trifold but is a bifold with a flap that goes upward.

Anyhow, I've had it over 11.5 years and it's in the middle of falling apart.  I figure I'll have it for another 6-18 months before I get a new one.

I'm not so much "attached" to this particular wallet as I am to it's design.  It holds everything nicely, and I carry a lot of odd cards in it.  (Six ccw permits with more coming!)  If I found another one like it, I'd get the new one immedately.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to go through a wallet a year.

I have an Oakley Kevlar wallet that's held up remarkably well for the five years I've had it.

[url]http://x.oakley.com/catalog/display/colors/accessories/wallets_money_clips/kevlar_wallet_small/black[/url]

Comes in Large or small size, Looks cool, is not overly pricey (17 to 20 bucks) looks cool, and is very functional.

Plus if anyone ever shoots you in the ass...[:D]

SG
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

and this puppy holds up.

it gets a thumbs up
View Quote

I got a Coach wallet about six or eight years ago and it's just recently started to show its age. They're expensive, but worth it if you don't have to replace them often.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Depends on whether you're a tightwad.  I have some friends whose wallets will probably survive a nuclear war.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and this puppy holds up.

it gets a thumbs up
View Quote

I got a Coach wallet about six or eight years ago and it's just recently started to show its age. They're expensive, but worth it if you don't have to replace them often.
View Quote

(cue music) I did it E-Bay! (dance number)

no really she is always looking around on there, she found herself a nice little coach bag, with te tags on it for under a hundred.

I mean Im not a cheapskate, but damn I love the bargain hunter in her.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate wallets.

I carry my cards on a rubberband and my money on a money clip.

NsB
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's my latest:

[url]http://www.tumi.com/products/index.cfm?ModelID=12439&bb_id=c13052&sub_site_id=5&TMI_PL_5_Link=Details[/url]

That pic sucks.  It's actually like a bifold but with another "wing" (where the ID window is) that folds out to form a "L" shape.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey, brou, that's the same brand name as my checkbook that I bought at Macy's.  Hmm...I think I may have to get one of those!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Wallet??? Whats a wallet?
I keep my cash in my pockets.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Just tossed out a 15+ YO nylon wallet. The one before that was one I made in Scouts.

I'm 52. do the math.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#20]
A wallet will last an eternity for me; I haven't carried one for years. Can't stand shit in my pockets.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#21]
i really dont like wallets, they are uncomfortable when sitting. i keep my cards and such in there, but the cash is in my pocket since i dont always have the wallet nearby. the one i have is bout 8 years old, lookin really goodlike
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Wilson Leather one (Tri-fold).  Used it every day for the past 5 years, and it isn't showing any signs of wear...

Must be a good one :)
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had my wallet (dunno what brand) for nearly 10 years.  My buddy gave it to me for my birthday one year, and I still carry it.  Its holding up well.  

Ya know, seeing as to how Milt Sparks and Kramer makes really good belts for CCW that are "broken in contoured", one could make a killing making and selling wallets that are pre-contoured to a generic ass shape.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Coach makes wallets using water buffalo leather, real tough stuff, but Coach is also part of the anti-gun company Sara Lee. I try not to buy anything from any anti-gun company whenever possible.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Got a leather one about 10 years ago, looks a little better then clusters. Still going strong
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Been using the same wallet for 15 years and it shows almost no wear.
Got it as a christmas present. Best wallet I've ever had.
It says Burnishing Buffalo by Bosca.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I think CrookShanks and Piccolo have it.  But...

Last month i retired the nylon and velcro wallet i bought back when i was in the Navy.  IN 1983!  Twenty years!
Its been around the world, been dog chewed, swum with, bled, shat, peed upon, dropped in cow shit, every-fucking-thing-you-can-imagine.
I just got tired of looking at it.  So i bought a Rolf's leather tri-fold.  Now i've got to re-learn all of my wallet etiquette.

P.s.  I still have it, I'm keeping it as a spare, just in case i need it. In the meantime it sits on the dresser in a place of honor as a testament to longevity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top