Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 4:19:17 AM EDT
After finishing up a couple of case notes (2:00 AM), I decided to head out to the 24 hr Walgreens near my apartment complex.  I was in and out.  On my way home, a little kitten darted out into the street...BAM!  I went about a block, but it was bugging me so much that I flipped a U and headed back.  I parked and walked out to the poor kitty to see the damage.  It was bleeding profusely from its head and twitching.  I picked him up and laid him on the grass.  He twitched some more and then he kinda LOOKED at me...then he died.  Sheesh.  I know it's only a cat, but I felt bad.  Plus, lately I've been on this trip about life and how short it is and how I gotta get in touch with those around me a bit more.  It was just a weird thing to happen as I've been contemplating life more and seeking my spiritual side...or maybe it's freaking late and I'm just getting wacky on the 'puter!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#1]
[ROFL2]
Happens every day, get over it, or not -- whatever.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
awwwww, get over it !! in the past 50 years i have probaly killed well over a 1,000 of them..., most by shooting.....!!! which i believe is better than gassing them & throwing them in a pile at the local dump........
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:18:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep it up, it just gets easier, & easier as you get moor. I felt like that after the 1st 3. or 4 myself. (just joking! I really never felt bad)[lol]

Sorry it made you feel bad, & that the kitten got killed. It wasn't your fault, cats do that sort of stuff.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Blame the owners of the cat for letting it out loose, not on a leash. Don't blame yourself for someone elses stupidity.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
next time just run over it again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Accidents happen. It sucks, yeah. I flattened one similarly once. I was on my way to work and stopped to see if it was dead. It wasn't, so I put it down with a head shot. Felt bad about it, really, but there wasn't anything I could have done to avoid it. Animals are like humans. When you're number's up it's up, plain and simple. That cat's number was up.

Besides, at least you're not one of those fucksticks that goes around swerving to hit animals on purpose. Got a few stories about a few of those guys, but that's another thread.[:D]

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Cats.............
the other white meat.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~standard26/freecat.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#9]
It happens, man.  [:(]  Sucks, but it happens.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Do NOT touch a wounded animal with your bare hands...you are just asking for a serous bite or scratch.

BTW, did you notice all those dead bugs on the grill of your car?  Did you stop and mourn for them?  Or is there a cutoff on the empathy scale?  [;)]

TRG
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:33:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do NOT touch a wounded animal with your bare hands...you are just asking for a serous bite or scratch.

BTW, did you notice all those dead bugs on the grill of your car?  Did you stop and mourn for them?  Or is there a cutoff on the empathy scale?  [;)]

TRG
View Quote

Trying for a Hinduism conversion ??
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote

Trying for a Hinduism conversion ??
View Quote

ROFL...fluffy kitties get more respect than butterfiles these days.  [;)]

TRG
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:45:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe a little story will help.  One night in highschool a cat ran out in front of my car. I slammed on the brakes, swerved into the ditch, and did about $1,200 damage to my car.

The cat was still dead as hell and I was out of a car.  Since then it's been swerve if I can but bump bump sorry if I can't.

Shit happens!

Tj
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#14]
[shock]Where the hell are the normal responses?

1)"if it was my cat I would have followed you home, burned your house down and ......"

2)"you are at fault because....."  

Are you guys just feeling "Christmasy" or what?[:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maybe a little story will help.  One night in highschool a cat ran out in front of my car. I slammed on the brakes, swerved into the ditch, and did about $1,200 damage to my car.

The cat was still dead as hell and I was out of a car.  Since then it's been swerve if I can but bump bump sorry if I can't.

Shit happens!

Tj
View Quote

As a Driver's Education Instructor, I tried to explain to the students the folly of swerving to avoid small animals.  They never listened.  

Dead fluffy vs. Crossing the centerline and hitting a vehicle, swerving off the side and losing control in the ditch...not a good choice.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Cardinal rule in our house:
NEVER EVER swerve to miss an animal. Better to have it under or on top than to roll your car, besides, just because you swerve doesn't mean that the stupid animal isn't going to continue it's suicide mission and still get to the underside of your rig.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit happens!

Tj
View Quote

As a Driver's Education Instructor, I tried to explain to the students the folly of swerving to avoid small animals.  They never listened.  

Dead fluffy vs. Crossing the centerline and hitting a vehicle, swerving off the side and losing control in the ditch...not a good choice.

TRG
View Quote

Yep buddy that's one I learned the hardway.

I'm afraid my drivers ed teacher was a tree hugger.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll bet the anti-gunners would be shocked to see a firearms enthusiast showing remorse over a needless death, even if it's "only a cat".

Anyway, a kitten out by itself in the middle of the night suggests it either escaped (from unwary keepers) or was orphaned/abandoned/booted by its mother.

If it was moron owners, then this would have happened sooner or later.  Sucks to be you, though.  (This is why my wife's cat is strictly an indoor cat.)

If the kitten was a stray, then it died um, easily.  Consider some alternatives:
Exposure
Starvation
Dogs/other predators
Moron teenagers

Life doesn't have to be short - e-mail for details.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#19]
This is worth a repeat:

[url]users.abcs.com/townsend/cat-kettle.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I nailed a cat on my motorcycle while I was going well over 120 mph.

I felt bad for fluffy and it took me two days to get fluffy off of the forks, radiator, pipes and the underside of the fairing.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Sheeeet!!  Hitting cats is the main reason I ever drive!

On weekends I got out and cruise the hood just to see how many cats I can hit in one night!  Once I bagged 5 in a 2 hours period.  I was able to feed the family for a week from that one night!!

SGtar15
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#22]
in my neighborhood some lady swurved to miss a small animal and ended up putting a girl in a wheel chair.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#23]
FWIW...I NEVER swerve to avoid an animal.
Not just for the previously mentioned reasons, but if I swerve to miss a deer, and hit a tree. I am at fault. If I hit a deer...insurance company pays for damages (less deductable).

To my credit, I have 2 deer, 1 fox, 1 cat at least 6 raccoons, and coutless possum, squirrel, rabbit and chipmunks. Also, 1 pheasant, 1 turkey (small one thankfully) 2 ducks and a few doves. I am not proud of these hits, just a natural hazzard of driving 17 miles each way to and from work thru the Horicon Marsh area. Early morning and early evening. God knows how many time I nailed the brakes to avoid an accident with wildlife. Never did I swerve. If I had, I would have either crossed the center line and hit another vehicle, or gone splash into the marsh or rolled my truck down a hill. Neither one sounds good to me.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sheeeet!!  Hitting cats is the main reason I ever drive!

On weekends I got out and cruise the hood just to see how many cats I can hit in one night!  Once I bagged 5 in a 2 hours period.  I was able to feed the family for a week from that one night!!

SGtar15
View Quote

You must be white, because if you were black you wouldn't eat...nevermind  [;)]

TRG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top