Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 5:09:22 AM EDT
I'm teaching ccw and will also be doing NRA Basic Handgun training.  One of my courses will be for people who have never fired a thing in their lives.  I'm going to start them on .22lr pistols.

If you were running this course and had many different students who had NEVER even HANDLED a gun, what .22lr pistol would you go with?

Thanks,

Mike

PS.  Cross-posting to handgun board as well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:14:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Ruger Mark II. They are inexpensive used, and accurate so that the student shoots well and is encouraged.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto the Ruger MkII.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ruger Mark II. They are inexpensive used, and accurate so that the student shoots well and is encouraged.
View Quote

What he said! [:D]

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:20:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Ruger Mark II.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:29:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Come on get past the MKII and go with the 22/45.  Same to similar features as the 1911's and others.  Slide release, mag release and isn't much more than a MKII.

At least IMO
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:30:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Going against the herd here and would recommend an S&W Mod 18.  This is the 4inch .22 Masterpiece.

It's seems IMHO folks tend to learn better on a revolver and then transition to a semi.  So many people out there today have never held a revolver much less shot one.  A revolver is the perfect weapon to overcome flinching and other problems.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Well since i have a Ruger Mk I and a Mk II I would wholeheartedly recommend the Mk II![:D]

Inexpensive, accurate, reliable and loved by millions![bounce]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:34:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Walther P22
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:36:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for the Ruger...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with the revolver idea.  I'd get SA 22 LR revolvers.  I would want to start with the simplist firearm concept and then work them into DA and semi autos.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

First responce was spot on this would be my 2nd choice

[b]cigardad
Going against the herd here and would recommend an S&W Mod 18. This is the 4inch .22 Masterpiece. [/b]

My wife would rather shoot the little S&W

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#12]
First Choice = MKII
Second Choice = 1911 Conversion to .22lr
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Ruger MkII,

Practice stripping and reassembly. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Browning Buckmark. Centerfire handgun controls.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Ruger Mark II. People always talk about starting with a revolver, but in this scenario that's like starting with a BB gun and graduating to a pellet gun. The difference is small. Once one is familiar with a semi such as the Mark II, a revolver won't be a problem. General safety and marksmanship rules apply the same no matter the gun. I love my 512, one of my favorite firearms that I own. Makes a can dance at 15 yards no problem.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd go with a good SA revolver. You could get a dual cylinder Ruger SA in 22lr/22Mag., that way they could move up alittle at a time. OR you could get the SA Ruger in .17HMR, that'd be a real hoot to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Ruger 22/45, which is basically just a MkII with a polymer frame and a slightly different grip angle. It is lighter and cheaper. And just as easy to put back together. [:\]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Just my 2 cents.
If the person was going to carry a revolver, I would start them with a 22 Revolover. I would keep the barrel length to 2". This way it is closer to the actual size they would carry.
If they want a semi, I would have the 22/45 with a 4" bull barrel. Once again to simulate the carry piece.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#20]
When i bring novices shooting i use an H&R 999  Sportsman.
I like it because:  It takes all kinds of ammo (LR, longs, shorts-this can not be stressed enough, some people expect a huge explosion and when they experience the short, it's like "oh, wow, that's easy" and then I ween them up to LR), All one has to do to de-activate it is flip it open (this seems to provide comfort to people who are worried about what to do if it malfunctions), The grip frame is large enought to get a good grip on but not too large,  with a six inch barrell the sights are big and easy to use, operates single/double action.

What I don't like: Not particularly accurate (but that's not really important the first time i bring 'em to the range, we're only shooting at about ten yards), Trigger is rough and stacks (but we are not shooting any matches here!).

As always YMMV,
RogerBall
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Come on get past the MKII and go with the 22/45.  Same to similar features as the 1911's and others.  Slide release, mag release and isn't much more than a MKII.

At least IMO
View Quote

[b]Exactly.  The similar controls are a great reason, and the .45 handgrip will serve to introduce them to the controls on larger handguns, like "the venerable Colt 1911."[/b]

(someone, in another thread, said that term is overused, so I wanted to fit it in somewhere.  I happen to like it.)
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I really have to go against the crowd and say Colt 22 Target (not sure of actual model, but I think this is it).
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Id say a good .22 revolver for those who want to use a revolver, and a Walther P22 for those who carry a semi auto handgun, mainly because the Walther P22 is practically identical in feel and function to most semi pistols
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you for all the suggestions!  Looking them over, I see a lot of recommendations for the Ruger Mark II or Ruger 22/45.  For this specific pistol, some folks have written saying that newbies can slice up their thumbs due to the bolt design.  Has anyone here witnessed such an accident?  If so, how did it happen?

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#25]
walther p22

functions like a "REAL" sa/da semi-auto pistol so new skills will not have be learned when transitioning to a larger caliber. Reliable accurate and fun. easy to take down and clean so maintanance can be taught as well.

mike
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thank you for all the suggestions!  Looking them over, I see a lot of recommendations for the Ruger Mark II or Ruger 22/45.  For this specific pistol, some folks have written saying that newbies can slice up their thumbs due to the bolt design.  Has anyone here witnessed such an accident?  If so, how did it happen?

Thanks,

Mike
View Quote

Well, upon your question, I took it upon myself to get out my wife's 22/45 and "fondle" it.  While it has never been a problem for her or myself (and if something can hurt you, she will find it).  But, I did find a sharp edge.  It is the rear part of the bolt that you pull back to cock the weapon.  If you keep your fingers on it, while it goes back into battery, there are sharp edges and you can pinch your fingers.  (thanks for getting me into this predicament, BTW)  However, as most gun folks know or are quickly told, don't hold a slide or bolt on an automatic pistol as it returns to battery or it may not fully close.  That explains why it was never a problem for us.  But if you don't know better or you are reading stuff on the internet and feeling like doing a little investigating, I can see how it could happen.
[whacko]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#27]
the sliceing of the thumb can happen on any semi if the shooter has seen too many movies and rap the support hand thumb around the rear of the slide BANG!!!OWW!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I have instructed several kids and like the idea
of revolver first then semi both in 22lr
the revolver is important becuse it doesn't go off as easy as an auto loader you can load only one at a time but that get old very fast get the safety down with a good double action revlover then even the same day to a semi ruger are very good the browning buckmark is also very nice and inexpensive barrel length 4 to 6 in. just for fun  makes for easy control and keep them pointing down range good luck bring them new shooter along for the fun
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#29]
deringer......[:p]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Another positive about the 22/45 is the trigger is pretty smooth.  It isn't any fun if they aren't hitting what they point at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top