Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 7:22:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Yea...and it might have helped stall the Allied advance and delayed the war another few months, had not Sepp Deitrich's tanks run into a dug-in 101st Airborne Division at a critical crossroads in Belgium known as Bastogne.

By holding up the Germans, the Band of Brothers of the Screaming Eagles, gave Ike time to reconstitute his forces, prepare a proper defense and then go back on the attack.

Ultimately, the Battle of the Bulge was a disaster for the Germans.  It lasted over six weeks and doomed the Heer totally.

NUTS!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I was honored to shoot a Thompson during my vacation that was i]actually in the Battle of the Bulge.

Damn, what history. Best part was when he told me the story I knew at the time what it [i]really[/ meant.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Two of my favorite quotes from this part of history...

"They've got us surrounded... the poor bastards."

"We're paratroopers, we're supposed to be surrounded."
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Two of my favorite quotes from this part of history...

"They've got us surrounded... the poor bastards."

"We're paratroopers, we're supposed to be surrounded."
View Quote

Damn! Beat me to it!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
"Nuts." Gen. McAuliffe
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]
weird...i just watched episode 5 of Band of Brothers...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=1640&iGalleryUnq=1026&iImageUnq=20605[/img]

from [url]http://www.falconbrigade.com/regiment/history.html[/url]:

Most people the world-over know the above soldier as being from the 82d Airborne Division and saying "I'm the 82d Airborne, this is as far as the bastards are going." Some even know that this soldier was in the 325th Glider Infantry Regiment during World War II. However very few know the real story behind the photo. This photo and statement will forever remain a part of history.

The statement was made on 23 December, 1944 by a PFC Martin (First name unknown) while the 325th GIR was in Fraiture, Belgium. As the story goes Elements of the U.S 3rd Armored Division were retreating from the Germans in the Ardennes forest when a sergeant in a tank destroyer spotted an American digging a foxhole. The GI, PFC Martin, of CO F, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment looked up and asked " Are you looking for a safe place?" "Yeah" answered the tanker. "Well, buddy," he drawled, "just pull your tank in behind me.....I'm the 82d Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going!"  

Co F, 325th GIR Infantry suffered the most losses at the Baraque de Fraiture crossroads but they stood their ground until COL Billingslea gave permission to come out. Ultimately only forty-four of the original one hundred sixteen who had gone to the crossroads returned to their own lines.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:46:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:47:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:52:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top