Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 8:31:04 AM EDT
This is what a guy said to me this weekend when I told him I have XX guns, some of them "military assault weapons" (my AR and my FAL). I do this sometimes for shock value. His response: "I'm afraid of you" or "You scare me" or something like that.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats a power you now have over him. At a whim you can make him your bitch, and he knows it.
BTW: I never tell people how many guns I own, just because of that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Take him out shooting & show him there is nothing to be afraid of.....or is there ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Another Christian.

View Quote

Nope.  Another nut.  Who happens to claim to be a Christian.

There are Christian nuts just like any other type.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another Christian.

View Quote

View Quote

Yeah, you're right.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Another Christian.
View Quote

That's got nothin to do with his fear.

Scott - Yet another Christian, among MANY on this board...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another Christian.

View Quote

View Quote

Gotcha there too! I'm a Christian AND a gun nut (ya don't scare me, my Father prepares my shield in the presence of mine enemies [;)])
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I say another Christian because most Christians I meet outside this board are anti-gun.

But that's not a slam against Christians.

He also said, What do you need those assault guns for? (Yawn).
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Other great Christians of the last 50 years.

George W. Bush

John F. Kennedy

Ted WIlliams

Sgtar15

John Wayne

Bob Hope

you get the idea........

Sgtar15

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I did not mean for this thread to be an attack on Christians.

It's just the typical anti-gun response: I'm afraid of you (because you have evil guns and will naturally want to kill people) mentality.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#10]
So take him out to the local range and introduce him to the fun and goodness that is shooting.

Works almost every time.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then why did you single them out?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#12]
My reply to "I'm afraid of you" would have been "Excellent. My plan is coming together."
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Then why did you single them out?

Sgtar15
View Quote

I didn't. He just happens to claim to be one. Irrelevant info in my post, I guess.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My reply to "I'm afraid of you" would have been "Excellent. My plan is coming together."
View Quote

Haha! Yes, it's fun to scare them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a guy say something similar to that once and I told him..."You shouldn't be afraid of the tool...just the user!"[:D]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#16]
thought Kennedy was a Roman Catholic?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thats a power you now have over him. At a whim you can make him your bitch, and he knows it.
BTW: I never tell people how many guns I own, just because of that.
View Quote

Yo,,,make him your Bitch
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#18]
You guys are pepetuating the problem.
Although I assume most of you are only joking.  

You missed a golden opportunity to introduce an anti-gun person to the fun and safety that we are familiar with at the range.  

Saying smart-ass things only makes it worse.  Don't ACT like a gun-nut when someone calls you one.  Act like a concerned citizen of a free country who wishes to remain that way and wishes the remain free to protect his family.

[b]take him shooting![/b]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Wasn't it Jesus that told his disiples to go out and buy a sword? Translate that to this day and age and he'd have told them to go out and buy a pistol. Food for thought.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm constantly amazed how easy it is to convert anti-gunners.  

A friend's wife (church every Sunday, guns-are-The-Devil ex-California resident) was watching us shoot.  We put a loaded hi-cap gun in her hand.  By the end of the first mag she was hooked; she burned through 300 rounds before we ran out of ammo.  She just kept saying how fun it was, and grinning ear to ear.  Kinda like the GA Hometown forum crew, actually.

If you like the guy, take him shooting.  However, a GA board member just got written up by HR for mentioning guns at work, and scaring some poor mouth-breathing liberal.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You missed a golden opportunity to introduce an anti-gun person to the fun and safety that we are familiar with at the range.  

Saying smart-ass things only makes it worse.  Don't ACT like a gun-nut when someone calls you one.  Act like a concerned citizen of a free country who wishes to remain that way and wishes the remain free to protect his family.

View Quote

What he said! Don't reinforce the "gun nut" image even in a joking manner.[:D]

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#22]
For some, living in fear/submission seems a natural way of life. For others, however, this is not an acceptable existence and we arm ourselves in order to correct the situation.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For some, living in fear/submission seems a natural way of life. For others, however, this is not an acceptable existence and we arm ourselves in order to correct the situation.
View Quote

It's interesting that anti's usually say it is gun owners who live in fear. "What do you have a gun for? What are you afraid of?"
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It's interesting that anti's usually say it is gun owners who live in fear. "What do you have a gun for? What are you afraid of?"
View Quote

Gun owners like ourselves don’t live in fear, we a have clearer view of the world and a more realistic appraisal of the risks and the willingness to take some responsibility in mitigating those risks.

The idea of guns to a anti brings up uncomfortable realities that they deal with by doing the equivalent of putting their fingers in their ears and saying “naananananananana – I can’t hear you”.  In other words, trying to pretend that bad things don’t exist if they refuse to acknowledge them.

As far as I’m concerned, WE have the more practical viewpoint.  We don’t cower in fear over things that would leave an anti trembling under their bed.  The downside is that being more aware of just how screwed up things are does lead to cynicism and despair at times.  The bliss-ninnies just think that everything is peachy because they say so.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Gun owners like ourselves don’t live in fear, we a have clearer view of the world and a more realistic appraisal of the risks and the willingness to take some responsibility in mitigating those risks.

The idea of guns to a anti brings up uncomfortable realities that they deal with by doing the equivalent of putting their fingers in their ears and saying “naananananananana – I can’t hear you”.  In other words, trying to pretend that bad things don’t exist if they refuse to acknowledge them.

As far as I’m concerned, WE have the more practical viewpoint.  We don’t cower in fear over things that would leave an anti trembling under their bed.  The downside is that being more aware of just how screwed up things are does lead to cynicism and despair at times.  The bliss-ninnies just think that everything is peachy because they say so.
View Quote

Yes, I agree. A girl said "I wouldn't want my husband to have a gun 24/7. I mean, I've never been a victim of a crime." (Duh!)
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Other great Christians of the last 50 years.

George W. Bush

John F. Kennedy

Ted WIlliams

Sgtar15

John Wayne

Bob Hope

you get the idea........

Sgtar15

View Quote

I can NOT BELEIVE you included yourself (twice) and not me even ONCE on the list of "great Christians" of the last 50.

Has all my time here been in vain????

[:D]

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't reinforce the "gun nut" image even in a joking manner.[:D]

[devil]
View Quote

Yeah, that works in theory, but in reality, these people heard it on TV that gun owners are whacked, and theres no educating them out of their ignorance.

That accounts for about nine out of ten of them.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Good Christians obey scripture.  From the mouth of Jesus himself:  "He that hath no sword should sell his robe and buy one."  Luke 22:36
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Apologies to clean_cut for reintroducing teh subject, but there seems to be ALOT of misgiving about "Christians" opinions about guns.

It doesn't matter what "Christian" beleive about guns. it only matters what Scripture says.

So, SOON, I'm gonna post a detailed explanation of the Scriptural position on firearms. And it goes WAY farther than "go buy a sword."

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Apologies to clean_cut for reintroducing teh subject, but there seems to be ALOT of misgiving about "Christians" opinions about guns.

It doesn't matter what "Christian" beleive about guns. it only matters what Scripture says.

So, SOON, I'm gonna post a detailed explanation of the Scriptural position on firearms. And it goes WAY farther than "go buy a sword."

View Quote

Christians today forget people like David, a man after God's own heart, who was a warrior and skilled with weapons of war.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Catholics fall under the "Christians" category.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

New Guy, take a chill pill. Someone who says that they don't know anything about guns or has never had an opportunity to shoot guns or is a little intimidated by guns gets an offer to go to the range from me. Someone who says they fear me because I have guns and know how to use them gets only scorn from me. They have staked out a position based on emotion and can't be swayed by facts. They are sheep. They are prey.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, and?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

New Guy, take a chill pill. Someone who says that they don't know anything about guns or has never had an opportunity to shoot guns or is a little intimidated by guns gets an offer to go to the range from me....
View Quote

And if that doesn't work...well, then we need to get to business and clean up the gene pool.

I'm kidding....Really!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Actually, not necessarily true.

A Christian is one who follows the teachings of Christ - without intentional exception.

The Roman Catholic Church vioaltes Christ EXPRESS commands / teachings  in several areas. Two specific come to mind -

1. Salvation by faith alone thru grace alone.

2. The prohibition against calling any man on earth "Father" (with a capital "F". not to include biological fathers)

Whether a Catholic is a true follower of Christ (to wit, a Christian ) is ultimately ONLY  a matter than specific individual can settle with God, tho a persons actions / beleifs can give us hints.

I just have a HUGE problem with people claiming Christs name, then routinely and intentionally disobeying His commands / teachings

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got your copy of Jack Chick's "The Devil's Wafer" handy, do you?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:I can NOT BELEIVE you included yourself (twice) and not me even ONCE on the list of "great Christians" of the last 50.

Has all my time here been in vain????

[:D]

View Quote

I am truly sorry Gman....but I am saving your name for a [i]differant[/i] list.[;)]

Sgtar15

[white][size=6]MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!![/size=6][/white]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Got your copy of Jack Chick's "The Devil's Wafer" handy, do you?
View Quote

I've heard of him, but I'm not really familiar with his stuff.

How about we debate the substance of my post, rather than you trying to pigeon hole me into someone elses beleif system by putting words in my mouth.

[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

A Christian is one who follows the teachings of Christ - without intentional exception.

The Roman Catholic Church vioaltes Christ EXPRESS commands / teachings  in several areas. Two specific come to mind -

1. Salvation by faith alone thru grace alone.

2. The prohibition against calling any man on earth "Father" (with a capital "F". not to include biological fathers)

Whether a Catholic is a true follower of Christ (to wit, a Christian ) is ultimately ONLY  a matter than specific individual can settle with God, tho a persons actions / beleifs can give us hints.

I just have a HUGE problem with people claiming Christs name, then routinely and intentionally disobeying His commands / teachings

View Quote

Well wheres the freaken Halo!?!!  I know you don't want to get into a faith bashing contest Gman, but if thats all you got them I will say we Catholics are pretty secure.  All faiths have variances.  I never heard of #2 and # 1 is up to interpitation IMHO.

An Catholics ARE CChristians...were the ones that coined that term remeber??  Where was your church in the first 1000 after Christ??

Hmm?

SGtar15
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wasn't it Jesus that told his disiples to go out and buy a sword? Translate that to this day and age and he'd have told them to go out and buy a pistol. Food for thought.
View Quote

No no no!  Today, it would translate into:  "Go out and buy AR's.  And make sure to get at least 10 mags per rifle along with a case of IMI M193."[:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#41]
So many guns.....so little time...what would Jeasus do?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well wheres the freaken Halo!?!!  I know you don't want to get into a faith bashing contest Gman, but if thats all you got them I will say we Catholics are pretty secure.  All faiths have variances.  I never heard of #2 and # 1 is up to interpitation IMHO.

View Quote

If "Catholics" meet the requirement of NOT contradicting Christs stated commands and teaching in their statement of doctrine, and are obedient to them to the best of their ability, the most notable command being to have received Jesus CHrist as Lord and Savior, they YES, they are Christians.

An Catholics ARE CChristians...were the ones that coined that term remeber??  
View Quote

I beleive you are incorrect.

The term "Chrisitan" was coined by pagan Romans as a term of derision meaning "little Christs" meaning they were attempting to imitate Christ.

Thus if you are not "imitating Christ" I don't care WHAT you call yourself. You're no Christian.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is what a guy said to me this weekend when I told him I have XX guns, some of them "military assault weapons" (my AR and my FAL). I do this sometimes for shock value. His response: "I'm afraid of you" or "You scare me" or something like that.

View Quote

Do any of your guns have FA or burst?  If so, they are assault rifles.  If not, they are simply semiautomatic rifles.  In either case, they are not "military assault weapons", as the military does not use so-called "assault weapons" and there is no such thing as a "semiautomatic assault weapon" in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Back on topic:

Had a fellow at work give me the other standard line when they find out I have one of those evil black rifles:  "Boy, when the SHTF, I'm coming over to your house!"

My response:  "That wouldn't be advisable; under those circumstances I won't be accepting visitors."

Got awful quiet after that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#45]
you should have asked for his wallet [:p]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:51:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've heard of him, but I'm not really familiar with his stuff.
View Quote

Sure you are, because we've had this exact same discussion in the past.

How about we debate the substance of my post, rather than you trying to pigeon hole me into someone elses beleif system by putting words in my mouth.
View Quote

There is no substance to your post, just your judgement of someone else's substance.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:16:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
There is no substance to your post, just your judgement of someone else's substance.
View Quote

Uhmmmm...yeah...OK...whatever.

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#48]
God told me to get lots of guns, and tonight he's gonna tell me what to do with them.

but it's all right, I had subway!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#49]
I was all set to whip out a really witty reply to this…

… but since this thread has degenerated into the kind where one proud Christian ARFKOMMER feels the need to bump into the other on their sprint to nail themselves to a cross – I’ll just sit back and enjoy my Quiznos (not Subway – [I]gack![/I])
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top